county fair

Help Support CattleToday:

gertfan

Reaction score
Well, we are now at the county fair, of course it has to be the hottest week we have had so far and everyone's animals are feeling it.
We will see how the judge this year likes the gerts, last year he said she was a nice heifer but too much ear, I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut on that comment since she is a gert and gerts do have alot of ear.
Our son is going to have his hands full this year, he has 4 calves to show, the heifer, cow/calf pair and his steer. Before he has just showed a heifer and steer. I think he is stressing, I tried to tell him not to worry since the gerts don't take much to get ready to show but he just doesn't see it my way.
We took our first cow/calf pair this year, hubby is about to go bonkers worried that the calf will get stepped on, or that something will happen to him. he left at 6 this am to go check on him. Tried to tell him that the calf would be fine, but he just needed to see for himself.
Wish us luck.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get a different judge this year! Let us know how y'all do...and bring back pictures!

Jay

Well the show is over, thank goodness!
I was really pleased with the way things went this year, the judge I thought was one of the more fair ones we have had in a long time, and he made no negative comments about the gerts and boy was I glad!
Justin had the cow/calf pair and the judge was really pleased with how the calf was growing. We had the only pair so of course he won that class. The judge liked the other gert heifer, lots of positive comments about her. and Justin took 2nd place rate of gain with his steer. I don't remember the daily gain now but will post later.
Jordan took champion homegrown angus steer. and first place rate of gain.
I don't know why it is but the steers that we take do this every year. One will be so docile at home and be hard to handle at the fair and the one that was hard to handle at home will be great at the fair. We had the same thing this year, Jordan 's steer that was wonderful here almost drug him around the arena. I was surprised and Jordan was pisssed.

Congratulations on your success! And I dunno what it is with them either...at home they're perfect angels and at the shows they get to actin like you've never touched them before. :lol:

Jay

jaydill":289ngjps said:
Congratulations on your success! And I dunno what it is with them either...at home they're perfect angels and at the shows they get to actin like you've never touched them before. :lol:

Jay

We got a heifer that is the exact opposite. She hates being messed with at the ranch, but once she is at the show she's the biggest pet. She'll let anyone show her or rub her anywhere... she has that look about her like she doesnt really care about anything. We actually let a young girl show her in the pee-wee (7 and under and parents are allowed in the ring with the kids) class in june. It was her first time to show and she had the time of her life with this heifer.

Congratulations on the show Gertfan. Sounds like a successful trip to town.

Ryan

We haul cow/calf pairs. We have found a portable dog pen works great to keep the calves in. They don't take up a lot of room and, they give you piece of mind.

Congradulations!

Ours love all the attention they get at the shows. So many of the calves can't be touched by the fair goers.. so if we have one that likes to be handled, we let the kids "touch" them. The last time we showed Brahmans they got spoiled with kids bringing them elephant ears and cotton candy and didn't want to come home. :lol:

We like showing pairs, too. We always try to put the calf where kids can pet it without getting too near the others. I've seen some real young calves at shows but we've never taken anything younger than about 3 months, so they can be tied easily.

In response to my previous post about my boys' steers and not knowing what they gained to receive 1st and 2nd place rate of gain, this is where they are weighed in March and then again when they go to the fair to see how much they have gained.
1325 # steer 3.88 daily gain
1380 # steer 3.77 daily gain