Couple calving shed questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm figuring out how I want to build a calving/loafing shed over the winter to prepare for our first heifers to calve in. I've found a Sioux brand maternity pen on Craigslist that I think would be useful. A couple questions:

1. Would a maternity pen work for other uses, such as using it to AI in the future?
2. How much room do I need to leave behind the pen between it and the back wall of the shed?

Not sure what you are asking. A maternity pen usually has proper space to swing gate & get cow into a headlock. You would have plenty of space to breed one. Don't know that I would want to have a bunch to breed that way.

I'm figuring out how I want to build a calving/loafing shed over the winter to prepare for our first heifers to calve in. I've found a Sioux brand maternity pen on Craigslist that I think would be useful. A couple questions:

1. Would a maternity pen work for other uses, such as using it to AI in the future?
2. How much room do I need to leave behind the pen between it and the back wall of the shed?
I have a Sioux maternity pen. It's extremely handy year round.
1) I plan to use it for AI in the future.
2) I have another pen behind my calving pen 12'L x 10'W just enough room for a new pair. That way they are easy to get in if the calf needs help, but they are not tieing up the maternity pen if I have another cow in trouble.
Sorry I don't have a better picture. This barn is about 22' deep and 60' long. The yellow pen is the Sioux maternity pen. I do like it better than others I've been around. It has Dutch door sides on both sides of the cow.

Attachments

• IMG_20200222_160245.jpg
    IMG_20200222_160245.jpg
    799.5 KB · Views: 18
I have a Sioux maternity pen. It's extremely handy year round.
1) I plan to use it for AI in the future.
2) I have another pen behind my calving pen 12'L x 10'W just enough room for a new pair. That way they are easy to get in if the calf needs help, but they are not tieing up the maternity pen if I have another cow in trouble.
Sorry I don't have a better picture. This barn is about 22' deep and 60' long. The yellow pen is the Sioux maternity pen. I do like it better than others I've been around. It has Dutch door sides on both sides of the cow.

Thank you, that helped me get a better idea of what I plan to do.