covexin 8 left out

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Picked up a 250 bottle yesterday. Was refrigerated at feed store at 2:00.
Got left in truck . Was briefly in high 60 temps.
Temp start dropping fast around 4:00 . Got down to low 40 last night. Bottle was well chilled when I found it this morning.
Still good?

callmefence":3rxcz6qh said:
Temp start dropping fast around 4:00 . Got down to low 40 last night. Bottle was well chilled when I found it this morning.
Still good?

How long in high 60s? Hard to say but it would concern me. I use Covexin 8, too.

Margonme":dq3etrpq said:
callmefence":dq3etrpq said:
Still good?

How long in high 60s? Hard to say but it would concern me. I use Covexin 8, too.

I would say rounding to the worst.
3 ,hours from fridge until air temperature began dropping . The temperature did drop rapidly. And passenger window was down.

If it reached above 45 degrees F for 3 hours, I would not go to all the effort to vaccinate and have in the back of my mind that the vaccine was bad.

There are preservatives in vaccines. I don't know if that protected you. Even when administering vaccines at the facility, I keep mine in a cooler between loading the syringes. You may be ok. Too bad it was a 250 dose bottle.

Margonme":3n47buj4 said:
There are preservatives in vaccines. I don't know if that protected you. Even when administering vaccines at the facility, I keep mine in a cooler between loading the syringes. You may be ok. Too bad it was a 250 dose bottle.

250 ML fifty doses.

If its 60 outside, inside a vehicle is usually noticeably warmer. I'd be leary of it. They are pretty fussy with their warnings of temps and sunlight.

callmefence":1lokwho1 said:
Margonme":1lokwho1 said:

250 ML fifty doses.

Ok. 50 doses. I buy 50 mL (10 doses) bottles because I don't want to use half of a bottle then throw the other half away. Once I start using a bottle, I will only keep it a few days. The 50 mL bottles are unique, reminds me of an IV bag.

While we are on the topic, I change needles between each animal. Otherwise, you are cross contaminating both the vaccine and the animals.

M-5":sk9c9phn said:
I would think it would be fine, Call the number on the bottle if your concerned

MERCK ANIMAL HEALTH
Intervet Inc.
2 GIRALDA FARMS, MADISON, NJ, 07940
Customer Service: 800-521-5767
Order Desk: 800-648-2118
Technical Service (Companion Animal): 800-224-5318
Technical Service (Livestock): 800-211-3573
Fax: 973-937-5557

Being a toxoid and not a live vaccine I don't think you would have a problem especially if you use it promptly.

Years ago I read in testing vaccines they were heated to well above storage recommendations and then only a fraction of the dose was used per animal and to pass they still had to produce the required immune response so there is a lot of safeguard there.

Ken

wbvs58":3ktpmcxk said:
Being a toxoid and not a live vaccine I don't think you would have a problem especially if you use it promptly.

Years ago I read in testing vaccines they were heated to well above storage recommendations and then only a fraction of the dose was used per animal and to pass they still had to produce the required immune response so there is a lot of safeguard there.

Ken

Ken,
Its a bacterin/toxoid preparation.

C. perfringens B 1240 (Inactivated)
C. perfringens B 3424 (Inactivated)
C. septicum toxoid (inactivated)
C. tetani toxoid (inactivated)
C. novyi Type B toxoid (inactivated)
C. chauvoei whole cell culture (inactivated)
C. perfringens Type D toxoid (inactivated)
C. haemolyticum toxoid (inactivated)
C. perfringens Type C toxoid (inactivated)
Preservative (Thimerosal)

Y'all are kinda splitting hairs on this one. It was 60 degs for a few hrs not 90 if the temp of the grug was 35deg whem purchased it likely never got above 50 and if you think the drug companies don't test extremes you would be ignorant. The instructions on everything sold are only there for stupid people and to cover their azz in event of a law suit.

If I was such a tight ass and I wanted to gamble.
I'd buy another bottle and use this one as a booster.
But again for 40.00 it go in the trash and pay the stupid tax

M-5":263tjrkn said:
Or take it back to TS or ? And tell em what happen...theyll prolly give you a fresh one. ;/

Kingfisher":37edpe2t said:
M-5":37edpe2t said:
Or take it back to TS or ? And tell em what happen...theyll prolly give you a fresh one. ;/

Fence, Kingfisher is 100 % correct. If you got it at TSC, they will replace it. I bought dog food this week at the Maysville TSC store. Woman came in with a bag containing a cattle vaccine. She told the guy the bottle was damaged. All he said was wait until I finish and we will write it up as a replacement.

They may replace it and if so it's going to be on their supplier to eat it and take the loss.
I really hate it when it happens to me.
We take care of our mistakes but really hate taking the loss on something that's not our mistake.
I wouldn't ask someone to take the loss on my screwup

Margonme":2z2jv1vw said:
Kingfisher":2z2jv1vw said:
M-5":2z2jv1vw said:

Fence, Kingfisher is 100 % correct. If you got it at TSC, they will replace it. I bought dog food this week at the Maysville TSC store. Woman came in with a bag containing a cattle vaccine. She told the guy the bottle was damaged. All he said was wait until I finish and we will write it up as a replacement.

Great customer service on their part. I wouldn't ask in this case, knowing that I had caused the issue.

Latest posts