Country Neighbors

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":3kgyxbkp said:
crowderfarms,

Are you suggesting that problems with neighbors are caused/limited by new arrivals from whereever?

Where did you get that conclusion? We know you oppose change...regardless of it's worth....but try to keep some sense of values. We can tell the reason for your questions are personaly based...and don't apply to many other folks. Try a personal social evaluation it may help you.
Mr Prestone Antifreeze
I am suggesting that problems with neighbors are caused by new arrivals that don't mind their own business, such as yourself.
I come to this conclusion by reading some of the misinformation that you have posted on these boards.
By the way do you have any sense of values.
What do you mean that Mr Crowders reasons for his questions are personally based. They apply to many other folks.Do you know what a personal social evaluation is or will you have to look it up in some of your books and have your wife cut and paste it on this board for us.

preston39":wtzr8ffw said:
Crowderfarms":wtzr8ffw said:
Just wondering how many of you know your neighbors? With so many people leaving the Cities to envoke on the "Simple Life" It has my curiousity. Here are some of my Questions./Thoughts.
A. They're Great folks, they'd help me 24/7
B. Wish they'd go back wherever they came from
C. Don't know them-Don't want to know them
D. They think they know it all. Can't wait to see them fall on their face.
E. I pass them on the road now and then, but talk about Hermits.
F. Had them over for Supper, have'nt seen them again.
G. They moved in, lasted for 6 months and Halleluia, they're gone!!
H. Wants to help with our Cattle when we work them, but I'm afraid he'd get killed.
I. Honey I saw the old Jenkins place has a "For Sale" Sign on it today. Let's go celebrate.!
You don't have to follow my questions. Any thought yall' have are welcome!
===========
crowderfarms,

Are you suggesting that problems with neighbors are caused/limited by new arrivals from whereever?

Where did you get that conclusion? We know you oppose change...regardless of it's worth....but try to keep some sense of values. We can tell the reason for your questions are personaly based...and don't apply to many other folks. Try a personal social evaluation it may help you.
Preston, If you were my neighbor, I can guarantee you we'd have a range war like even the Old West has never seen.To be honest with you, my closest neighbor is about 3/4 of a mile away.They're great folks, from Florida. I get along with all the members of my community.The thought of this post is from information that is shared with me by Friends, who are being encroached upon by "Outsiders" I get a kick out of it!. I have enough land that I don't have to worry about people being a problem to me.
How and why would you think I oppose change? You have'nt a clue about me.Your walking on ground that's full of quick sand.
My social evaluation is complete. I'm a respected member of my community. Family has been here for 250 yrs.
Your best bet would be to prove youself to the rest of the members of this board as being any kind of substantial contributor to these boards. Other than your constant rambling about nothing. Your butt gets blasted on a regular basis. Bout everyday.My sense of values are way intact. Presto, got a deal for you. Don't respond to any more of my posts. You're a waste of good People's Oxygen. Before the Posse gets on your butt for attacking my sensible, meaningful post, you need to apologize. Cause they're bout ready to run you off these boards. Nuff said.

Crowderfarms":3v8ivie9 said:
You need to apologize. Cause they're bout ready to run you off these boards. Nuff said.
PRESTO, Yep, it's time for you to apologize to mr Crowder and the others on these boards for you being here at all, before you get run off. If you don't do some mighty big apologizing for being on these boards some will be on your little hiney like white on rice.

Thanks to all of you for your responses, with the exception of one. Out here we all watch out for one another.I've had neighbors call me to help them get a possum or a snake off their porch, grade a driveway,unclog a sink help with a sick cow, you name it!.I'm a lot more receptive to newcomers than some others are. Seems most people that have moved to the Country tend to stay to themselves. As the older generation has died out, a lot of their kids have no interest in Farming or Cattle, and have sold farms in tracts.This opens up farmland for residential use. I have friends that in their area, a lot of the "frontage" land has been used for houses.They are the ones that gave me the thoughts for this post.They are constantly talking about fast drivers, gunshots,trashy people, letting dogs run loose,5 horses on 2 acres,Sheriff's at one house or another a lot. Seems a few of them have brought City problems with them. To me a good neighbor is priceless. Been times when our Cattle got out, and my Wife knew who she could call to help while I was at work.But then again, they know my Wife's one heck of cook, and the pay back will be in Calories. ;-)

dun":361wddi9 said:
Just talked to some friends of ours that bought a place a couple of miles from here. Said he had met one of the neighbors and commented on the dogs chasing deer and that he was going to shoot them. The woman said that they were hers and not to shoot them, there are lots of deer and what could the dogs hurt. She also commented that she was surprised they chased deer, she thought they only chased cattle.
How in the heck do you classify neighbors like that?

dun
Exterminate the dogs.We have that problem too. Another example of anal retentional individual. A dog/dogs running Deer here can be shot. Of course, same with them running Cattle.

