Country Neighbors

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you know your neighbors? With so many people leaving the Cities to envoke on the "Simple Life" It has my curiousity. Here are some of my Questions./Thoughts.
A. They're Great folks, they'd help me 24/7
B. Wish they'd go back wherever they came from
C. Don't know them-Don't want to know them
D. They think they know it all. Can't wait to see them fall on their face.
E. I pass them on the road now and then, but talk about Hermits.
F. Had them over for Supper, have'nt seen them again.
G. They moved in, lasted for 6 months and Halleluia, they're gone!!
H. Wants to help with our Cattle when we work them, but I'm afraid he'd get killed.
I. Honey I saw the old Jenkins place has a "For Sale" Sign on it today. Let's go celebrate.!
You don't have to follow my questions. Any thought yall' have are welcome!

flaboy

Reaction score
Don't socialize with them much but he knows and I know that if either of us need some help we will help each other. Those are the kind of neighbors I like.

Reaction score
All my neighbors are great. I help them, they help me 24/7, Literally, I will mow their ditches, and they will put my lost cattle up... :D. We will be over each others house at 0300 in the morning if that's what it takes.

We are very lucky to have the neighbors we do, and we all learn from each other.. :shock:

bigbull338

Reaction score
the best way is to have family own the land.lot less ppl to have to deal with .an no outsiders. scott

Bez

Reaction score
bigbull338":30lfbblu said:
the best way is to have family own the land.lot less ppl to have to deal with .an no outsiders. scott

Maybe so Scott - but I am with 1848. With out them this operation would have foundered last year - look up some of my old posts from last fall and winter.

If you never need a neighbour - good on ya' - but if and when the time comes - good ones are better than gold.

No man or family is an island.

I would go to Hell and back for them - and they have already done so for me.

Sign me - "Grateful For My Neighbours"

Bez

susie

Reaction score
the best way is to have family own the land.lot less ppl to have to deal with .an no outsiders.

Sometimes I'd rather deal with outsiders than family. Family doesn't always realize where their business ends and yours begins!!

We have the best neighbors-- willing to lend a hand when needed, lots of hard-earned wisdom they will share if you ask, o/w not bugging us all the time wanting to "chat" across the fence. They have things to get done too.
We help them out too if ever they need it, just got done brush-hogging their field for them. They gave me a spreader for the tractor that they had lying around... works both ways. Unfortunately they're retiring and moving :( So I'm hoping we don't get neighbors like the other ones we have- fancy suburbanites who want a 'park-like setting' and wave ya over to the fence to talk about nothing, while your trying to feed the chickens...

Susie[/quote]

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Well Crowder,

How far do you travel to get neighbors?
I have neighbors that border the farm...will fill him full of buckshot if I ever see him on the place. He has been forewarned of that too. Recentally had a fenceline dispute with him. Took it to court. Had to pay a freaking lawyer just to keep something that was mine to start with. :mad:

But, have neighbors that are 20 miles away...
Will do anything to help them. They have called at 2 am to pull calves and chase cows. We have done the same. Places do not boarder, not even in the same county. But best of friends and good neighbors.

la4angus

Reaction score
certherfbeef":3aagibuj said:
Well Crowder,

How far do you travel to get neighbors?
I have neighbors that border the farm...will fill him full of buckshot if I ever see him on the place. He has been forewarned of that too. Recentally had a fenceline dispute with him. Took it to court. Had to pay a freaking lawyer just to keep something that was mine to start with. :mad:

But, have neighbors that are 20 miles away...
Will do anything to help them. They have called at 2 am to pull calves and chase cows. We have done the same. Places do not boarder, not even in the same county. But best of friends and good neighbors.
Wow Cert, if I was your neighbor, I think I would rather live at least 20 mi from your place than to border your farm.

eric

Reaction score
I've been blessed with mostly very good neighbors. But, they sure are different. Rich city folk types behind me who built on the minimum 4000 sq ft homes on 5 acres, who never do a thing but write a check each month for the work they have done, to the older town folks who have been there awhile and do all their own repairs and have helped me out most anytime I've asked. I've had my truck pulled out of mud by a neighbor on Sunday morning, and I've also pulled neighbors out of mud when asked, along with sharing the labor / expenses of repairing fences when needed.

Farmhand

Reaction score
No socializing with the neighbors here either. One across the road - don't agree with what he does but we do help each other out when needed. One down the road - don't care if I ever see them, holier than thou type. The others around the corner - grew up in the country, either crop farm or just live in the country, no livestock. May have trouble with the one that borders our place if we decide to push him to fix his half of the fence.

bigbull338

Reaction score
bez i wasnt implying that i wouldnt help ppl.all to often dad an id be working an have to stop. b/c a neighbor needed his tractor pulled out of the pool b/c he burned his baler up.or had to go pull a tractor out when it was freezing.so i know what it is to help ppl. scott

TLCfromARK

Reaction score
Most fall into the "A" class. I have a lot of kin folk within 10 miles and get along with almost all of them great! We all help each other as needed.

