couple old Herfs & a yrlg

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
022.JPG

Here are 2 old girls we just sold, 9 & 10 years old and still raising good calves. The third is a yearling heifer due in May. These girls only saw grain the last few weeks to get them coming when we called, for the convenience of the new owner. They got a couple mouthfulls every 2-3 days to get them running to us. The heifer got 4 lbs/day last winter, turned out in June and that was it.

They kept walking away from me because I wouldn't give them any more grain!
028.JPG

A little better.
026.JPG

herefordlover":3opp74tf said:
arnt those made to be on there side and upside down??? thats how ours are and all the neighbors

Hahaha, I assume you mean the feed troughs and not Herefords!

2 seasons of constant rain the last 2 years just rotted that metal. That trough is probably 7 years old.

i thought they were made for cattle to lay on their backs in.had a brahman get knocked into one..she was like a turtle on its back,, helpless.. had to dump her out with the tractor

ALACOWMAN":3h5bp0xu said:
i thought they were made for cattle to lay on their backs in.had a brahman get knocked into one..she was like a turtle on its back,, helpless.. had to dump her out with the tractor
I had the same thing happen. I guess since the bunks are so short and trips them, since they are a little top heavy.

Limomike":24l2nkas said:
Those old girls were still in great shape.

Thanks, I was pretty pleased with them. We sold them to an older gentleman who had to cull a couple cows that were 20 & 21. He wanted a couple replacements that had some age on them but would likely stick around another 5 years or so. I was tickled pink that these old girls went back out to a farm where they'll likely still keep producing good calves for a few more years.

Chris H":1mh54fjy said:
Limomike":1mh54fjy said:
Those old girls were still in great shape.

Thanks, I was pretty pleased with them. We sold them to an older gentleman who had to cull a couple cows that were 20 & 21. He wanted a couple replacements that had some age on them but would likely stick around another 5 years or so. I was tickled pink that these old girls went back out to a farm where they'll likely still keep producing good calves for a few more years.

How long do you expect these Herfs to keep calving?
Did you mouth them?