Country music?

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw Loretta Lynn in an interview and she was asked why we don't hear her on the radio anymore. She said it was because she is TOO COUNTRY! How can a Country Music artist be "too country?" That's like a woman being "too pretty". Ain't no sucha thing! ;-) Nashville just ain't what it used to be. In fact, entertainment as a whole has been on a downhill slide for years.

Country music is in a sad shape of affairs. The old Country Music would not be understood by a lot of today's young listeners. If you had acts like Don Williams, Tom T. Hall, Merle Haggard and many others on the radio today, it would come like a reaction if Mayberry RFD was on Prime Time TV, people would throw rocks at the TV.Real, Pure country has always taken me back to a time when things were simpler, and laid back somewhat, the way the Andy Griffith show and Mayberry were.

J. T.":2nptbrmb said:
Nashville just ain't what it used to be. In fact, entertainment as a whole has been on a downhill slide for years.
In fact a lot of so-called entertainment today is nothing but garbage.

la4angus":19qjzw3h said:
J. T.":19qjzw3h said:
Nashville just ain't what it used to be. In fact, entertainment as a whole has been on a downhill slide for years.
In fact a lot of so-called entertainment today is nothing but garbage.

Isn't that the truth! If it keeps going like it is, GAC and CMT will have an R rating before long. They probably should already have an R rating, I wouldn't want my kids watching quite a few of the videos that are aired.

msscamp":prnca7w1 said:
Isn't that the truth! If it keeps going like it is, GAC and CMT will have an R rating before long. They probably should already have an R rating, I wouldn't want my kids watching quite a few of the videos that are aired.
Even worse is having your parents watching the same videos. That could really be embarassing.

la4angus":3gaqxxtl said:
msscamp":3gaqxxtl said:
Even worse is having your parents watching the same videos. That could really be embarassing.

Mom has quit watching both channels when videos are on. I got to listen to a 15 minute diatribe one day about Keith Urban's 'Raining on Sunday', and Dierks Bentley's 'Come a Little Closer'. She was absolutely disgusted by both of them.

msscamp":27xkjdz6 said:
la4angus":27xkjdz6 said:
msscamp":27xkjdz6 said:

Mom has quit watching both channels when videos are on. I got to listen to a 15 minute diatribe one day about Keith Urban's 'Raining on Sunday', and Dierks Bentley's 'Come a Little Closer'. She was absolutely disgusted by both of them.

Don't care for either one of them but if you wanna see disgusting just watch big and rich!

I'll pass Bif, but thanks anyway. I have a hard enough time just listening to some of their lyrics, much less watching one of their videos!

Scotty":2k2tgkfr said:
I really like Merle. My nine YO loves him. One of my favorites that is rare on the radio is Marty Robbins. I love those songs of the gun fights.
Scotty

"Out in the west Texas town of El Paso"

I can still remember my dad and a buddy of his singing Marty Robbins when they were drinking.

How can someone not like a guy who raced cars in the evening, and would go over to the Grand Ol Opry to perform at night? That was a real man.

I may be wrong but I have a theory that the reason you dont hear songs like the old ones is because most of the older singer-songwriters lived those songs. Now you cant even spit on the street with out the fear of someone taking you to court so these guys and gals cant live the songs to write them.

Just the way I see things. JHH

Lets not forget Hank Williams SR. Love to sit and listen to him sing. My wife says he sounds like he has something treed and doesnt care much for him. I should have been born about 12 yrs sooner I like all the old stuff that no one else listens to now.

JHH":2tcieyfs said:
I may be wrong but I have a theory that the reason you dont hear songs like the old ones is because most of the older singer-songwriters lived those songs. Now you cant even spit on the street with out the fear of someone taking you to court so these guys and gals cant live the songs to write them.

Just the way I see things. JHH

Lets not forget Hank Williams SR. Love to sit and listen to him sing. My wife says he sounds like he has something treed and doesnt care much for him. I should have been born about 12 yrs sooner I like all the old stuff that no one else listens to now.

Good point JHH! I am a fan of Blues also and I think this same thing applies to the Blues, they lived their music in the old days.

aplusmnt":18la69f2 said:
Good point JHH! I am a fan of Blues also and I think this same thing applies to the Blues, they lived their music in the old days.

