County Shows

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom

Reaction score
How much do the steers typically bring at your county fair? Do the kids get the auction and the resale price? How about the Grand Champion?

Ours get the auction price. This year Grand Chamption went for $1.85,
last year $1.40. Buyers seem to prefer around the 1200# mark

That it???? Don't they have a sale for the placing animals? Our kids get the auction price plus the markey price of their steer.

Typically the top steer will bring a little over $2000 premium, but with add ons I don't know the total. My daughters first year she was the last person to make the sale. She had a spot gilt that brought a $1500 premium and with add ons she ended up with $2900. These premiums for the pig were the highest a pig has brought to my knowledge.

WOW. Last year I think our Grand Champon steer sold for like 9000.00 and then the kid got market price on top of that. And the reserve sold for 8000.00 plus resale. The rest of the steer sold for atleast 2000.00 plus resale.

I think last year the grand steer went for $30,000 and the Reserve was $25,000. The rest that sold went from between $10,000 and then down to $4500. However, last year the prices were down.

A lot of that is going to depend on the county your in TSM. The county I'm in is a pretty poor one. The Grand Champion steer brought $3500 plus add ons, the Reserve a little less. You really have to do some promoting at the banks and businesses to get those guys to come and bid.

Now in McLennan County (Waco) they bring more than that, but there are a lot bigger businesses as well.

mobetter11":1erm3yte said:
I think last year the grand steer went for $30,000 and the Reserve was $25,000. The rest that sold went from between $10,000 and then down to $4500. However, last year the prices were down.

Montgomery County. :)

txshowmom":26n1qyou said:
That it???? Don't they have a sale for the placing animals? Our kids get the auction price plus the markey price of their steer.

I'm afraid that's it :cry: The placing animals are sold first starting off
the auction and the kids get only what the animals brings. The profit
isn't much for the kids once expenses are taken out. The pig he raised
brought him about $100. less profit than the steer and is obviously alot less work.
The BullLady is right about the area you are in and this one is obviously a poor one.
The local business are small and unfortunatley for the kids they don't like to bid one
another up. You really have to love the critters around here to do this...the profit
isn't much for the months the kids put into the work of raising one.

Think we'll move out with you all ;-)

Hobby Hereford":s4hxypwv said:
The local business are small and unfortunatley for the kids they don't like to bid one another up.

in our area, it's not just the businesses that buy the animals. individuals donate money as well. some people specify which kid's animal they want their money to go to & others just put it in a general pot that will be used to help bid up kids' animals that aren't bringing much. do ya'll have something like this going, too?

txag":1bdtj6fl said:
Hobby Hereford":1bdtj6fl said:
The local business are small and unfortunatley for the kids they don't like to bid one another up.

in our area, it's not just the businesses that buy the animals. individuals donate money as well. some people specify which kid's animal they want their money to go to & others just put it in a general pot that will be used to help bid up kids' animals that aren't bringing much. do ya'll have something like this going, too?

No our area doesn't have a general pot, the kids have to find each
potential buyer, it can be an individual but around here is pretty much
farm country and quite a few people raise their own to butcher or have
friends who raise them for them so they aren't going to purchase one
at a higher price. Were in a fairly poor economical area and money is
tight. I know the county fair in the next county does bring better money
in for the kids but it's also a larger county and we really are fairly small.
I know no one likes to see the Grand or Reserve bring less than others
so I think if the kids don't really seek buyers to bid them up that contributes
to the others bringing lower prices and quite often the same buyers seems
to purchase the same kids steer year after year.

Hobby Hereford":ygdsb0zu said:
No our area doesn't have a general pot, the kids have to find each potential buyer, it can be an individual but around here is pretty much farm country and quite a few people raise their own to butcher or have friends who raise them for them so they aren't going to purchase one at a higher price.

it sounds like there are a few things you could look into to help bring higher prices. while sometimes the folks giving to the "pot" are parents, there are lots of other folks who can't afford a whole animal but want to contribute something to help the kids out. small donations of even $5-$100 can really add up if you get enough people putting them in.

txag":2opgtw37 said:
it sounds like there are a few things you could look into to help bring higher prices. while sometimes the folks giving to the "pot" are parents, there are lots of other folks who can't afford a whole animal but want to contribute something to help the kids out. small donations of even $5-$100 can really add up if you get enough people putting them in.

Thanks, I like the idea and I will be passing it on

Latest posts