Cow and CIDR???

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Well, this was the first time we tried to get a cow in the chute and just couldn't do it. She was just not cooperating. We were trying to remove her CIDR (and Lute her; she was in the midst of TAI protocol). We will def have to get her (and others) in chute next weekend (weaning and a preg check). I assume it won't hurt her to leave the Cidr in an extra week? (two weeks total). (We called off the AI, will probably sell her as open with calf at side, as she was out of our calving schedule, not really due to any fault of hers).

Can u just go ahead with it, lute her and breed her accordingly. 14 days will still work. Just curious is she worth giving an extra 7 days?
You really don't have to have her in the chute to do that, alleyway will work, I have done it just walking behind them.

bse":19cfsrl5 said:
Can u just go ahead with it, lute her and breed her accordingly. 14 days will still work. Just curious is she worth giving an extra 7 days?
You really don't have to have her in the chute to do that, alleyway will work, I have done it just walking behind them.

She's a nice registered BA. She was born late summer and is only 3 now so is our latest calver. Has given us 2 nice calves but since we are 100% AI, we had to do a synch just for her. (We sometimes can catch one on natural heat but it's logistically trickier for us). Our problem was no buddies wanted to come along and keep her company in the chute; cows were out in a far field; and even though we got her calf with her, she balked. Plus one of our guys didn't show up to help. Just one of those things....
Tried to sneak up on her and yank it out but we'd cut it a bit short so not enough to grab before she wised up!

I have some cows like that, no problem to work through the race when with the mob but pick them out individually and they smell the rat. Funny though whenever they are on heat I never have any trouble putting them through by themselves, it is as though they know they are broke and they need to go through so I can fix them up. No wonder it is referred to as having them "settled".

Ken

wbvs58":16u36ipy said:
I have some cows like that, no problem to work through the race when with the mob but pick them out individually and they smell the rat. Funny though whenever they are on heat I never have any trouble putting them through by themselves, it is as though they know they are broke and they need to go through so I can fix them up. No wonder it is referred to as having them "settled".

Ken

this is embarrassing but one of mine, when the tech AI's her, moans very low in a rather particular way! :oops:

Latest posts