I don't think that Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray, or Kenny Wayne Sheppard ever worried about the levee breaking or where the next meal was gonna come from. Whether it's blues or country, it's in your soul. You don't have to suffer to sing/play the blues; you just have to sing like it :)

cypressfarms":a5x930gf said:
aplusmnt":a5x930gf said:

I don't think that Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray, or Kenny Wayne Sheppard ever worried about the levee breaking or where the next meal was gonna come from. Whether it's blues or country, it's in your soul. You don't have to suffer to sing/play the blues; you just have to sing like it :)

But singing and playing are not what makes for great songs. Lots of people can sing and play. Great songs come from the writing of them. And any great song writer will tell you that they get this through their life experiences.

Ps. I do not think any of those listed are who people think of when it comes to great Blues, 1st off Led Zeppelin in a Rock Band, Stevie Ray Vaughn was blues and rock but mostly all he was, was a great guitarist. Great Blues artist were people like B.B. King, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, T-Bone Walker, and Muddy Waters.

Sorry for going Blues on a Country thread!

I like the the honky tonk saw dust kicking crying in my beer beating my dog country :cboy: thankfully the great old lynyrd skynyrd has took my son away from that new rock garbage and has grafted him over to country. its funny when he plays skynyrd and ask me have i ever heard this song i get a twinkle in my eye. its also funny when you hear a old skynrd song seeing a crowds reaction too it ;-)

Have any of you listened to Jeff Bates? I love to hear him sing he reminds me of Conway Twitty. His "Long Slow Kisses" is my all time favorite of his. He came here and sang at our "Let Freedom Sing" concert for the Giles County Trail of Tears Memorial we are building here. We have had singer, songwriters that write for Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks and so on and so on. It is amazing to here the younger ones try and bring back the original sound but the music producers want the more country rock style. The problem is we need to stand up for for the old fashion, belly rubbing, cheek to cheek, waltzing, two stepping original country sound. Marty Robbins, Bill Monroe, Bob Wills, and the now George Straight-the Best of the Best of modern legendary Country music.. Lets try and keep these going in todays world! :cboy: :heart:

ctlbaron":205pluwo said:
Don't we have any old rockers here? (not chairs)

I'll admit to liking Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, the killer, and a lot of the old doowop stuff. Nothing since the insect invasion

dun

ctlbaron":3s2wij08 said:
Don't we have any old rockers here? (not chairs)

I like about any kind of music, my favorite is Blues, and lots of the old Rock starting with Elvis and through some of the 80's stuff. Like Jazz, Love Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels Band (Souths gonna do it again type). I am a big Muscle Car Fan so got to have some Beach Boys and Jan and Dean type music also. I even like some of the New Country, which seems to be not real popular on this sight, Seen Garth in Concert a few times and Seen Shania Twain 4 times.

Just hold the music that you must have your pants hanging down past your crack to sing (aka Rap)

aplusmnt":3tzefzfd said:
cypressfarms":3tzefzfd said:
aplusmnt":3tzefzfd said:

But singing and playing are not what makes for great songs. Lots of people can sing and play. Great songs come from the writing of them. And any great song writer will tell you that they get this through their life experiences.

Ps. I do not think any of those listed are who people think of when it comes to great Blues, 1st off Led Zeppelin in a Rock Band, Stevie Ray Vaughn was blues and rock but mostly all he was, was a great guitarist. Great Blues artist were people like B.B. King, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, T-Bone Walker, and Muddy Waters.

Sorry for going Blues on a Country thread!

O.k., aplusmnt, me and you gonna go one on one on this!

For someone to say Led zeppelin is only a rock band, hasn't listened past the radio songs. listen to When the levee breaks, Since I been loving you, Tea for one, and I can't quit you baby, then come back and tell me they can't play/sing the blues.

Stevie Ray! Bite your tongue! He played many cover Jimi Hendrix tunes. Have you sever listened to Little wing? How about the sky is crying?

Ofcourse BB King, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, and Muddy waters were great. You forgot Willie Dixon, clarence gatemouth brown, Albert Lee, and many others. The people you've listed are 2nd generation blues artists, so if you want to talk about the real blues, go back to the '20's and 30's, do some research and find out where BB, Buddy, and the others learned their craft from! (can you say robert Johnson, or have you heard of him) I've seen three of the people you mentioned in person, and Bo Diddley as well. By the way BB isn't much of a guitar player, but he's got soul.

By the way, I've been playing guitar for over 20 years now. I know my music. Sorry aplus, not trying to take it out on you, but there is more to blues than just the surface.

Latest posts