Couple of Questions on Bottle Babies

Help Support CattleToday:

Mcp220

Reaction score
Me again - Sorry! The babies are now close to 3 weeks old. I just have a couple of questions, that I probably already know the answers to, but need reminding or at least reassurance... Everyone is doing fairly well, EXCEPT: # 2 JUST started with some slightly runny poop. Not terrible, but enough to start concern. Of course this is only our 2nd time around with the bottle calves, so we question ourselves regularly.

My first question is - Should we started treating for scours NOW?? Before it gets that far? If yes, should we just go with the pepto stuff or is there a pill or other medication that would work better to nip it now? All 4 babies are separate, so I don;t think we need to worry about it spreading.

Should we give them the 1st dose of 8-way shot now? Or wait until they are 6-8 weeks? I know they will need the booster 4-6 weeks out or at weening.

If they are taking a little grain at feeding, they are not too young, correct? We've got some great eaters and they all went right for the calf starter yesterday. I just don't want to have any issue with stomach development and such.

What do you all suggest for immunizations, ages, etc?

I will be calling the vet next week as well, but sometimes it helps to hear it from people who have the experience as well! Thank you all in advance! I feel like it;s been going way too easy compared to our last bunch - That makes me nervous!!

Need poop pics! Lol
Sooner is USUALLY better than later on scours.

I'm no expert on vaccination, fact is, my bottle calves dont get anything unless they develop an issue. So I'm not much help there.

Good that they are eating feed already too

Need poop pics! Lol
Sooner is USUALLY better than later on scours.

I'm no expert on vaccination, fact is, my bottle calves dont get anything unless they develop an issue. So I'm not much help there.

Good that they are eating feed already too
I will see what I can do :) Do you suggest just giving him Pepto? Or is there something better that will take care of it quicker? I think our other guys, we would give them a pill - Just can't remember what and I know it was a pain in the behind! But whatever we can do to avoid a massive scour festival :oops: Lol...

And for the feed, how much would you say is too much? Thank you!!

Calf manure should be a little loose. Preventing dehydration is really all you need to do. Just keep feeding them, maybe add some electrolyte feedings if they really get diarrhea. Most of the other calf "treatments" that people do are just making themselves feel better. Antibiotic pills for scours are almost useless.

I have used these with some success.
Screenshot_20210512-124416_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20210512-124421_Messages.jpg

Depends what they weigh, but at this stage, as long as they nibbling, I'm happy.
I usually give about a cup a day. They usually wont eat that much to start

And theres @Buck Randall
Listen to this guy. Hes a wealth of knowledge.

Like I said. Need pictures. One persons loose stool is another's just right

The pills helped in my case. But what really helped mine was getting them out of the pen and onto grass!

Last edited:
Good to know - Thank you both! I will get some poop pics tonight after I get home from work. Here's one more for y'all - sunburn on pink noses? Is that a thing? The guy in question (#2) has a black nose with a little pink in it that appears to be a little raw and red. And then #4 has a pink nose with black speckles and the same thing... I haven't seen it yet, but my daughter mentioned it to me just a bit ago. Always something - Lol. I feel like a new mom again and worrying about all the small stuff that doesn't matter once you've had a couple of kids and get to the youngest :rolleyes:

Depends on the type & severity of scours in my world. Generally electrolytes will do the trick, sometimes Tri Pectate charcoal boluses. But if it's really runny, smells vile & the calf is clearly not feeling well I give electrolytes and Sustain III Calf Boluses.

What types of vaccinations & when should be directed to your vet. What works for my location & operation may not be suitable for your calves.

@MurraysMutts Here's a couple of pictures... He was still very active and eating grain both last night and this morning. The other's poop is more of that pastie mustard consistency. Little less runny, etc... This guy's is definitely not as bad as our first group when we had the issue, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with it if that makes sense.

Attachments

• Calf butt.jpg
    Calf butt.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Poop 1.jpg
    Poop 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Poop 2.jpg
    Poop 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
That's scours, treat asap before they get dehydrated and won't take a bottle. Specto Guard for pigs works great for scours, you just pump the medicine into their bottle of milk, I do 1 pump per 10 pounds of body weight,. Or peptobismal works too.

1.5 cc excede now and repeat in three days will help clear it up. I also give electrolytes at noon between milk feedings so they stay hydrated.

Just talked to our vet - He says the keyopectate and electrolytes should help. Possibly scours pills from the Co-Op, but definitely the electrolytes. Especially since he's just started and is still up and active. Says as long as it's a small amount of grain and they're taking it, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Hoping we can nip it in the bud before it turns ugly! Thank you all for your insight - Any other thoughts or suggestions on these guys is greatly appreciated!!

How about what a healthy calf's poop should look like? Should be more of a orange-ish mustard consistency, correct? I'm talking 1-3 weeks of age and not on the mama. And should be somewhat plopped like grown cow?

How about what a healthy calf's poop should look like? Should be more of a orange-ish mustard consistency, correct? I'm talking 1-3 weeks of age and not on the mama. And should be somewhat plopped like grown cow?
Yes that is correct.

My wife always raised all the calves on our dairy so we were able to use cow milk rather than milk replacer but even then at the first hint of diarrhea she would reduce the amount of milk in the bottle and replace it with warm water. You can do the same with milk replacer by simply reducing the amount of the powdered milk you put in one bottle. Always almost without exception would take care of the problem. Keep in mind also that most mixing directions on milk replacer bags are for a 100 lb. calf so its easy to mix the milk too strong.

Latest posts