Crowderfarms":2wx5nqfc said:
dun":2wx5nqfc said:
Just talked to some friends of ours that bought a place a couple of miles from here. Said he had met one of the neighbors and commented on the dogs chasing deer and that he was going to shoot them. The woman said that they were hers and not to shoot them, there are lots of deer and what could the dogs hurt. She also commented that she was surprised they chased deer, she thought they only chased cattle.
How in the heck do you classify neighbors like that?

dun
Exterminate the dogs.We have that problem too. Another example of anal retentional individual. A dog/dogs running Deer here can be shot. Of course, same with them running Cattle.

That's his plan. S.S.S.

dun

Thankfully we live somewhere that there is no worry about urban sprawl taking over. We are on 140 acres of improved pasture with scattered timber with another 20 or so acres of woods thrown in that I'll keep that way for hunting and native wildlife.

Neighbor to the east owns the land across the road and south of me. Roughly a 1000 acres. Neat operation, cattle, goats, and native grasses along with wildflowers. They have around 3-5 full time employees. Very succesful and progressive. They are a wealth of information. Can ID about any plant or problem I come across but they go from sun up to sun down.

Neighbor across the road to the north owns a little over 200 acres, is the county sheriff, nice guy that when we were moving here even fed my cattle with his own hay before I had any bought and my tractor up here. Farms been in his family for generations.

Neighbor to the west has 120 acres, rarely see him, retired from GM, lives alone, loves to hunt and is doing his best to re-stock the area with quail he hatches out under his hens.

Still I do miss our place in Arkansas. Very tight knit area. Called folks 10 miles away "neighbors". Remember one night I had cattle out on a Wednesday night. It was dark and the church up the road had just let out. One person stops in the drive to let me know cows were out, I go up the road to begin herding them back, whole line of cars drive along the road real slow just to keep the cows from crossing the road, when I get back to the gate a half mile away another neighbor was there with his wife, had the gate open and they chased the cows back onto the pasutre. Just one of many times I can think of being helped. Still get choked up remembering a few years ago when I broke my ankle and had to have surgery. In a round about way I discovered a 70 year old neighbor was organizing folks to come out to cut and bale my hay. Just some great folks I left behind.

I remember telling my wife before we put the place up for sale we ought to charge more just cause of the neighbors.

I also remember talking to the 70 year old rancher before we moved and telling him how I just knew I'd never find any neighbors like I had here. He said said there will always be jerks out there but chances are if your a good neighbor you will have good neighbors wherever you go.

If I do ever find one I don't like I'll just kill them with kindness, that seems to throw folks off as if they are a jerk they don't know how to take someone being nice to them and will then usually come around.

J

We've got some very good neighbors too. They will put your cows up if they see them out, one left a message on my answering machine Sunday that she heard someting in my chickens and went over to see what was after them when I was gone. There were four hawks having lunch in my back yard. We all help each other if something goes wrong and that's how it should be. Can't put a price on a good neighbor.

We just ignore the the neighbors that are standoffish and socialize withe the friendly ones...have one o'l batchelor up on the hill that says our dogs run deer but from what I see they just haul back fresh deer bones from his place (in April). All in all neighbors are great....you get back what you put in...

I have one neighbor that has a house one mile to the left. He lives in Texas, so he just visits occasionally. I guess he calls it a get-a-way home. Then a neighbor that lives 1/3 of a mile to the right. A lady that says she can't continue to work at Wal Mart since she is 58. The kind that might now want to sweat or get any grass in her hair. She is a busy body, so I try to keep it down to a wave. Then on down the road is a rental house that goes with a farm that is owned by neighbors in another county. They work most of the ground around here. They are really nice people and I talk to them occasionally. Most of the time, I only see the people they hire. Seems it is a new crew each year. Then with my 12 hour schedule at work, I don't get to do a lot of visiting. It would be nice to have a neighbor like jscunn has, that does the same things I do and had the same interests.

We have good neighbors all around, we are lucky that way.... we have some that prefer to be left alone, I can dig it! me too most of the time,
and we have neighbors that are social butterflies... always having cook outs and get togethers, as a matter of fact tonight we are going to one tonight.

After the leaves drop in October, we rarely see them again until spring, as we are surrounded by summer homes. Tha tleaves us with only one close neighbor, but this year they are buying a condo in SC to live out the winter months so guess tha tleaves ...US!

