covid

Help Support CattleToday:

Well ....... because of people like you it may be going on a very long time.
This virus is VERY real and very serious. Doctors have worn and continue to wear mask to prevent infections during surgery and many examination.

Attachments

• 0FC31F86-7139-4C1A-9E23-9FFFA841E6C4.jpeg
    0FC31F86-7139-4C1A-9E23-9FFFA841E6C4.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 5
Well ....... because of people like you it may be going on a very long time.
At this point in the pandemic Mask Shaming and finger pointing accomplishes nothing. On average pandemics last 18 months - A Very Long Time.

Recap
March 16 told if everyone would shelter in place for 14 days the spread would end.
A reasonable assumption and request - 21 day lockdown order didn't do it.
April projected 3-4% death rate - based largely on data of elderly patients.

Flatten the Curve - to buy time to find a cure and prevent overwhelming healthcare systems. A side effect of flattening the curve is extending the pandemic timeline.
Perhaps from 18 months to 36 months - A Very Very Long Long Time.

North & South Dakota lead the nation with 11.5% infection rate, yet are well below the national 1.77% rate of death with 0.89 - 1.33%

Dr Mike Osterholm U of Mn probably was the closest in prediction when he said back in March, a pandemic is like a tiger. And we are riding a tiger not driving it.

Until we reach 2/3 by infection or vaccination the pandemic will be here.
I wear a mask, even though it only helps in poorly ventilated confined areas.

Social distancing is more important bcs of all of my risk factors.
But perhaps those who don't wear a mask are heroes helping to get the herd to 2/3. :)

P.S.
Everyone I know who has had covid were mask wears.
Perhaps anti maskers are too ornery to get sick :) or they would all be dead.

Last edited:
I feel social distancing is the most important thing.
If people don't feel well, they should stay home. Don't run & get tested - what good does it do?? Whoopee - you can tell everyone you have IT. They don't give you meds, they don't tell you to go to your doctor, nothing. Just let you know "you got it!"

My son was diagnosed pos after his boss at work was sick and finally went to the dr and got tested and diagnosed pos. Boss's wife also was sicker with it . Put my son on some "drug", 10 days. He had headaches, felt weak - wiped out- queasy stomach, a little bit of a fever a couple days, some body aches. He is back to work after a 2 week off work order. Several of the guys at work either have had it or their wives /family members have had it. Headaches seem to be the biggest complaints, some stomach queasy/sick, body aches, some fevers, few with some congestion. Son's gf had headaches and backaches for 3 days; she was also pos.
I think I had a case back about 2 months ago with diarrhea and exceedingly tired. Lasted 4 days.

I try to keep my immune system up and feel that I am better off that way. Usually get a 24 hr bug once a year or so.... just try to sleep it off and not push for a day or 2 after. I think that it mostly gets me to slow down a little and recharge.

And I am not ashamed to admit that I am working hard to get to the 2/3 herd immunity..... only wear the mask to PT and the few times I have had to go to Wal-mart since they got really B#@$y about not having it.

I feel social distancing is the most important thing.
If people don't feel well, they should stay home. Don't run & get tested - what good does it do?? Whoopee - you can tell everyone you have IT. They don't give you meds, they don't tell you to go to your doctor, nothing. Just let you know "you got it!"
I have to assume 'they' are the testers?
Also have to assume the people that test positive have the mental prowess to at least know they should go to their doctor or at least call their physician.

That's how it works here anyway.

I have begun to understand tho, who so many are against testing and even more so in opposition of contact tracing. Who really wants to be saddled with the knowledge and stigma that they may well have gotten someone else sick? We don't do that much contact tracing here in the USA but other nations very much do, and it's generally considered quite shameful that one is the cause of others becoming ill. Here, most just tend to worry about #1 and let the chips fall where they may in the bigger scheme of things.

@greybeard - I find just the opposite. Everyone I know that is getting known exposure - or are showing any ill simptoms, are isolating on their own - no need to test. Who cares WHAT you have? If you're sick, stay home. Doing the same as any other bug that gets passed around.
Of course, I am talking mostly country folks. If you have a "job", you would need "proof" that you had it so you could still get paid. We don't.
And, no, you do not need to go to the doctor if you have it. Only if you have difficulty breathing. Everyone I know that has been tested positive, says their worse symptoms are not being able to taste. Get a little head cold. Losing smell & taste pretty much convinces you that "you got it"! My family lives in Rhode Island. They all got tested when they showed symptoms - no doctor - no meds. Just go home & quarantine. I think the number of relatives that got it is about 10. All over it - without meds or doctors.

