Covid

Help Support CattleToday:

2 infusion treatments that I am aware of are convalescent plasma and monoclonal antibodies.

Monoclonal antibody therapy drugs like Trump received has emergency use authorization, but not FDA approval.
An expensive drug $2,100 per treatment, time consuming 30 minute IV and 1 hour observation for 90 minutes per individual.

Most insurance excludes or pay very little for drugs that are not on FDA approved list. So hospital administrators are reluctant to encourage doctors to use time consuming therapy and expensive unreimbursed drugs. Although its use has been increasing over the last 6 weeks.

40,523,954 reported cases of covid
652,480 deaths
death rate 1.61%
clinical trials estimate if monoclonal treatment were given to everyone as soon as case is diagnosed the death rate would fall to 1.4%

The time and expense to achieve 0.21% reduction in the general population is too great when the vast majority don't need it. So treatment is usually reserved for high risk individuals, 65+ or diabetes, obese, heart disease (or the wealthy and well connected if they absolutely insist)
We tested positive. We had not been vaccinated. We tested positive on Tuesday, we had the infusion Wednesday morning. The criteria to get it was 1)unvaccinated and 2)over 65. I was not sick, didn't think I needed the infusion but was advised to get it, so I did. While not FDA approved, it is approved for emergency use as Son of Butch said.. Mr. FH was much sicker than I was, nausea and no energy at all. We are fine now, but it did take him several days.

They also told us to get vaccinated in 90 days.

Do any of you know Soapweed? They put him on a ventilator last night in NE. 😭 Say a prayer for him, please. A mighty one.

Talking about cost. I read where it cost $88 per vaccination. Someone is making big money from this. Guess who?

Last edited:
I have a good friend who took that treatment about 10 days ago. It took him a couple of days to get up and about. Slowly his energy level came up and he returned to his normal activities. He's in his mid 60's and has other issues is the reason he got the monoclonal antibodies.
I would imagine he wasn't vaccinated, either. That was one of the criteria for us.

It's a roller coaster. Yesterday evening and in to the night I had chills, fever, and nausea, along with the sinus issues. I've been able too keep most of it tolerable with tylenol, neti pot, and a prescription for nausea. Then at some point in the night I woke up and felt fine. I washed clothes, ate, watched tv, posted on here. 😄 Drs are saying just ride it as long as it stays like this. Supposedly the ups and downs are common.

We will see...
Don't remember if I mentioned it much, but I did have sweats and chills in between feeling fine for 5 or 6 days. Energy levels still drain rather fast for both myself and my wife but we feel ok otherwise.

Talking about cost. I read where it cost $88 per vaccination. Someone is making big money from this. Guess who?
Information I have read (for Medicare users) is that the average cost of hospitalization for Covid is $21,750. If they go on a ventilator, the average cost is about $50,000. Since they are on Medicare, these are older people. Many people with covid do not require hospitalization, but still may have significant costs, especially if they have the infusion treatments which I understand can cost $1250 to $2100 depending on which one is used. My point - $88 does not seem like a significant cost for the vaccination relative to the cost of getting covid. Total cost of getting covid is much more than the treatment cost. Loss of income from missing work, cost of replacement worker or lost production for the employer due to time missed, etc. Look at the total impact to the US economy due to covid. It has been significant.
Shingles vaccine (2 shot) costs about $350 for comparison (not covered by Medicare). I have seen the pain and suffering that shingles can cause to people. I have no problem with the $350 I paid for the shingles vaccine. I would have paid 10 times that much to avoid shingles.
I just don't see an argument that the covid vaccination cost is not a good investment. I am glad that President Trump made the commitment to the vaccine development and distribution and that the program is still in effect. Data shows that the vaccinated are a small percentage of the current covid cases, covid hospitalizations and covid deaths.

Talking about cost. I read where it cost $88 per vaccination.
Someone is making big money from this. Guess who?
I wouldn't say big money, but I own shares in Moderna up 335% ytd
Pfizer up 25% ytd and Johnson & Johnson up 6% ytd

So come on people start demanding the J&J single shot. :)

