Couple old Herf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice pictures the bull would be pretty nice with a little more frame!

One thing to notice about the old pictures. Most of the animals were shorter. I've seen pictures of angus bulls from the 50's and they were up to a mans waist. We have put alot of leg under them in the years since.

I love old pictures like that. Put a few in a lock box. I lost mine to a disaster.

farmerjan":3fculoy4 said:
One thing to notice about the old pictures. Most of the animals were shorter. I've seen pictures of angus bulls from the 50's and they were up to a mans waist. We have put alot of leg under them in the years since.
It's a cycle. If you go back further, you'll see some enormous animals. Someone here once posted the annual grand prize winners of one of the bigger shows (maybe Denver?) back to around 1900. Some of those bulls you'd need a ladder to climb on. It was very interesting, but I've never been able to find it again.

M.Magis":157yahpe said:
farmerjan":157yahpe said:
It's a cycle. If you go back further, you'll see some enormous animals. Someone here once posted the annual grand prize winners of one of the bigger shows (maybe Denver?) back to around 1900. Some of those bulls you'd need a ladder to climb on. It was very interesting, but I've never been able to find it again.

That is interesting and would love to see some pics from way back.. I can remember doing relief breeding for Select Sires in the 80's and the angus were so tall they looked like Chi's. Had to use a milk crate to stand on to get in a few cows, and I am nearly 5'7".

ez14.":2swyz4y1 said:
Nice pictures the bull would be pretty nice with a little more frame!

I agree but sadly I've seen several high dollar bulls that aren't as tall as him. Some of the old cattle have some qualities that have been lost by single trait selection.

Latest posts