Last edited:
@greybeard - I find just the opposite. Everyone I know that is getting known exposure - or are showing any ill simptoms, are isolating on their own - no need to test. Who cares WHAT you have? If you're sick, stay home. Doing the same as any other bug that gets passed around.
Of course, I am talking mostly country folks. If you have a "job", you would need "proof" that you had it so you could still get paid. We don't.
And, no, you do not need to go to the doctor if you have it. Only if you have difficulty breathing. Everyone I know that has been tested positive, says their worse symptoms are not being able to taste. Get a little head cold. Losing smell & taste pretty much convinces you that "you got it"! My family lives in Rhode Island. They all got tested when they showed symptoms - no doctor - no meds. Just go home & quarantine. I think the number of relatives that got it is about 10. All over it - without meds or doctors.
This is why we are where we are now. 300K+ dead.
People look at it from a "ME" perspective.
Rhode Island, tho being one of the least populated (#44) states in America, R.I. ranks:
#6 in 'deaths/million' with 1,660 deaths per million. (44 other states have had fewer deaths/million than tiny R.I.)
#7 in total cases/million.
#25 today in active cases.

Their ranking in recovered vs total cases is pretty dismal as well. 86,789 total cases with only 5,335 recovered. #47 in that category with only Vermont, Oregon, Delaware, and Alaska having a worse recovery rate.

Everyone that gets it, gets it from someone else. (less than 1% is thought to be surface transmitted, but even surface virus particles came from someone)

There's a reason for all that and it's not a case of tests not being available and being utilized. Rhode Island leads the nation in the number of tests per million, but the other 4 data points above tell the real tale. As others have pointed out, no one really knows for sure how many people have been infected by infected people that are asymptomatic. But it's estimated to be 1 in 5.

Attachments

• RIcovid.jpg
    RIcovid.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1
Their ranking in recovered vs total cases is pretty dismal as well. 86,789 total cases with only 5,335 recovered. #47 in that category with only Vermont, Oregon, Delaware, and Alaska having a worse recovery rate.
I have always been confused on the "recovered" number. I assume that the "total cases" are based on the number of positives from a covid test. I assume the actual number of cases is much larger since many people do not get tested or else test negative when they have many of the symptoms. But, the "recovered" number is what I don't understand. It would seem that the number of "recovered" would be those who had tested positive and no longer have symptoms of the virus or are not being treated for the virus. But the reported number of "recovered" in each state seems to always be a small percentage of the cases. About 6% in the numbers above for Rhode Island. This would indicate that 94% of those that have/had the virus are either dead or still sick (have not recovered) with the virus. We know that the % of deaths is relatively low. So, what is the status of the 92% that have not "recovered"? It seems that most people I know that have had the virus are "recovered" in a week or two. I just can't make the reported numbers work for "recovered". Can anyone explain how "recovered" is calculated?

I'm not smart enough to read that report. Does not make any sense.
But, one thing many don't know is R.I. "had" one city that had the most number of people per square mile than any other city. Don't know if that is true any more - but it was R.I.'s "claim to fame" years ago. LOL
back to the chart - how do they have any idea how many "have recovered?". Only people that need a negative test to return to work, get tested negative. People playing with numbers.

Total cases minus deaths, minus recovered = active cases.
So, RI had 86,789 cases - 1760 deaths - 5335 recovered = 79,694 active cases - REALLY???
Now, does that make any sense. Since this began out of 86,789 cases - 79,694 are STILL ACTIVE????
great report. @greybeard you keep your eye on the reports for us.

