Cow aborted calf in last trimester

Help Support CattleToday:

Lone Elm

Reaction score
I was expecting a newly purchased cow to have a calf today, according to her data from the sale catalog last April. Instead, I noticed the bull dogging her and she seems to be in heat. That means she must have lost her calf at least 21 days ago - right? I have been keeping a close eye on her except for about a week ( Aug 3 - Aug 9) when I was attending ET school. It was really hot in Oklahoma that week. So what could have happened? Should she be tested for something? I would think that late trimester abortions would be a little unusual. Any ideas? :cry2:

Contact the folks from the sale. If she was sold as gauranteed bred she should have a calf. That's the simple part of it.

Well, if she was bred when she showed up at your place that does not mean she stayed bred while she was there

The contract was "bred"

Might not even have been her fault

Cows have knocked calves out of other cows before and will do it again - and she was in with others

You got a cow guaranteed bred delivered and you accepted that animal - that does not mean a guaranteed calf on the ground - I wish it did - so do a lot of other folks I know. It would be nice if every bred cow I ever owned put a calf on the ground - does not work that way.

You own her and the folks you bought her from "can make nice" if they chose - so I might be real careful how I approach them - otherwise let the bull breed her and take your lumps

Schitte happens and we all have been there.

Best to ya'

Bez+

Have a good look at her.

Not long ago I saw a close-to-calving heifer in 'standing heat'. Next morning she was mothering a calf. Can and does happen. If I'm uncertain I'd check her out inside - but first look to see if her right side is full or hollow, not 100% but a pretty good guide to whether she's still in calf or not.

Cows can come back into heat within ten days of calving, doesn't have to be a full three weeks.
I wouldn't call a cow aborting at six to nine months unusual - I see one or two most years.

Lone Elm":2334yz0e said:
I was expecting a newly purchased cow to have a calf today, according to her data from the sale catalog last April. Instead, I noticed the bull dogging her and she seems to be in heat. That means she must have lost her calf at least 21 days ago - right? I have been keeping a close eye on her except for about a week ( Aug 3 - Aug 9) when I was attending ET school. It was really hot in Oklahoma that week. So what could have happened? Should she be tested for something? I would think that late trimester abortions would be a little unusual. Any ideas? :cry2:

Don't give up on her yet unless you're 100% sure she aborted...... I've had cattle that were 30 days from calving stand and allow a bull to mount them and actually penetrate them.

Cows in good condition that lose a calf can be in standing heat easily 7-10 days after birth if it was an easy birth. So, she could easily have calved while you were gone - Aug 3 to Aug 27 is 24 days!

Bez+":1a4nr0gw said:
Well, if she was bred when she showed up at your place that does not mean she stayed bred while she was there

The contract was "bred"

Cows have knocked calves out of other cows before and will do it again - and she was in with others

You got a cow guaranteed bred delivered and you accepted that animal - that does not mean a guaranteed calf on the ground - I wish it did - so do a lot of other folks I know. It would be nice if every bred cow I ever owned put a calf on the ground - does not work that way.

You own her and the folks you bought her from "can make nice" if they chose - so I might be real careful how I approach them - otherwise let the bull breed her and take your lumps

Best to ya'

Bez+

Talked to numerous vets on this issue and they said there is no way in be nice that a cow can get butted or kicked and lose a calf there is to much stomach fatty tissue protecting it. I agree with caustic, either neospora or even likelier lepto.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":5fddlgpx said:
Bez+":5fddlgpx said:

The contract was "bred"

Best to ya'

Bez+

Talked to numerous vets on this issue and they said there is no way in be nice that a cow can get butted or kicked and lose a calf there is to much stomach fatty tissue protecting it. I agree with caustic, either neospora or even likelier lepto.

Good for you - I disagree with your vets if only because it has happened - I can feel that calf inside the cow by simply deep rubbing the side of the cow - so much for protective tissue - but you are the expert.

Either way - the cow loses a calf AFTER it arrives then it is gone. I do not hold the breeder responsible.

Bez+

Bez+":1awlyshc said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":1awlyshc said:
Bez+":1awlyshc said:

The contract was "bred"

Best to ya'

Bez+

Good for you - I disagree with your vets if only because it has happened - I can feel that calf inside the cow by simply deep rubbing the side of the cow - so much for protective tissue - but you are the expert.

Either way - the cow loses a calf AFTER it arrives then it is gone. I do not hold the breeder responsible.

Bez+

Well you definitely seem to know it all. Two vets each with over 40 year large animal (cattle Experience) I think I would trust them over you anyday.

Well you definitely seem to know it all. Two vets each with over 40 year large animal (cattle Experience) I think I would trust them over you anyday.

I have no vet up here that tells me the same story - and there are plenty here that know more than me - you for one I suspect you would say.

I wonder if you are making this up.

You can trust anyone you want - and good for you.

I never disagreed with the other potentials either.

Seems to me that "deep tissue" gets mighty thin when I can feel that calf just by standing along side the cow in late gestation and rubbing her side with my hand.

Seems to me you like to make stuff up - but you have been here under a few names in the past.

So I think you are just BS'ing for the heck of it.

As I stated - calf is gone and the breeder is no longer responsible.

So you go home and be a good boy - when you can come out and play nice we can talk again

Oh, one more thing .....

You can have the last word because after all - you want it so bad. 8)

Cheers

Bez+

Latest posts