We have a few eccentic neighbors, and I accept , and really do like the uniqueness of them.........many are Einstiens, and have hopped off the rat race wheel if you know what I mean. We get along very well as they have no idea as to how stupid I really amas the wife does most of the conversating. :cboy:

we're surrounded by idiots on 2 sides. :roll: well, i suppose the ppl on the east aren't bad. it's the ppl on the west that are a major problem. she causes most of them too. when we put in a pipe yard she said that it made her place look trashy since it bordered her fence and would take away from the price she is trying to get from selling. :roll: oh plz. it'll help if anything. on the south side we are bordered by nothing but chevron pipeline and the county road. on the north we are separated from our neighbors by a river so it's not a prob with them. and they are pretty good ppl.

we socialize more with our neighbors further up the road and across the river than we do next door. must be the distance. :D

I bought the place I'm on in 1972. All the neighbors farmed, helped one another, and gossiped terribly about one another behind their back. You knew where someone lived just by hearing their last name. Almost like the old Scottish clans.

Now many of the best have died and the others all work in town, leaving little time for helping out each other or even a lot of just being neighbors because they are so busy.

We also have a lot of newcomers, some very helpful and friendly, just ignorant of farming in general. Some have lots of money and build big houses. Some have little money and put in trailers, run two or three loose dogs, and keep a simmering burning trash fire going in the back yard with a lot of smelly plastic.

I am only 53 but am beginning to look back at the old days with nostalgia. We have a lot more people but they are either away at work or inside with the air conditioner on. Meanwhile the country is growing up, is much less well tended than it once was. Deer, turkey, and other game are plentiful. Many woods and hollows once visited weekly by kids with rifles after school never see anyone except maybe the farmer looking for a lost cow.

My neighbors to the south are from the city and tend to think
the whole countryside is a big state park and hunters retreat.
I finally caught up with the father one day while he and his boys were running dogs rabbit hunting in my fields. I told him
if he wanted to hunt all he had to do was ask, he called me a few choice words and left. I haven't seen them back since.
My neighbors one mile north have owned thier farm for six
generations as has my family. We all get along great.
Aside from the normal helping out, the gentleman that is the same age as my father (60ish) slipped while getting off of a tractor several years ago. He had a compound fracture of his
lower left leg and was in the hospital for several weeks.
This all happened just before harvest. When I found out about
this, I went over to see if I could do anything to help. I ended
up helping his son clear through harvest. I pretty much forgot
about my own crops until all that was left for the son to do
was fill thier earcorn crib, we got the son set up with wagons
to pick the corn and I left for home. I went to work the next
day with the intention of starting my picking that afternoon.
After I got home from work I walked out to the shed to get things around, walked around the corner and my crib was stuffed
to the top with corn (about twice what I normally put in it), and
all my corn was still standing in the fields.
I started back toward the house and the neighbors truck was
just turning the corner in the lane at the house . The father was able to get out of the house on crutches and ask his son
to bring him over to see me. I was told that Mark (the son) had
filled my crib and also, with no room for discussion, that Mark
would be over to combine my corn and haul it to the elevator
with the check in my name sent to the house. I still to this day
tell Mark and his father some day I will (get even) for what they've done. God bless good neighbors!

Toby

possumranch":nwmd6umn said:
God bless good neighbors!

I'll second that.

Few years back my Dad had a very bad heart attack. Just before haying started. By the time word got around there were neighbor boys waiting to be told witch cows were treated and dry and which calves were still getting milk. Mom didn't have to milk for 3 months.
Silo was filled and hay was all made. By the time corn needed picked, there was a line of equiment in the fields like Dad had thousdands of acres.

certherfbeef":3f7aozm5 said:
possumranch":3f7aozm5 said:
God bless good neighbors!

I'll second that.

Few years back my Dad had a very bad heart attack. Just before haying started. By the time word got around there were neighbor boys waiting to be told witch cows were treated and dry and which calves were still getting milk. Mom didn't have to milk for 3 months.
Silo was filled and hay was all made. By the time corn needed picked, there was a line of equiment in the fields like Dad had thousdands of acres.
Your dads family pronbaly didn't hurt the cause any, either.

Good neighbors are a God send! Possum and Certher, your neighbors sound like very good people! :D

I couldn't ask for better nieghbors when it comes to that father
and son. I even call the father uncle Frank and my children call
him grandpa . I refer to him alot for guidance an he is generous
to a fault, but I always attempt to return the favor. God has truly blessed me by putting them near.

Toby

Latest posts