Last edited:
Information I have read (for Medicare users) is that the average cost of hospitalization for Covid is $21,750. If they go on a ventilator, the average cost is about $50,000. Since they are on Medicare, these are older people. Many people with covid do not require hospitalization, but still may have significant costs, especially if they have the infusion treatments which I understand can cost $1250 to $2100 depending on which one is used. My point - $88 does not seem like a significant cost for the vaccination relative to the cost of getting covid. Total cost of getting covid is much more than the treatment cost. Loss of income from missing work, cost of replacement worker or lost production for the employer due to time missed, etc. Look at the total impact to the US economy due to covid. It has been significant.
Shingles vaccine (2 shot) costs about $350 for comparison (not covered by Medicare). I have seen the pain and suffering that shingles can cause to people. I have no problem with the $350 I paid for the shingles vaccine. I would have paid 10 times that much to avoid shingles.
I just don't see an argument that the covid vaccination cost is not a good investment. I am glad that President Trump made the commitment to the vaccine development and distribution and that the program is still in effect. Data shows that the vaccinated are a small percentage of the current covid cases, covid hospitalizations and covid deaths.
I was talking about $88 x the amount of people who have taken the FREE vaccine. You can bet the big pharm's aren't giving it away.

When we got the shingles shot, Medicare covered it at that time.

My wife got the vaccine, been sick for 5 months. Been to dermatologist, rhumatologist, general practitioners.... had about 8 biopsies they don't know anything. She looks like she feel into a mess of poison ivy with sunburn red blisters and sensitive skin.

She walked 2 miles three days a week and was at the fitness center the other two. No health issues before this.

I have wondered about losing mental clarity with Covid. My brother in law seems to be in mental decline, but he also has RA and is taking predisone. Could that be some of the cause or is it Covid? He has really slipped since testing postive for Covid. He seems okay otherwise, just has no energy like most people who get it. I have recommended his wife take him in to be evaluated. He has appt with new RA doctor Oct. 12.

My wife got the vaccine, been sick for 5 months. Been to dermatologist, rhumatologist, general practitioners.... had about 8 biopsies they don't know anything. She looks like she feel into a mess of poison ivy with sunburn red blisters and sensitive skin.

She walked 2 miles three days a week and was at the fitness center the other two. No health issues before this.
I'm assuming they checked for Shingles? Step daughter, a close friend in Wisconsin & 3 other people around town came down with Shingles after getting vaccinated.

I have wondered about losing mental clarity with Covid. My brother in law seems to be in mental decline, but he also has RA and is taking predisone. Could that be some of the cause or is it Covid? He has really slipped since testing postive for Covid. He seems okay otherwise, just has no energy like most people who get it. I have recommended his wife take him in to be evaluated. He has appt with new RA doctor Oct. 12.
I knew a couple in their 70s that had it. Along with being out of energy, they told me there were a couple of days that both of them were "out of their head" as they described it. After a month, they said they still felt a little strange and not fully back to normal.

I'm vaccinated. I fully support those that don't want to be vaccinated. I don't understand the anger and frustration toward those that don't think like others think they should.
Why do others believe that other people are causing their problems?

Give it up people. Most of us have a life and don't give a rats arse what you think.

Loss of income from missing work, cost of replacement worker or lost production for the employer due to time missed, etc. Look at the total impact to the US economy due to covid. It has been significant.

The hospital system I work for is paying $25/hour, on top of your pay, if you pick up shifts due to covid. If you're in OT, you get your OT hourly rate + $25/hour. We are bleeding money. Not to mention the emotional toll it's taking on all of us to cover all these extra shifts, and the constant flow of patients coming in. The number of folks coming in is the through the roof right now.

We tested positive. We had not been vaccinated. We tested positive on Tuesday, we had the infusion Wednesday morning. The criteria to get it was 1)unvaccinated and 2)over 65. I was not sick, didn't think I needed the infusion but was advised to get it, so I did. While not FDA approved, it is approved for emergency use as Son of Butch said.. Mr. FH was much sicker than I was, nausea and no energy at all. We are fine now, but it did take him several days.

They also told us to get vaccinated in 90 days.

Do any of you know Soapweed? They put him on a ventilator last night in NE. 😭 Say a prayer for him, please. A mighty one.

That's awful about Soap. I wish the best for his recovery. Poor bugger got knocked for a loop by West Nile a few years ago too. Keep us posted please.

2 infusion treatments that I am aware of are convalescent plasma and monoclonal antibodies.

Monoclonal antibody therapy drugs like Trump received has emergency use authorization, but not FDA approval.
An expensive drug $2,100 per treatment, time consuming 30 minute IV and 1 hour observation for 90 minutes per individual.

Most insurance excludes or pay very little for drugs that are not on FDA approved list.
Here you go Brute.
This was my only post on price of monoclonal drug pricing.... $2100 from manufacturer that Trump received.

Latest posts