Country Music

Help Support CattleToday:

6 pages and nobody mentioned Jimmy Rogers? I see Bob Wills got a few votes, and rightly so, but none for Spade Cooley, who outsold him and ran him off the road musically.
Ya'll that aren't satisfied with what passes for C&W today should try going back in time a bit, you will be delighted at what you find. No, not Willie and Waylon back, but back to the thirties and forties. Might just be what you were looking for all along.

DairyAirFarm":355zbpbp said:
6 pages and nobody mentioned Jimmy Rogers?

The original Jimmy Rodgers and not either of the 2 that used the name later. And why not Ann Murray. She was the last female single vocalist that actaully sang instead of screech or whine.

Talking about going back in time, I remember when it was announced over the radio that Hank Williams died.Was just a little feller but remember mother bawling her eyes out and my dad just setting there real quite.Im thinking it was around 1952.

Cal

Calman":mfvk4wzj said:
Talking about going back in time, I remember when it was announced over the radio that Hank Williams died.Was just a little feller but remember mother bawling her eyes out and my dad just setting there real quite.Im thinking it was around 1952.

Cal
if my memory was correct they found old hank dead in the backseat of his caddy jan 1 1952 at the age of 27.

dun":3izyj2yl said:
DairyAirFarm":3izyj2yl said:
6 pages and nobody mentioned Jimmy Rogers?

The original Jimmy Rodgers and not either of the 2 that used the name later. And why not Ann Murray. She was the last female single vocalist that actaully sang instead of screech or whine.

You hit that. I hate to hear some of those singers scream. Martina McBride comes immediately to mind. She does not sing, she screams and yells. I have heard that she's not good live as she splits a lot of tones and does not always have the range she needs. But I have never seen her. I just heard that she has to have quite a bit or work done in studio when she records to doctor up her voice. I am sure that's true with a lot of singers of all kinds.

I could not think of Jimmy Rodgers to save my life! I wanted to mention him, but just could not get the name to come to me.

Between the screaming and embellishment, I think that simple singing of a good song has gone out of fashion. All the female singers want to be divas.

Lammie":162spn68 said:
dun":162spn68 said:
DairyAirFarm":162spn68 said:
I hate to hear some of those singers scream. Martina McBride comes immediately to mind. She does not sing, she screams and yells. I have heard that she's not good live as she splits a lot of tones and does not always have the range she needs. But I have never seen her. I just heard that she has to have quite a bit or work done in studio when she records to doctor up her voice. I am sure that's true with a lot of singers of all kinds.

Dear, sweet Lammie. You're treading on thin ice when you start bad mouthing Martina in front of me. :p I love her and I don't care who knows it. I just wish she would do more country instead of pop. Don't know about the studio thing but I've seen her live twice and she sounded great both times. And, yes, I was sober. ;-)

Calman":3cke546i said:

Cal

Anybody remember Johnny Horton..."Battle of New Orleans"?? He died young too as best I remember.

Dear, sweet Lammie. You're treading on thin ice when you start bad mouthing Martina in front of me. :p I love her and I don't care who knows it. I just wish she would do more country instead of pop. Don't know about the studio thing but I've seen her live twice and she sounded great both times. And, yes, I was sober. ;-)[/quote]

Dear Sweet Van, I don't like it when my ears hurt and I avoid it when possible... :mrgreen:

I will grant exception to Martina 'cause I like you some.