covid

Help Support CattleToday:

D2 Saith, ''Listen to yourself if you need testimony.''
There is an old saying, ''Before you talk to a mule you need to get their attention'' The saying is peculiar to Missouri but applles but it applies in
other areas. (y)

There is an old saying, ''Before you talk to a mule you need to get their attention'' The saying is peculiar to Missouri but applles but it applies in
other areas. (y)
It's used in Texas as well.
As a kid an expression you never wanted to hear. Son it's easier to plow the field when you have the mules attention, hickory works best.

Neither cotton or tobacco were raised where I grew up. But there was acres of berries. I picked strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Each in their season. It started when school let out in the first of June and ran until school started again in early September. If you were a hard working berry picker you might make $180 for working 5 days a week all summer. I was so very happy to get old enough to get out of the berry fields and get a job at the breeder farm for a chicken hatchery. It paid $1.25 an hour to clean chicken houses with a scoop shovel and a wheel barrow. Ten bucks a day!!!! I was rolling in the money.
around here, it was weeding carrots and onions.. you'd be on your hands and knees for hours, days, weeks at a time.. when you stood up, you'd just about fall unconcious from the blood draining out of your head.
sounds like you guys were lucky.. you got paid!

The vaccines appear to be quite effective, and people skeptical of the long term effects should also consider that we don't have a clue what the long term effects of natural covid infection are, either. I'll take my chances with the vaccine.

I was speaking with a friend in the insurance industry, and he was saying he expects we'll see incentives for people to get vaccinated. People who don't get vaccinated can expect to be paying extra on their monthly premiums.
In general, I heard that natural immunity from COVID lasts for about a year, after which you can get infected and get sick again. Vaccination is the only option, it seems to me. We get vaccinated against the flu every year, but this infection mutates and mutates, which means we can still get infected. What will happen with COVID is not yet clear. But vaccination is safer than hoping for "it won't touch me."

In general, I heard that natural immunity from COVID lasts for about a year, after which you can get infected and get sick again. Vaccination is the only option, it seems to me. We get vaccinated against the flu every year, but this infection mutates and mutates, which means we can still get infected. What will happen with COVID is not yet clear. But vaccination is safer than hoping for "it won't touch me."
It's just like the flu.
You get a flu shot not a vaccine.
A vaccine eradicates the disease a flu shot has a 40% effective rate.
Now virus are made up of RNA that is constantly mutating, the flu strand is much shorter than the Corona. What makes you think the Corona isn't going to mutate.

"Because flu viruses mutate constantly and the vaccine wears off over time, you can't get vaccinated once and expect to be covered for years, as you can with other diseases. The vaccine must be changed each year, in hopes of matching the ever-mutating viruses. And that's been a challenge. On average, it's been 40% effective, meaning it's prevented illness 40% of the time."

You have almost as good of odds on a Vegas crap table.

It's just like the flu.
You get a flu shot not a vaccine.
A vaccine eradicates the disease a flu shot has a 40% effective rate.
Now virus are made up of RNA that is constantly mutating, the flu strand is much shorter than the Corona. What makes you think the Corona isn't going to mutate.
Where do you read this nonsense? Of course a flu shot is a vaccine.

Corona is not "just like the flu". Corona vaccines for cattle have been around for years and still work just as well as ever. The volatility of influenza is unique among viruses; it's possible that Covid will behave the same way, but certainly not the most likely outcome.

Where do you read this nonsense? Of course a flu shot is a vaccine.

Corona is not "just like the flu". Corona vaccines for cattle have been around for years and still work just as well as ever. The volatility of influenza is unique among viruses; it's possible that Covid will behave the same way, but certainly not the most likely outcome.
I am going to type slowly for you. A vaccine eradicates virus's like small pox, measles, polio. The flu shot hasn't eradicated anything except folding money from your billfold. It's fantastic for big pharmaceutical not for those that die after receiving the worthless injection each year.
Of course the survival rate doesn't play well with the compliance mandates.
Again no worse than the flu.
With today's population if the Spanish influenza came through it would literally make this look like a picnic.

I am going to type slowly for you. A vaccine eradicates virus's like small pox, measles, polio. The flu shot hasn't eradicated anything except folding money from your billfold. It's fantastic for big pharmaceutical not for those that die after receiving the worthless injection each year.
Of course the survival rate doesn't play well with the compliance mandates.
Again no worse than the flu.
With today's population if the Spanish influenza came through it would literally make this look like a picnic.

Just because you restate it over and over doesn't make it more true. The flu shot is a vaccine. The FDA calls it a vaccine. The CDC calls it a vaccine. The WHO calls it a vaccine. Everyone who's not hopped up on anti-vax propaganda calls it a vaccine. There's nothing about eradication in the definition.

