couple of questions on pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
When you folks that rotational graze . Do you drag your pasture after moving the cows off of the pasture ? The reason I ask , the cows I have won't graze close to the cow pies . Can't say I blame them . I thought it might help with more even grazing to bust up the piles . Second question . With all the rain we've had the pastures are really soft . The cows are tracking the pastures full of holes . What is the long range problems this will cause ? Any thing a person should do to help the pasture to recover ? Thanks for your ideas and replies. :tiphat:

We don't drag them, by the time the cows are back in that pasture the piles have pretty well been broken down by rain and time.
Pugging in pastures is something that we just bear. Unless it's getting to the dpeth of more then just a copule of inches there really isn;t that much of a problem unless it's also a hay field. A thick sod cuts down a good deal on pugging but I don;t think anything other then keeping them completely off of it will prevent it.

Latest posts