covering round bales in winter

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My dad and I use about 25 bales on 12 head of <br>Brahma / Charolais cattle. The problem with spoilage<br>causes a problem. We have tried covering them with<br>a tarp and also, putting them in a shed. The shed<br>needs major repairs, so i was wondering what everyone<br>else does to cut down on hay loss. I saw somewhere<br>that you can buy individual coverings for the bales. <br>anyone use them. Please let me know what you think.<br>Thanks...Emery
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1e2lztpi said:
: My dad and I use about 25 bales on 12 head of <br>: Brahma / Charolais cattle. The problem with spoilage<br>: causes a problem. We have tried covering them with<br>: a tarp and also, putting them in a shed. The shed<br>: needs major repairs, so i was wondering what everyone<br>: else does to cut down on hay loss. I saw somewhere<br>: that you can buy individual coverings for the bales. <br>: anyone use them. Please let me know what you think.<br>: Thanks...Emery<p>Emery, to me this gets down to economics of buying covers or investing in something permanent. I have thought about placing the bales on a terrace where the water will drain away from the bales. If you have a sourse of old truck tires someone wants to get rid of, you could put them to good use by placing a bale on a tire, anything to get it up off the ground. Round bales have their advantages and disadvantages just like anything. <p>
<br>

[email protected]

Emery, When we first started out in the cattle business we didn't have many bales of hay so what we did was put pallets on the ground, then stacked the hay bales and covered with a big tarp. This worked well, except I hated having to pull the tarp back each time you needed a bale. Maybe I'm just spoiled now that we have a building to put the bales in. Good Luck!
<br>

[email protected]