I have had a few neighbors over the years that fall into the other discriptions mention.

;-)

Dave

Reaction score
Across the road and to the west are great. They help me, I would help them with anything. To the east..... I told him "this is the property line, if you cross it you better be loaded for bear because I am." I thought about burning a surf board in his yard after he moved here from California. The neighbor on the other side of him and I have talked, we both regret having not bought that house for a rental or something before this guy moved in.
Dave

dun

Reaction score
Just talked to some friends of ours that bought a place a couple of miles from here. Said he had met one of the neighbors and commented on the dogs chasing deer and that he was going to shoot them. The woman said that they were hers and not to shoot them, there are lots of deer and what could the dogs hurt. She also commented that she was surprised they chased deer, she thought they only chased cattle.
How in the heck do you classify neighbors like that?

dun

milesvb

Reaction score
We had a citified neighbor move in across the road. When we met them the husband commented about our Charolais bull lowing and hollering to the bull next door. "That bull sure seems dangerous. Wouldn't it be better to get him castrated if you're going keep him around?" :shock:

I wonder what he thinks of ol' Lucifer? Heh heh

The neighbors that are local folks we get along fine with. The newcomers (city folks or uber rich snobs) are mostly a pain in the a$$.

ChrisB

Reaction score
We are on the edge of urban sprawl so we have several new neighbors. At first I didn't like them just because they were from the city but after getting to know them they are pretty decent and enjoy chatting with them. I think we both had preconceived ideas about each other when they first moved in. The other farming neighbors that have been around forever are the best and we are always helping each other out.

A6gal

Reaction score
The family to the east of me has owned the property for generations and just broke off 30 acres against my fence line for their daughter to build a house. Unfortunately they cleared most of the land of the brush, painted purple on every other post all up and down the fence line and posted NO TRESPASSING signs all along the front of the property. It kind of pissed me off when they painted purple on the fence between my place and theirs. I'm a 40+ year old women with my kids grown and gone. Who do they think is going to be crawling through that fence line and for what purpose! Anyway, they are kind of strange. I've half a mind to put a tripod and feeder up about 10 yards off that fence line (not that I'd hunt it, but they don't have to know that). Just to aggravate them a little.

I have a great neighbor to the west, nice older man and woman raising their granddaughter while their son is in Iraq. They moved in about 3 years ago. We wave at each other when we pass on the road and keep in touch if there is a need as far as fence fixin etc.

The family to the north has owned the land for generations, he is a retired ag teacher at the high school in town, he is somewhat arrogant at times. I burned the upper part of my coastal field before spring and he chatized me for it pretty good, said I probably ruined it. Made me feel pretty dumb. My dad used to burn for weed control so I thought I'd try it. It came back just fine.

The family across the road to the south has a lot of money and tend to keep to themselves.

I think all of them are waiting for me to throw in the towel on my place so they can buy me out. Both the guy to my east and west have made comments about calling them first should I ever decide to sell. Hate to tell them, It's not going to happen, at least as long as I'm alive, now my kids, that is a different story. Unfortunately, when I'm gone, they'll probably sell before the dirt settles over my grave.

Reaction score
A6gal":1id8zqek said:
Unfortunately, when I'm gone, they'll probably sell before the dirt settles over my grave.

I guess we all hope to leave something behind for our kids. Unfortunately, it gets sold and then those kids end up trying to do the same thing for their kids at the end of their life. It's a vicious cycle... :D

preston39

Reaction score
Crowderfarms":yzpmjupv said:
Just wondering how many of you know your neighbors? With so many people leaving the Cities to envoke on the "Simple Life" It has my curiousity. Here are some of my Questions./Thoughts.
A. They're Great folks, they'd help me 24/7
B. Wish they'd go back wherever they came from
C. Don't know them-Don't want to know them
D. They think they know it all. Can't wait to see them fall on their face.
E. I pass them on the road now and then, but talk about Hermits.
F. Had them over for Supper, have'nt seen them again.
G. They moved in, lasted for 6 months and Halleluia, they're gone!!
H. Wants to help with our Cattle when we work them, but I'm afraid he'd get killed.
I. Honey I saw the old Jenkins place has a "For Sale" Sign on it today. Let's go celebrate.!
You don't have to follow my questions. Any thought yall' have are welcome!
===========
crowderfarms,

Are you suggesting that problems with neighbors are caused/limited by new arrivals from whereever?

Where did you get that conclusion? We know you oppose change...regardless of it's worth....but try to keep some sense of values. We can tell the reason for your questions are personaly based...and don't apply to many other folks. Try a personal social evaluation it may help you.

Latest posts