couple killed by dogs.

Help Support CattleToday:

I heard this on the news this morning. Terrible thing. Sounds like someone didn't have the heart to call the pound on the dogs but was heartless enough to leave them. A pack of dogs can be a viscious thing. What a terrible way to go.

Beefy":22lvhwpw said:
http://www.ajc.com/news/dogs-that-killed-uga-118158.html

i wonder if the lady ever found her dog? and if that had anything to do with her getting attacked?

Your questions are most likely unanswerable.

There was a feral dog on my back porch Sunday morning. Instead of running off, he made the mistake of growling at me. He died of aggravated trauma to the head region.

Horrible way to go. Idiots think it's ok to dump their dog to "live in the country". There is no animal control or nobody called them. Nobody wanted to be the bad guy and shoot the "poor dogs". A perfect storm of bad decisions that came together with awful consequences.

Like I've always said a dog is a dog no mater how much it's pampered and loved.
It's true they make a loyal pet,but the wild has a tendency to return when running with others.
Run in packs and kill is what they do and what they will do when allowed.

Cal

Some "scientist" thinks the way dogs first came to be domesticated was they were hanging around camps eating the trash,getting tamer and tamer..I beg to differ..Noone in their right mind wants a large carnavore hanging around perhaps eyeing the young children. Things like this prove my theory (which I'm going to write into a book and make jillions of $$$ )

ga. prime":mzvphklh said:
Beefy":mzvphklh said:

i wonder if the lady ever found her dog? and if that had anything to do with her getting attacked?

Your questions are most likely unanswerable.

There was a feral dog on my back porch Sunday morning. Instead of running off, he made the mistake of growling at me. He died of aggravated trauma to the head region.

Neighbors dog kept getting in the trash. I told em numerous times to keep it up. They didnt. One day it got in my garage and in the trash. I tried to run it out and it growled at me and came toward me. I went in the house and got the 12 gauge and loaded it with 3 inch buckshot and came back out. The dog snarled and tried to come at me. He died of aggravated shotgun pellets to the head which basically blew his head nearly in half. He was buried with a shovel and it was SSS.

Yep...another reason to exercise our "Right to Bear Arms!"

People that go hiking, bicycle riding, etc., in areas who "do not" believe in guns (or don't think they would need one if they do believe) are always at risk for dogs, cougars, bears, etc. News always has something about someone getting mauled or killed. Some people, I think, are "concerned" that if they shoot the animal (as was the case of some bears in Colorado I think that broke into houses), they will "break the law" for killing some "protected" species.

I'll tell you what! If some unwanted animal (especially dangerous types) gets into my house, my space, or whatever...it's "survival of the fittest"...and I am the "fittest"...lol.

No way I'd go walking out in questionable areas away from my vehicle without a sidearm (this includes my pastures). "Stop the threat...THEN call 911 or whoever and make a report (if necessary). You can die before "help" arrives...

JMO

I always shoot dogs with a .22. Did you ever notice if you shoot a dog right between the eyes... they always wag their tail? I know this is kinda gross but .... it's every time.

peg4x4":1dx1m578 said:
Some "scientist" thinks the way dogs first came to be domesticated was they were hanging around camps eating the trash,getting tamer and tamer..I beg to differ..Noone in their right mind wants a large carnavore hanging around perhaps eyeing the young children.
That theory is probably right about CATS. The minute man started gathering and stockpiling grains (and that probably occurred lifetimes before they were farming it) he had a rodent problem. Small cats went from being an occasional meal to an accepted companion pretty darn quick. The dog/wolf thing is pretty easy to figure out too. Undoubtedly some neolithic hunter killed a b*tch fighting over the same kill and did not have the heart to kill her pups. What started out as an act of mercy or a curiousity eventually made him a much better hunter, a much more dangerous adversary since your fighting him AND his dogs, and gave his camp much more protection from predators than anybody else had because of the dogs' hearing, sense of smell, speed, and viciousness. Man immediately went from competing with dogs and wolves for his daily survival to harnessing the power of the dog for his own benefit. It seems elementary to us; but THE FIRST person to do this successfully must have seemed like a fool to his contemporaries when he began his "experiment".

