Country Entertainment

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez!

Reaction score
Went over to the neighbours tonight. He and his wife were doing their best to train some cows to stay behind the electric fence. Actually the animals were around 10 months old.

Seems the grass was so good not one animal wanted to try the fence. They had been there for two days and there had not been one animal touch the fence that they knew of. I suggested making the pen a bit smaller but no one really wanted to do the work. Too hot and too muggy.

So, I asked Sharon to go to the house and get me some of those aluminum disposable pie plates. While she did this I hit Brian's shop for a bit of light wire, a pair of wire cutters and a small punch.

They were looking at me like I was crazy, but I turned off the power and hung those plates on the wire. Then I turned the power back on.

We sat back and watched every animal sniff the plates or lick the plates and get snapped each time. It took the all of 20 minutes for all of them to learn there was some heat on the fence.

Had a good laugh at the same time. You know those animals all had some very comical expressions - especially the ones that tried to taste the plate.

We will take the plates down tomorrow and leave the cattle behind the wire in this small pen for a couple of more days. I told them to wait until the grass is quite short - but not so short that they push the fence hard.

I do not think any animal will try to push it. They have an excellent powered system.

Simple and very entertaining to us country folk. 8)

Regards,

Bez!

Better watch out for PETA, ACLU, SPCA, Jessie Jackson and all that bunch!!

Sounds entertaining, though!!

I love to watch the calves. One tries it, then they all got to. Love to hear them holler! :lol: :lol:

I always when I let my calves out wait for those first two hits usually that is all it takes.

I thought it was going to be about a bird feeder and a BB gun

dun

I like the plate idea. I normally just tie a piece of survey tape in a short ribbon on a few places on the fence when I am training new cows to a hot wire. They come up to sniff the ribbon and get zapped on the nose. I just leave the tape on the fence, it will eventually decay in the weather. It has worked great so far.