Country music?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms":2mh2ksm0 said:
aplusmnt":2mh2ksm0 said:
cypressfarms":2mh2ksm0 said:
aplusmnt":2mh2ksm0 said:
Good point JHH! I am a fan of Blues also and I think this same thing applies to the Blues, they lived their music in the old days.

I don't think that Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray, or Kenny Wayne Sheppard ever worried about the levee breaking or where the next meal was gonna come from. Whether it's blues or country, it's in your soul. You don't have to suffer to sing/play the blues; you just have to sing like it :)

But singing and playing are not what makes for great songs. Lots of people can sing and play. Great songs come from the writing of them. And any great song writer will tell you that they get this through their life experiences.

Ps. I do not think any of those listed are who people think of when it comes to great Blues, 1st off Led Zeppelin in a Rock Band, Stevie Ray Vaughn was blues and rock but mostly all he was, was a great guitarist. Great Blues artist were people like B.B. King, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, T-Bone Walker, and Muddy Waters.

Sorry for going Blues on a Country thread!

O.k., aplusmnt, me and you gonna go one on one on this!

For someone to say Led zeppelin is only a rock band, hasn't listened past the radio songs. listen to When the levee breaks, Since I been loving you, Tea for one, and I can't quit you baby, then come back and tell me they can't play/sing the blues.

Stevie Ray! Bite your tongue! He played many cover Jimi Hendrix tunes. Have you sever listened to Little wing? How about the sky is crying?

Ofcourse BB King, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, and Muddy waters were great. You forgot Willie Dixon, clarence gatemouth brown, Albert Lee, and many others. The people you've listed are 2nd generation blues artists, so if you want to talk about the real blues, go back to the '20's and 30's, do some research and find out where BB, Buddy, and the others learned their craft from! (can you say robert Johnson, or have you heard of him) I've seen three of the people you mentioned in person, and Bo Diddley as well. By the way BB isn't much of a guitar player, but he's got soul.

By the way, I've been playing guitar for over 20 years now. I know my music. Sorry aplus, not trying to take it out on you, but there is more to blues than just the surface.

I will give on the Stevie Ray, he is for sure blues and probably one of the greatest Guitarist of all time, but what I was getting at is not about playing the guitar, What I was talking about is more down the lines of the lyrics, what the song has to say. Writing of great Blues songs (lyrically) is much like old country. These people lived these songs I believe rather it was hard knocks of living in the country/Farm or through hard life many great blues artist lived in the Cities and many of the prejudice they faced since most were Black in a time when it was not popular to be so.

If we talk about just how they played the Guitar then I would have to give his dues to Johnny Lang (saw him at the Palace in Tulsa) he is a heck of a Blues Guitarist, and I like his voice also. But I doubt he has lived a hard life either and it reflects in the type of songs he sings versus, some of the older guys like Muddy Waters.

But like I said before I like them all! Nice to see someone on here appreciates some other great music besides just country!

This thread was on "country" but i keep hearing about folks who sing western. You can like them both but you ought to know the difference.

I'm with you Rocksprings.

Yup, went from country right over to the other side.
Saw mention of jazz and rock folks (and thats OK just don't call them country).
Hank (and I don't mean JR) Jimmy Rogers (the father of country music) Mother Mabel, the VOICE (thats Vern to you city folks).
Merle, George (and I don't mean Straight), and many many others that made country music country.
Then came Barf and it all went to heck in a hand basket.
Money is what drives the industry not music

I can remember when I was first starting to play the guitar, thought om and dad weren't home. Turned up dad's Best of Merle Haggard and was playing to "working man" when he walked in and looked with amazement (He thought I only liked rock).

In my mind good artists are good artists. I will listen to Waylon Jennings and Robert Johnson and Johnny Cash, James Brown among many others, because they were true to what the did. They had a style, loved their music (whichever genre it may be), and stayed true to it. Money seemed to be an afterthought to these artists. I think Merle or Willie would be playing and making music if they got paid nothing. Something that many of these new "artists"(makes me bite my tongue) don't know about.

cypressfarms":1phgppvh said:
I can remember when I was first starting to play the guitar, thought om and dad weren't home. Turned up dad's Best of Merle Haggard and was playing to "working man" when he walked in and looked with amazement (He thought I only liked rock).

In my mind good artists are good artists. I will listen to Waylon Jennings and Robert Johnson and Johnny Cash, James Brown among many others, because they were true to what the did. They had a style, loved their music (whichever genre it may be), and stayed true to it. Money seemed to be an afterthought to these artists. I think Merle or Willie would be playing and making music if they got paid nothing. Something that many of these new "artists"(makes me bite my tongue) don't know about.

Amen! Do you play in a band or anything?

aplusmnt":1muawikx said:

I've played with many bands and at impromptu's at weddings etc. I've never had the time to be "in" a band, because I just haven't had the time to practice with others. Probably the most fun I had was a my sister in law's wedding, where I got up with the band and played several songs with them. (I knew all the band members) Nothing like a little "Johnny Be Good" and "Tell it like it is".

cypressfarms":3iw2fa64 said:
aplusmnt":3iw2fa64 said:

I've played with many bands and at impromptu's at weddings etc. I've never had the time to be "in" a band, because I just haven't had the time to practice with others. Probably the most fun I had was a my sister in law's wedding, where I got up with the band and played several songs with them. (I knew all the band members) Nothing like a little "Johnny Be Good" and "Tell it like it is".

I have a friend that owns a bar. And one night a week they have a open mike thing, but hardly anyone sings, everyone just gets up there and plays music and jams. There will be some people playing spoons, guitars, washboard, harmonica...you name it they play it. Some of the best music I have ever enjoyed listening to. Just some impromptu-ed jamming

Latest posts