covexin 8 left out

Help Support CattleToday:

Y'all really take that label that serious. Reason my comment was "it should be fine" I've seen vets work hours in spring with temps in 80s and stick bottle in there pocket between calves , don't turn around if the sun is in your face because your shadow does not have a warning label.

Cross-7":3aaaqzfu said:
They may replace it and if so it's going to be on their supplier to eat it and take the loss.
I really hate it when it happens to me.
We take care of our mistakes but really hate taking the loss on something that's not our mistake.
I wouldn't ask someone to take the loss on my screwup

I agree. Normally, I wouldn't, unless it is a desperate circumstance. I dropped a half pint of whiskey one time and I went back in and they replaced it. But that was a matter of life or death.

:D

M-5":38chcyng said:
Y'all really take that label that serious. Reason my comment was "it should be fine" I've seen vets work hours in spring with temps in 80s and stick bottle in there pocket between calves , don't turn around if the sun is in your face because your shadow does not have a warning label.

Darryl,

I take the label and Manufacturers instructions seriously. I happen to understand how bacterins/toxoids are prepared. A bacterin/toxoid is relatively resilient. If the vaccine was a live preparation, then the organism is going to die and considering it was already modified by heat, radiation or some other means, it is unlikely to be effective.

Having said that, I think it is a disservice to promote the practice of ignoring labels and instructions.

PS: there is no doubt vets employ bad practices. They don't suffer the consequences if you lose an animal.

M-5":3k2rqgjz said:

Were the vets working on their cattle, or yours? :lol2:

Personally, I don't "think" it would hurt it no longer than that was, but, I would probably use it for an annual cow booster and not for either of the two-rounds for cutting calves.

AFTER THOUGHT

In my post about, I did not intend to imply that it is common for vets to employ careless practices. In my experience, I have seen the opposite. Most are careful and diligent in promoting good practices. I have seen a couple instances Dash described but 99 % of the time, the ones I have used are extremely diligent.

Margonme":bo1c2ydl said:
Kingfisher":bo1c2ydl said:
M-5":bo1c2ydl said:
I would think it would be fine, Call the number on the bottle if your concerned
Or take it back to TS or ? And tell em what happen...theyll prolly give you a fresh one. ;/

Fence, Kingfisher is 100 % correct. If you got it at TSC, they will replace it. I bought dog food this week at the Maysville TSC store. Woman came in with a bag containing a cattle vaccine. She told the guy the bottle was damaged. All he said was wait until I finish and we will write it up as a replacement.

I m xidnt buy it at tsc. Local feed and fertilizer dealer.
Also the bottle was perfectly fine . I forgot to put in the fridge. I may be stupid but I'm honest

I understand your a government man Ron and thinks everyone should be told what to do and when to do it. Again we are not talking about extreme temp swings , I may not be educated on drugs but I have a whole lot of common sense and the temp did not fluctuate much if it was not in direct sun light. Tall, I have worked beside vet doing our cows as well as theirs. Like I said before call the dadgum number on the bottle and ask the mfgr. That's what I would do.

M-5":r9c7jrxz said:
I understand your a government man Ron and thinks everyone should be told what to do and when to do it. Again we are not talking about extreme temp swings , I may not be educated on drugs but I have a whole lot of common sense and the temp did not fluctuate much if it was not in direct sun light. Tall, I have worked beside vet doing our cows as well as theirs. Like I said before call the dadgum number on the bottle and ask the mfgr. That's what I would do.

Yes. It comes down to what each person is comfortable with.

Reviewing the thread, no one came across as telling anyone what to do. I reread each post. Amazing how sensitive posters were about not "telling everyone what to do". In fact, what stands out is even Lucky and Ken did not issue a "Use it" order. Lucky said what he would do and Ken said he thought it would be ok and supported that with a study.

It's fine, I will go bad faster than one that wasn't warmed up but as long as you use it soon your good.
Think of milk, if you let it get warm then cool it again it's still ok, it will however go sour faster is all.

callmefence":1fc9aqq5 said:
Margonme":1fc9aqq5 said:
Kingfisher":1fc9aqq5 said:
Or take it back to TS or ? And tell em what happen...theyll prolly give you a fresh one. ;/

Fence, Kingfisher is 100 % correct. If you got it at TSC, they will replace it. I bought dog food this week at the Maysville TSC store. Woman came in with a bag containing a cattle vaccine. She told the guy the bottle was damaged. All he said was wait until I finish and we will write it up as a replacement.

Also the bottle was perfectly fine . I forgot to put in the fridge. I may be stupid but I'm honest
Good for you young man. It always pays off. :clap: :clap:

TexasBred":14qoy07k said:
callmefence":14qoy07k said:
Margonme":14qoy07k said:

I knew you would make a mistake if I waited long enough. SO DOES BEING DISHONEST. LOL. I have seen a lot of dishonest people doing pretty good. Just check out the lifestyles of some of the TV evangelist.

Margonme":2jlsnxxr said:
TexasBred":2jlsnxxr said:
callmefence":2jlsnxxr said:

I knew you would make a mistake if I waited long enough. SO DOES BEING DISHONEST. LOL. I have seen a lot of dishonest people doing pretty good. Just check out the lifestyles of some of the TV evangelist.
The price will be paid sometime.

jedstivers":mup4x3ep said:
Margonme":mup4x3ep said:
TexasBred":mup4x3ep said:

The price will be paid sometime.

You can count on it. Also considering windfalls acquired by dishonesty to be success
Tells a lot about a person's character...

Margonme":1r9vprwl said:
TexasBred":1r9vprwl said:
callmefence":1r9vprwl said:

But "Callmefence" will go to sleep with a clear conscience regardless of these others and what they do.

How long in high 60s? Hard to say but it would concern me. I use Covexin 8, too.
I also use Covexin eight for my cattle and goats. I need to give 2 more goats a 5ml shot for annual vaccine. I did cows 2 weeks ago and had 10ml left over in multi syringe. Could I use these last two doses to finish my 2 goats? It was kept cool and put back in fridge when the cattle were completed. Do you think it's still ok to give my goats? It's 2 weeks since opening it.

I also use Covexin eight for my cattle and goats. I need to give 2 more goats a 5ml shot for annual vaccine. I did cows 2 weeks ago and had 10ml left over in multi syringe. Could I use these last two doses to finish my 2 goats? It was kept cool and put back in fridge when the cattle were completed. Do you think it's still ok to give my goats? It's 2 weeks since opening it.
It should be fine.

Well, they are goats, does it matter?
Just kidding, I'm sure you love them. I concur with Buck.

Ken

I did the same exact thing one time. Our local feed store will give you ice packs with vaccines. I told them I'm just going straight home don't worry about it. Sure enough I left them overnight in the truck.

Now I have a soft sided little ice chest deal I use just for that. I take it right in and load it up as I buy... and yes, I have still left it overnight in my truck... 😄... but every thing was still very cold the next morning.

Latest posts