Beefy":9xa6lzlc said:

I doubt it to both questions. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. What a sad story.

Brandonm22":2b1yjilr said:
peg4x4":2b1yjilr said:
Some "scientist" thinks the way dogs first came to be domesticated was they were hanging around camps eating the trash,getting tamer and tamer..I beg to differ..Noone in their right mind wants a large carnavore hanging around perhaps eyeing the young children.
That theory is probably right about CATS. The minute man started gathering and stockpiling grains (and that probably occurred lifetimes before they were farming it) he had a rodent problem. Small cats went from being an occasional meal to an accepted companion pretty darn quick. The dog/wolf thing is pretty easy to figure out too. Undoubtedly some neolithic hunter killed a b*tch fighting over the same kill and did not have the heart to kill her pups. What started out as an act of mercy or a curiousity eventually made him a much better hunter, a much more dangerous adversary since your fighting him AND his dogs, and gave his camp much more protection from predators than anybody else had because of the dogs' hearing, sense of smell, speed, and viciousness. Man immediately went from competing with dogs and wolves for his daily survival to harnessing the power of the dog for his own benefit. It seems elementary to us; but THE FIRST person to do this successfully must have seemed like a fool to his contemporaries when he began his "experiment".

Thats very interesting Brandonm. I watched something on TV about this. The historian guessed that Dogs became domesticated by at first hanging out near tribes and eating their garbage. Bones and such that prehistoric man would throw in their dump wich was usually very close to home. As Man and dog became more accustom to each other it was inevitable that dogs became domesticated. Atleast thats what I remember him saying.

Walt

["Walt"]Thats very interesting Brandonm. I watched something on TV about this. The historian guessed that Dogs became domesticated by at first hanging out near tribes and eating their garbage. Bones and such that prehistoric man would throw in their dump wich was usually very close to home. As Man and dog became more accustom to each other it was inevitable that dogs became domesticated. Atleast thats what I remember him saying."

His speculation is just as valid as my speculation since neither of us were actually there; BUT I am sure that opossums, rats, mice, vultures, crows, flighless carnivorous birds, big cats, bears, etc also probably combed through prehistoric man's garbage and there is little record that any of these were widly accepted as pets by prehistoric man. The domestication of dogs occurred way way way out there in prehistory. Dingos boated to Australia thousands of years ago. The Indians crossed into North America ~25,000 years ago and dogs came with them so we know Asians had dogs tens of thousands of years ago. Dogs evolutionarily split off from the grey wolf ~100,000 years ago. Now were those first dogs......wild dogs that thousands of years later got domesticated by man? or was the first domesticated animal actually the wolf and the evolution of the dog was NOT an evolutionary accident; but rather was mostly selective breeding of wolves by man??? The dog (wolf?) is probably the first domesticated animal so the person who first domesticated them probably invented the whole concept of keeping and training pets. Our thinking of how this happened is colored by our knowledge of dogs and other pets. I think it is a little out there too suggest that somebody who had never heard of any kind of pet would suddenly try to make "friends" with an adult predator he fought for food with every day. Taking a litter of pups in as perhaps a future meal and then forming that whole pack bond is a whole different scenario.

Brandonm22":2u11j24x said:
["Walt"]Thats very interesting Brandonm. I watched something on TV about this. The historian guessed that Dogs became domesticated by at first hanging out near tribes and eating their garbage. Bones and such that prehistoric man would throw in their dump wich was usually very close to home. As Man and dog became more accustom to each other it was inevitable that dogs became domesticated. Atleast thats what I remember him saying."

