Couple of my cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Hmmmmmm.......They do appear to have capacity. Kind of hard to tell their thickness and what they are carrying at their rear ends from the pics. It would appear that they might be a little lacking in that area.

KMacGinley":3q290dre said:
I would have to respectfully disagree. Very nice.

So you think based on the pics they are thick cows with lots of hind quarter? Look at the way they are standing on their back legs. I guess we won't know unless he posts some pics from the rear so we can look down their tops and see what they have on their rear end.

I need a better pic. I ain't on the fan board yet.

Don't seem more than ordinary or less on the second one.

Well gee, it looks to me like they both got their picture taken with their rear legs together, which I would assume you are basing your opinion on. The first is a very high volume angus cow and the second is a 3 year old hereford heifer. How much muscle do they need exactly? they are cows, not bulls, I was taught that a female should look like a female and you put the muscle on with the bull.

KMacGinley":11wrc69a said:
Well gee, it looks to me like they both got their picture taken with their rear legs together, which I would assume you are basing your opinion on. The first is a very high volume angus cow and the second is a 3 year old hereford heifer. How much muscle do they need exactly? they are cows, not bulls, I was taught that a female should look like a female and you put the muscle on with the bull.

Maybe so. I just said I wasn't a fan.

Now that I look again. I like them even less.

Thanks for the heads up.

Wewild":ev3i4k6q said:
KMacGinley":ev3i4k6q said:

Maybe so. I just said I wasn't a fan.

Now that I look again. I like them even less.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was responding to jovid, I should have used a quote.

KMacGinley":26oe6u7b said:

So if a calf's genetics is 50 % from the cow and 50 % from the bull and you have a cow with very little thickness and muscle then there is a high probability that 50 % of that cows calve would be light muscled no matter what bull you bred her to.

So the bull is supposed to do all the work? What's the cow for? Why do people flush cows if all the muscle comes from the bull?

sooknortex":2dqt6t47 said:
LOL

You guys crack me up. The first pic is just that a commercial Angus cow. Nothing more nothing less, but she is "my" breeding.

The second is a 2 year old registered Hereford. I bought her (so she is not "my" breeding) for a little project I am working on. I mistakenly said she was a 2005 model, but she is actually a 2006 model.

The pictures were taken in May of this year. I'll try to get some more in the next few weeks. I promise the Angus has a good "rear end". The Hereford maybe not as much but I think she will work for my purposes.

Of course, rear quarter issues are pretty funny coming from the guy with the gimlet arse bull as his avator.

Avatar is not one of our bulls. It is one of the pics from cattle today.

These are some of our bulls.

IMG1153_0122.JPG

PS1.JPG

030.JPG

rear_shot_2.JPG

The three in the middle are steers.

Just wanted to clear up your misunderstanding that the avatar was one of our bulls.

Uh Jovid, cows should look feminine, bulgy muscles on a female are a red flag that says her hormones are not quite right. Cows should have adequate muscling, not light but adequate, they should look like a female. My judging team coach way back when I was at Purdue used sports illustrated swim suit models and East German female olympic athletes as an example to make the point. And I have no idea why people talk about flushing some of the cows that they do, can't help you there.

So if a calf's genetics is 50 % from the cow and 50 % from the bull and you have a cow with very little thickness and muscle then there is a high probability that 50 % of that cows calve would be light muscled no matter what bull you bred her to.

Not quite, muscling is a quantitative trait so in theory the bull will make an improvement, but the calves won't neccesarily be the average of the bull and cow.

I do agree that cows don't need to be musclebound like a bull, but then I've never seen one that was that was also fertile and productive. Cows are still half of the equation so you still need muscle and good conformation in them as well.

I think the angus cow is a pretty decent commercial angus cow, the two year old hereford is just average for a registered heifer and could have done with more spring of rib and capacity. But like Nortexook said he has a plan and she might be adequate for that, don't think he is trying to breed the next Prince Domino out of her.

Well that should settle the issue about the ARSE's on Jovid's bulls. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

KNERSIE":1adbo5oh said:
Not quite, muscling is a quantitative trait so in theory the bull will make an improvement, but the calves won't neccesarily be the average of the bull and cow.

I do agree that cows don't need to be musclebound like a bull, but then I've never seen one that was that was also fertile and productive. Cows are still half of the equation so you still need muscle and good conformation in them as well.

I think the angus cow is a pretty decent commercial angus cow, the two year old hereford is just average for a registered heifer and could have done with more spring of rib and capacity. But like Nortexook said he has a plan and she might be adequate for that, don't think he is trying to breed the next Prince Domino out of her.

Good post.

Latest posts