Cow abuse on local news.

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Seen this on our local news last night. Seems this guy don't care much for his aninals or his wallet.

Dead Cows Found on Barren County Farms
Ashley Davidson

"It's pitiful. You've got pictures of them and what not and you can see. It's pitiful. To be honest with you some of them look like a two-by-four."

Joe Green lives next door to one of the farms where some 42 dead cows have been found. Department of Agriculture officials got a call from neighbors about the animals.

George Offutt is an Ag Investigator. He says, "We came in, started looking and of course we did find several dead animals. As time progressed we found more and more."

Some of the cows were found in creeks that feed into the Barren River. The Department of Environmental Services and Animal Control have been contacted to dispose properly of the corpses.

Offutt says, "Between this location of this farm and another farm we're looking at approximately 42 animals at this time."

Green says, "And it's gonna take some tender loving care or a bunch more is gonna die."

Trailers were brought in to take the surviving cattle off the property. Animal Control will test the animals to see if they are diseased. Meanwhile, the Department of Agriculture investigators are trying to figure out why so many animals are dead.

Offutt says, "Well, it is disturbing. It makes you wonder what people are thinking to let something like this happen."

The Barren County Sheriff tells WBKO Tom Holmes Sr. is facing previous animal cruelty charges. Holmes Sr. was charged with second-degree animals cruelty in June of 2004. He is pleading not guilty in that case. Now, he will be charged with second-degree animal cruelty again, as well as improper disposal of dead animals.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/1313426.html

That is a lot of money to just let them die :shock: I wonder if they were pledged against a loan was the reason he did not sell them and did not have money to feed them. The article doesn't answer much. I would be interested in more info if you come acrost this. Things like this give the cattle ind. as a whole a huge blackeye :mad:
your friend
Mike

mwj":14oy2696 said:
That is a lot of money to just let them die :shock: I wonder if they were pledged against a loan was the reason he did not sell them and did not have money to feed them. The article doesn't answer much. I would be interested in more info if you come acrost this. Things like this give the cattle ind. as a whole a huge blackeye :mad:
your friend
Mike

Quite possible about the owner.

No...doesn't give the cattle industry a black eye since it is such an outrageous case of neglect and abuse. No one would blame the rest of us for such action. What it does do is communicate that there are too many scumbags out there that like to "own" animals of any kind but have neither the common sense, intelligence, or character to properly care for animals. Yes, they should be put in jail and forever barred from having animals on their property. (Exception: someone that no one looked in on and found the owner was in critical health or incapacitated and couldn't care for or was unable to call for help over period of time---BUT, this would be a 1 in a million event).

this happened a few years ago nearby (father & son operation). It made me wonder if you can't afford, or for some reason are unable to take care of your animals, why not sell them???????? Even if the cattle prices are at a rock bottom, it's still more money then what you get from a dead cow! That is just SICK! :mad: I hope he gets charged with animal abuse or neglect, and is never allowed another cow on the farm.

About a year ago something like this happened in oregon. Except it was with horses instead of cows. A couple had something like 100 horses. When the county went in there were 4 or 5 dead ones and a bunch that were skin and bones. I think they lost a few more but saved most of them. People that do stuff like this make me sick. there is no excuse.
Ali

No excuse for this type of thing to go on. The person or persons responsible for this need a good ole fashioned a** whipping. One that they won't forget.

happend here couple years ago but with horses, horses were part of property dispute in divorce, he got the place she got the horses, she moved off he was suppose to look after them till she could move them. he just let'm go. i think about 20 or s finally either died or had to be put down.it was a real mess, he did it for spite.

Latest posts