His speculation is just as valid as my speculation since neither of us were actually there; BUT I am sure that opossums, rats, mice, vultures, crows, flighless carnivorous birds, big cats, bears, etc also probably combed through prehistoric man's garbage and there is little record that any of these were widly accepted as pets by prehistoric man. The domestication of dogs occurred way way way out there in prehistory. Dingos boated to Australia thousands of years ago. The Indians crossed into North America ~25,000 years ago and dogs came with them so we know Asians had dogs tens of thousands of years ago. Dogs evolutionarily split off from the grey wolf ~100,000 years ago. Now were those first dogs......wild dogs that thousands of years later got domesticated by man? or was the first domesticated animal actually the wolf and the evolution of the dog was NOT an evolutionary accident; but rather was mostly selective breeding of wolves by man??? The dog (wolf?) is probably the first domesticated animal so the person who first domesticated them probably invented the whole concept of keeping and training pets. Our thinking of how this happened is colored by our knowledge of dogs and other pets. I think it is a little out there too suggest that somebody who had never heard of any kind of pet would suddenly try to make "friends" with an adult predator he fought for food with every day. Taking a litter of pups in as perhaps a future meal and then forming that whole pack bond is a whole different scenario.

Very thought provoking. Do you think it all started with just one dog/wolf? I want to think it was going on all over.

Walt

Txwalt":11ed65na said:
Very thought provoking. Do you think it all started with just one dog/wolf? I want to think it was going on all over.

Walt

It would be just guessing. One super genius may have figured all of this out on his own 40,000 to 150,000 years ago and then his work got copied by his contempories who spread the new technology all over the hunter gatherer world who improved on the master's original ideas. Or several super geniuses invented the same thing seperately in more or less the same general time frame working independently. There is no way to know. Some person out of the blue invented how to control fire, language, the throwing spear, the hand axe, that he could cut off an animal's hide, cure it, and then wear it, the boat, the fish hook, that they could store grain over the winter and then plant it in the ground, etc. These are all either the individual acts of raw genius OR are perhaps evidence that a higher power has/is? manipulating events over time.

All the mentioned animals that hung around the early humans were solitary. Only dogs and pigs are flock animals, so the "tame" population became separated from the wild population, enabeling them to develop "tame caracteristics" that differs from the most adaptive caracteristics in the wild. The countless tame bears, foxes and other solitary animals in prehistory turned back to the wild population for mating, or did not breed.

All you have to do is get one female dog/wolf tamed-one- Puppies every year growing up in the tribe-the wild/snappy ones went in the pot-the ones that were nice with the kids were protected by the kids "Mom,please can we keep him,look how cute he is!" Three or four dog generations and you've got a real start at the domestic dog. When the dogs started going hunting with the grown up kids they found out how usefu the dog was..
Oh-I think "dog" was a subspecies of Wolf,told apart by the curled tail. Every dog breed has a curled tail,even those bred for eons to have a dropped tail.

Anyone read about the professor in SC who noticed the dogs hanging around the dumsters. He found them interesting cause they never seemed to get run over and he took a couple home only to find when they had puppies they dug dens under the ground. His theory is that these are not stray dogs but actual native dogs since they resemble the pictures drawn by native american indians.

There are articles on feral dogs in national geogrphic magazine. When breeds are mixed it quickly turns into medium sized yellow dogs with black markings. One of these mixes was dachshund father and rhodesian ridgeback mother.

peg4x4":2nm6c6yf said:
Some "scientist" thinks the way dogs first came to be domesticated was they were hanging around camps eating the trash,getting tamer and tamer..I beg to differ..Noone in their right mind wants a large carnavore hanging around perhaps eyeing the young children. Things like this prove my theory (which I'm going to write into a book and make jillions of $$$ )

The first domesticated dogs were from Asia, and dogs were used in war by the Mongolian tribes. Not very friendly, but trained to kill. Many of the original Asian breeds can still be quite ficious when they want to be. I breed Chows on occasion, they are now thought to be the oldest breed of dogs on the planet, verified by DNA.

Even family pets in the pack mode can become violent, it's their nature.

Latest posts