Cow agitated

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Have a cow that calved last week(3 Aug) without any problems. Afterbirth out cleanly. She did not touch her morning food and her milk dropped to half. She walks around smelling the ground,shakes/kicks a back leg now and then and eventually lies down.Her eyes are bulging,she is agitated and in pain. Took her temp at midday,36 deg(should be between 37,5-39,5 deg) so no fever. Gave her a shot of Terramycin LA,anti-inflammatory and an appitite stimulant incase it is a virus or something. Afternoon feeding,almost no milk and won't touch food. I strongly suspect it could be a wire that was taken in some time back and now with the whole calving issue has pieced through somewhere. Your opinions will be appreciated.
Thanx

Does she have bowel movement? Does she stand with an arched back? Is she salivating excessively? Inserting a magnet cannot hurt, but hardware isn't nearly as common as it's diagnosed. Which anti-inflammatory are you using? Predef?

Have not seen any bowel movement. No arching of back, some pawing of ground though. Most of my older cows have magnets inserted, unfortunetly not this one. Am using Fenylbutazone-ok?

I am thinking twisted stomach. Bute would not be my choice as an anti inflammatory, it is banned for use on cattle in some places .

I think you are going to have to get a vet out.

alisonb":1d5ewqy7 said:
Have not seen any bowel movement. No arching of back, some pawing of ground though. Most of my older cows have magnets inserted, unfortunetly not this one. Am using Fenylbutazone-ok?

Fenylbutazone is banned for use in animals meant for food production, it is also meant more for arthitic and muscle pains and strains, Predef would be my prefered anti-inflammatory. How does she walk, does she grunt like she's in pain? Do you have a headgate? You need to get the rumen going ASAP, glove up and have a feel what her dung is like. Then i'll be better able to help.

KNERSIE":ufhhlslm said:
alisonb":ufhhlslm said:

Fenylbutazone is banned for use in animals meant for food production, it is also meant more for arthitic and muscle pains and strains, Predef would be my prefered anti-inflammatory. How does she walk, does she grunt like she's in pain? Do you have a headgate? You need to get the rumen going ASAP, glove up and have a feel what her dung is like. Then i'll be better able to help.

Phenylbutazone is banned for use in animals meant for food production
Lactating dairy cattle as well , and when absorbed in humans has had very adverse effects .

The other thing is that it is qualified as a non steroidal so how would that help to increase appetite. :?

Predef would be the one to use for an anti inflam. , and twisted stomach or twisted bowel it needs attention asap. Get your vet out.

Perhaps an RDA (right displaced abomasum) - can be fatal in 12 hours. LDAs usually can go several weeks, but an RDA is a complete twist and a medical emergency if you wish to save the cow.

alisonb":3uniung1 said:
Have a cow that calved last week(3 Aug) without any problems. Afterbirth out cleanly. She did not touch her morning food and her milk dropped to half. She walks around smelling the ground,shakes/kicks a back leg now and then and eventually lies down.Her eyes are bulging,she is agitated and in pain. Took her temp at midday,36 deg(should be between 37,5-39,5 deg) so no fever. Gave her a shot of Terramycin LA,anti-inflammatory and an appitite stimulant incase it is a virus or something. Afternoon feeding,almost no milk and won't touch food. I strongly suspect it could be a wire that was taken in some time back and now with the whole calving issue has pieced through somewhere. Your opinions will be appreciated.
Thanx

Did you check to make sure she was not carrying twins?

Last night i injected her with cortizone and gave her a bottle of stomach supplement. Today she is still down and only drank water. She does not seem to be able to get up. She is lying on all four legs and moans/grunts periodically. The stomach did not work last night but the feaces(what i could find internally) do look normal.Yesterday was a holiday here so But was all i could get hold of in the emergency.The best of all--the vet can only get here at noon!!!

Thanks for all the advice-the vet diagnosed LDA. Gave cow 2xCalcitad + Phosamine IV.Apparently this would 'perhaps' get contractions going and everything would fall into place.Gave it 50/50 chance of correcting if not an operation would be needed.
Well i am pleased to inform you all that she is up licking her calf,eating and drinking.The vet also gave here 2 more drenches.This is the first time i have ever experienced a 'twisted' stomach-sooo much to learn!!
Thanx again
Alison

alisonb":nb1gx76f said:
Thanks for all the advice-the vet diagnosed LDA. Gave cow 2xCalcitad + Phosamine IV.Apparently this would 'perhaps' get contractions going and everything would fall into place.Gave it 50/50 chance of correcting if not an operation would be needed.
Well i am pleased to inform you all that she is up licking her calf,eating and drinking.The vet also gave here 2 more drenches.This is the first time i have ever experienced a 'twisted' stomach-sooo much to learn!!
Thanx again
Alison

That is great Alison, and no surgery too. Congrats, I hope she continues to fully recover. Thanks for the update.