I have always been confused on the "recovered" number. I assume that the "total cases" are based on the number of positives from a covid test. I assume the actual number of cases is much larger since many people do not get tested or else test negative when they have many of the symptoms. But, the "recovered" number is what I don't understand. It would seem that the number of "recovered" would be those who had tested positive and no longer have symptoms of the virus or are not being treated for the virus. But the reported number of "recovered" in each state seems to always be a small percentage of the cases. About 6% in the numbers above for Rhode Island. This would indicate that 94% of those that have/had the virus are either dead or still sick (have not recovered) with the virus. We know that the % of deaths is relatively low. So, what is the status of the 92% that have not "recovered"? It seems that most people I know that have had the virus are "recovered" in a week or two. I just can't make the reported numbers work for "recovered". Can anyone explain how "recovered" is calculated?
I did a little research on the definition of "recovered" and how that number is determined. Seems that it varies state to state, but generally means that a person has had 3 days of no fever while not taking any fever reducing meds AND has had TWO negative Covid tests separated by at least 24 hours. I assume this is after a previous positive test. Now, how many people that feel better and are on the mend would go get TWO covid tests in order to get themselves added to the "recovered" numbers? Seems to me this is why so few people are officially "recovered". The number is meaningless as best I can tell. A year from now when the "recovered" number is less than 10% of the cases, will we still assume that 90% have not recovered? Why even tabulate and publish meaningless numbers? If anyone has an explanation that makes sense, I could change my mind. But, this "recovered" number just seems bureaucratic (stupid might be a better word).

Last edited:
I have a friend that got Covid before Thanksgiving. He is 63. He was one of the ones that got really bad but "recovered". Even though he has tested negative for over 2 weeks he has lost 50+lbs and can barely breath. He is very weak and its hard for him to even walk to his truck. He would be listed as recovered but is far from it. He cannot return to work because he can't do his job of operating a log loader in the woods.. I think he may never be the same again.

I have a friend that got Covid before Thanksgiving. He is 63. He was one of the ones that got really bad but "recovered". Even though he has tested negative for over 2 weeks he has lost 50+lbs and can barely breath. He is very weak and its hard for him to even walk to his truck. He would be listed as recovered but is far from it. He cannot return to work because he can't do his job of operating a log loader in the woods.. I think he may never be the same again.
That's the scary thing about this virus. There is no rhyme or reason to how it affects. A friends father got it and died from it at age 69. He did have other health issues, but he certainly was not considered in danger of dying from those other issues anytime soon. My wife's uncle got it and has had lung problems ever since, and it is to the point that it is likely permanent and debilitating. Wife's mother had a fairly mild case of it, while her aunt had to be taken to the hospital twice, and is still weak from it.

Got to lighten this up a little.

I went for a walk with my new girlfriend & we saw dogs mating.

She said: "How does the male know when the female is ready for sex?"

I replied: "He can smell she is ready. That's how nature works."

We then walked past a sheep field and the ram was mating the ewe.

Again my girlfriend asked: "How does the ram know when the ewe is ready for sex?"

I replied: "It's nature. He can smell she is ready."

We then went past a cow-field and the bull was mating with the cow. My girlfriend said: "This is odd. They are really going at it. Surely the bull can't smell when she is ready?" I said: "Oh, yes; it's nature . All animals can smell when the female is ready for sex."

Anyway, after the walk, I dropped her home and kissed her goodbye.

She said: "Take care and get yourself checked out for Covid-19."

Surprised, "Why do you say that?" I asked her.

She replied: "You seem to have lost your sense of smell."

I have been curious about that recovered number. My little county still has less than 500 positives. The first positive was back around June. The positive number keeps increasing. But there are zero recovered. There have been 5 deaths. But what about those people who contracted in back in June of July? My take is recovered is an artificial number of no importance. They were listing the number of negative tests. They quit doing that. Why? The last time I saw it the total tests equaled about a third of the total population of the county. The positive tests was a little under 2% of the population.

research long haulers , there is also a facebook group called survivor corps , they are from all over not just the US , read up on what they are dealing with after getting covid health wise , some have had antibodies for months and some never developed them , some are also going on round 2 of being infected , worse 2d time around , and most are afraid to get it a 2d time , most have lost family members , children , aunts, uncles and parents , it has been spreading like wild fire around here , lots of anti maskers , every time the health department tries to have a meeting they are terrorized by Ammon Bundy and his type , with their followers even going to peoples houses , scaring families , during meetings , so there have been no mask mandates for the most part as our Governor left it up to the mayors , I only go out for necessities, groceries , and for work , as a direct support worker , and am on the list for vaccination , and will get it when it is my turn , most of the time I do not get a flu shot but did this year ,
biggest infection rate is in the 18 to 39 age range , and there have been deaths also in that range , 2 in their 20s and 7 in the 30s , 31 were 40 to 49 ,55 were 50 to 59 , and 190 from 60 to 69 , and the numbers climb from there , more women have tested positive than men but more men have died then women in Idaho , I will be 60 shortly and am not taking unnecessary chances myself , as I do not want to be a long hauler myself or maybe die
Suzanne
(3) Survivor Corps | Facebook

Latest posts