Couple Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
You may critique if you want. Keep in mind that we are a commercial outfit, not producing the next herdsire for anyone....

2 year old Hereford we just bought this spring
BW 91 lbs
Adj WW 778 lbs
Canadian Reg # C02931621
DSC07955.jpg

DSC07956.jpg

5 year old Black Angus, we've used him for the last 3 years
BW 96 lbs
Adj WW 783 lbs
Canadian Reg # 1342070
DSC07951.jpg

I will comment on the hereford when he turns five, The Aberdeen angus looks good, seriously masculine and slicker, more shedded. :tiphat:

Randi
Your Angus bull looks like he is a good servicable commercial bull. The Herf on the other hand looks like he could use two things some bone and some butt.

For the record I am always impressed with your cowherd in general so please don't be offended by my remarks.

Thank goodness for that 2nd photo of the Hereford bull, the first one is not flattering. The Angus bull looks pretty good, lots of length and some butt to him. Your calves always look good, so you must be picking bulls that "click" with your cows. I think that is more important sometimes than the quality of the individual, if the genes merge just right and you end up with more than the sum of the parts.

First off, I have to post a couple more photos, just to see what people have to say. Feel free to critique....
These 2 pictures are of the same bull.

DSC03294.jpg

DSC03299.jpg

I believe that Randi is making a point that there is a big difference in a 4/5 year old bull and a two year old bull. The last pics are of the Angus bull at two years of age. Is this correct Randi? From what I have seen of your cow herd I believe like 3way said you know what you are doing for sure.

I think the pics of the Angus as a 2-yr old shows a much higher quality animal than the pics of the 2-yr old Hereford. He shows his great length, good muscle pattern, good balance. The Hfd "appears" to be lacking in the rear quarters.
As said in other's posts, you see him "live" and usually know what you are looking for.

Yes, I was indeed making a point, although the darn eartags kinda gave it away more than I hoped ;~>. I also agree that seeing in person is much easier to judge than from a photo.

At the time we bought the black bull, he was one of those better any bull (almost) than no bull kinda deals. We bought what we thought was a much better quality BA bull at the same time for twice the price. The "better" bull lasted 2 breeding seasons in the herd before we got rid of him, and that was longer than I would have liked.... OTOH, this bull really grew out well, and now I think he is one of the best bulls we ever bought.

As for the Hereford, I guess, the photos really aren't that flattering, DH was driving, and getting photos of any sort is a challenge, sure don't want to waste any time taking photos after all. Plus the bull really wasn't co-operating, neither were the calves around him. I shall see if I can't get some better photos next time I am out. On looking at him, I agree he is a little lighter boned, but I think his muscling is pretty reasonable for a Hereford bull. My biggest problem with him though is his color, I much prefer a dark red to a light red :~?

Latest posts