It would be nice if the flu shot were more effective, but 40-60% is nothing to scoff at. If everyone got it, we'd drastically reduce the spread of the flu and save lives. Just like the Covid death rate, small percentages multiplied out over large numbers make for large numbers.

I don't understand the obsession with trying to compare Covid to things that are more/less deadly. Millions of Americans infected and hundreds of thousands dead is enough to stand on its own merit, I'd say.

Just because you restate it over and over doesn't make it more true. The flu shot is a vaccine. The FDA calls it a vaccine. The CDC calls it a vaccine. The WHO calls it a vaccine. Everyone who's not hopped up on anti-vax propaganda calls it a vaccine. There's nothing about eradication in the definition.

It would be nice if the flu shot were more effective, but 40-60% is nothing to scoff at. If everyone got it, we'd drastically reduce the spread of the flu and save lives. Just like the Covid death rate, small percentages multiplied out over large numbers make for large numbers.

I don't understand the obsession with trying to compare Covid to things that are more/less deadly. Millions of Americans infected and hundreds of thousands dead is enough to stand on its own

I don't understand the obsession with trying to compare Covid to things that are more/less deadly. Millions of Americans infected and hundreds of thousands dead is enough to stand on its own merit, I'd say.
The WHO is a joke and just part of the one world order.
I don't understand the dismissal of millions of deaths attributed to the flu and Covid is worse because CNN said so.

Definition of Terms Vaccine: A product that stimulates a person's immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease.

So if the shot is only 40% effective it doesn't fall under the definition of a vaccine, protecting the person from that disease.

I think the flu shot is a vaccine, it just sounds better to call it a flu shot. I've never taken the "flu shot and don't intend to. haven't had the flu in almost 20 years. My Dad took the flu shot once and said it made him the sickest he had been in years....he never took another one.
Maybe if we all wore masks and socially distanced we could eradicate the flu...:(

So if the shot is only 40% effective it doesn't fall under the definition of a vaccine, protecting the person from that disease.

It has a lower efficacy because every year prior to flu season they have to gamble on which strains of the flu are going to be the most prevalent for the upcoming season. Then they go about making the vaccine hoping they guessed right. So it is a vaccine, but it won't necessarily protect against every strain that is out there.

Minnesota covid update 12/1/20 - 333,626 cases - 3,784 deaths
over age 50 accounts for 97% of covid deaths in Mn
70% of Mn's population is under age 50

50-59 yrs - 5% of total covid deaths
60-69 yrs 11% of deaths
70-79 yrs 21% of deaths
80-99 yrs 60% of deaths

Last edited:
The flu vaccine and the Covid-19 vaccine are vastly different. While the efficacy of the regular flu vaccine is hit or miss (they are guessing which strain will become prevalent the following year), the new vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna are very different. They work using mRNA.
The body then uses the instructions coded in the mRNA to make a new protein that is identical to the selected parts of the virus. Our immune system then reacts to these new proteins, but develops its own response without any danger of infection. The body is then ready to combat the virus if and when it becomes infected.
What we are used to is either the killed cell or the modified live virus vaccines. This is new technology and it has proven highly effective since its discovery a few years ago. It has not been used on the "normal flu" to my knowledge. The use of the mRNA technology is why the lightning-fast development of the vaccine has been possible in under a year rather than the normal 6-8 year timeframe.

I'm just a little fearful of the vaccine, any vaccine for that matter. I don't even take flu shots, never had the flu that I know of and my wife and I both work at a school where we're exposed to flu and any other kind of virus going around daily. We hardly ever get sick outside of the occasional sinus or allergy related sickness. And I'm tired of people making it about politics when I say I'm afraid of the vaccine, I'm a Trump supporter and Trump supports the vaccine but I don't blindly follow anyone, where there's cause for concern I question things. I probably won't take the vaccine unless forced to. I believe healthy people are capable of building immunity to it. I believe the reason we don't get sick is because we are exposed to stuff in small doses therefore building immunity.

I wear a mask when I have to, but I absolutely hate wearing one. Has absolutely nothing to do with politics, I just feel like I'm suffocating in the mask. Although I will admit on some of these cold windy days the mask feels pretty good.

I'll take the vaccine if there is still a bug around by the time it's my turn. I'm sure I would survive a bout of Covid just fine, but I would get it out of respect for those that may not have the ability to fight it off. People like my parents and other elderly neighbours for example. I'd hate to be the one that passed it on to someone that couldn't fight it.

Latest posts