Covid-19 deaths

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
In 2017 2,813,503 people died at an average age of 78.6 yrs
According to Forbes the average age of the 200,000 covid-19 deaths is 76.9

It appears covid-19 shortened the life of those 200,000 who died by 1.7 yrs
Yes every moment of life is precious and I am not trying to make light of covid-19
I am only trying to put the pandemic in perspective.
Of course it will take about 3 yrs of the data to calculate it's full impact.

Yes every moment of life is precious and I am not trying to make light of covid-19
Absolutely. I don't think the pandemic is "fake" or something to take lightly, however, we take risks every single day and shouldn't let that stop us from living life.

I was just with a guy who owns a chain of funeral homes last weekend. He was asked if they are actually as busy as what the news claims and he said yes, but not in the way you think. He said suicides, ods, domestic violence and things of that nature are thru the roof. He also stated that if you think it was only elective surgeries that were being put off you are wrong. He attributed a lot of the deaths to dr offices and hospitals telling people not to come in unless it was absolutely necessary.

He said that based off what he has seen that if history is honest with its self about the backlash from the covid response, it will not be good.

The govt basically chose to shut the country down to protect one group of citizens and left many others out in the cold.

That's specious reasoning. The life expectancy of the average 77 year old man is nearly 10 more years.

I wonder how accurate the death numbers really are. I know an individual that lives close to us that he and his wife took out a cancer life insurance policy about 20 years ago: he ended up getting cancer 7 years ago. He had stage four cancer and was admitted to the hospital for his final days as recommended by hospice. His wife waited for several weeks for the death certificate to verify that he died of cancer to so she could send it to the insurance company. When she received the death certificate, it said he died of COVID-19. The insurance obviously would not pay her from the cancer policy and she found out that the hospitals get about $39,000 for each COVID related death they report.

I wonder how accurate the death numbers really are. I know an individual that lives close to us that he and his wife took out a cancer life insurance policy about 20 years ago: he ended up getting cancer 7 years ago. He had stage four cancer and was admitted to the hospital for his final days as recommended by hospice. His wife waited for several weeks for the death certificate to verify that he died of cancer to so she could send it to the insurance company. When she received the death certificate, it said he died of COVID-19. The insurance obviously would not pay her from the cancer policy and she found out that the hospitals get about $39,000 for each COVID related death they report.
This sounds like one of those urban legends that gets passed around with everyone saying "I knew a guy who...". People rarely die directly from cancer. It's the subsequent infections, organ failure, etc. that get them. The death certificate reflects that and will list multiple causes of death in those cases.

Even if the story weren't completely fictional, it's about a lady buying a crappy insurance policy and getting screwed by an insurance company, not a hospital.

That's specious reasoning. The life expectancy of the average 77 year old man is nearly 10 more years.

Yes and the life expectancy of the average 40 yr old is 38.5 yrs = 78.5
but the Fact is in 2017 2,813,503 died at the average age of 78.6

And Facts are more accurate than projected estimates
As I said, the truth will only be known 3 or more years down the road

This sounds like one of those urban legends that gets passed around with everyone saying "I knew a guy who...". People rarely die directly from cancer. It's the subsequent infections, organ failure, etc. that get them. The death certificate reflects that and will list multiple causes of death in those cases.

Even if the story weren't completely fictional, it's about a lady buying a crappy insurance policy and getting screwed by an insurance company, not a hospital.
No, truth takes a backseat when it comes to money...
Otherwise the Shakopee bar waitress's death certificate would not have read, Cause of Death: 2nd Hand Smoke, instead of the truth which was Asthma and her refusal to carry her prescription inhaler with her outside of her home.

It made national news several yrs ago when she became the 1st person to have the official cause of death listed as 2nd Hand Smoke

Just shy of 300,000 Americans died during combat in the 4 years of World War II.
>200,000 Americans have died of Covid in <9 months.
So there is some perspective as well.

I would agree with you, it's clear that this country does value some lives over others.

What was the average age of the Americans who died in WWII vs the average of the China virus victims?
What the OP and your question are saying is that the age of the US citizen that dies means something. If life is precious, it shouldn't matter whether they were just conceived or if they were 112.

I think people are missing the bigger point... we shouldn't be debating which life is more important. Whether you want to say nature needs to run its course or if you believe in a device intity or what ever else... the end game is humans domt need to intervene.

If a fraction of the energy spent arguing was put in to working together we could have combated covid with out mandates. We let politicians divide us over an issue rather than unite us for a cause.

Just shy of 300,000 Americans died during combat in the 4 years of World War II.
>200,000 Americans have died of Covid in <9 months.
So there is some perspective as well.

