cow acting strange. any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
When I came home earlier today I noticed 1 cow laying down at the creek alone. This is usually a sign that something is happening. She shouldn't be due to calve until September but she has a clear diacharge coming from her vagina. She seem very lethargic? Could she be miscarrying? Can thw calf survive if its this early? The cow is approximately 10 years old and calves last on September 9,2013

She could be, or she could have a respritory problem, bellyache, or any of a thousand other things.

It is not uncommon for my older cows to go lay down in later pregnancy. They have less room for feed and they seem to lay around more. It is also not uncommon for them to have a clear discharge several weeks before calving. But definitely worth watching her.
Good luck!

If she has a heavy discharge from her vagina, get as close as you can and see if you can detect a dead smell. If the calf has died at an early stage and she may not miscarriage it but it can stay and the body rot, causing a bad uteriel infection and can even cause death.

Latest posts