I would agree with you, it's clear that this country does value some lives over others.
Horse feathers this is political from top to bottom side to side.
Texas alone looses over 10k to the flu yearly, life goes on.
Loose 3900 supposedly to Covid and shutdown 29 million people.
Is Covid real you bet, it was released on us.
What is much scarier than Covid is Americans compliance to mandates.

Covid domestic terrorism all happening this year and it's happenstance?

I am posting this and not trying to take away from the discussion. A good friend of mine father was traveling on interstate 30 with sun in his face. One of the local law enforcement was behind a stalled car in the left lane with his lights on. My friends father rear ended the officers car because of the sun and could not really see him. Father care-flighted to Tyler Texas. Emergency room declared him DOA. Justice of peace issued the death certificate and it said Death Due to Natural causes. My friend had the JP change the death to say that the death was due to injuries that were casued by the wreck. Really took some convin cesing to get it changed. Life insurance had a double indemtly claus for accidental death. Now how many people that may have succumbed to natural cause that died at home and were picked up that were corona related.

What the OP and your question are saying is that the age of the US citizen that dies means something. If life is precious, it shouldn't matter whether they were just conceived or if they were 112.
Stickney, Just building on thoughts in your post. My comments are NOT directed at you.

Life is precious, no doubt. We should cherish it and make the most of it. Complex issues are complex by definition, not simple. All life is precious, but the life of an older person does not have the future potential of the life of a young person. What 50-80 year old parent would not give their life to save the life of their child or grandchild? An older person has already had the opportunity to live their dreams and not too much time left. A young person has a long future ahead of them to grow and contribute. Is a young person's life worth more than an old one? I have my opinion.

As far as cause of death, it makes little difference to the person who died. Cause of death is for those who remain to discuss.

I asked this question in another thread and got no comments. What is the life of a person worth? If 5 million people are saved at a cost of 5 trillion dollars and 10 years of poverty and suffering for 330 million, is that better than 5 million people dying and 325 million left with pretty much the same economic conditions as before? I just threw those numbers out. You can put real numbers in if anyone has them. The point is the same. Should 90% of the people accept severe negative impact on their life for the benefit of 10%?

I have heard that Sweden did little in the way of lockdowns - carrying on closer to normal and accepting the consequences. That Great Britain has had aggressive lockdowns. That Sweden currently is in much better shape than Great Britain in terms of those currently sick or dead. I have not confirmed any of that. Just what I heard.

We need to help our fellow man where we can. If we make personal sacrifices to help our fellow man, that is admirable. When my fellow men start to demand and dictate my actions, that is where I start to push back.

For the record, I wear my mask and hope that will help me and others to remain healthy. Shutting down the economy, the American dreams and spirit - that is wrong. In the history of this country, people have died for our future and freedom - whether it was soldiers in war or people infected with a disease. We still carry on with the principles of the founders.

Horse feathers this is political from top to bottom side to side.
Texas alone looses over 10k to the flu yearly, life goes on.
Loose 3900 supposedly to Covid and shutdown 29 million people.
Is Covid real you bet, it was released on us.
What is much scarier than Covid is Americans compliance to mandates.

Covid domestic terrorism all happening this year and it's happenstance?
If that is the case then I sure don't want to live in Texas. The total deaths in 2019-2020 was only 22,000 in the US due to flu.

CDC Disease Burden of Influenza

Perspective.
:rolleyes:
Depending which set of data one looks at.......

Living Americans by age group over 70 years of age as of July 2019.
22.6 million and 12.9 million are over 80 yrs of age.

Or:

(every one below the black line beat the average according to US census)

My own father died about 30 days short of his 90th birthday in 2007. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very thankful for those 'extra' 10 years I was able to spend with him.

It's easy for any of us to say "I'd risk my own life to allow the economy to get back on track" but how many realistically would say they would risk the lives of their spouse, parents or grandparents, especially considering most of us live in a rural setting and don't really get out in public very much anyway. Go ahead.. Go tell your older family members they should be risked so you can sit in a cafe and shoot the bull with your buddies or go back to work, or increase the chances of the candidate of your choice winning an election. (Keep in mind, that many of that demographic already put everything at risk when they were (still are) part of "the greatest generation" )
Let us know how that works out for ya. Those old folks can still swing a willow switch.

13 million+ grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents...

Yes, it has been politicized, but definitely on/by both sides.

My son is high risk as is my dad and quite a few extended relatives. We had a family dove hunt and get together this past Saturday. My Aunt, who is probably the highest risk of all of us said it best when some one asked if they should hug her or not. She said... what's the point of being alive if you are not living.

We all discussed it and decided we will not live in fear.

Latest posts