Counting Your Money

Help Support CattleToday:

You guys all talking millions makes this poor old cow trader feel really poor. But guess my SS will put food on the table.
We actually live on our SS Kenny, we're still saving.
For what I haven't a clue.
I spent more this year on I wants than in my life.
Bought a new bass boat in September and truck in January. My kids were in shock.

Bought a new bass boat in September and truck in January. My kids were in shock.
I'm messing with you Caustic Burno.
I have no debt, some land, wife has a new SUV, 4 other vehicles, couldn't tell you what we have in the bank or investments because wife takes care of all of it. Been cutting back to around 50-60 hours of work a week. Not poor but you would think so if you seen me. But if I want to buy 20 cows tomorrow it's ok. Guess I just like working and it doesn't take a lot to do me.

We can live pretty cheap too. We do buy some nicer things because we can but definitely don't blow money because we can. It is nice to be able to pickup a big dinner bill or splurge every now and then without having to worry about it.

We actually have no idea what we spend when you take the bills out of the equation. I know during feeding season I spend around $5 a day on a tall boy and one of those round beef jerky sticks. Other than that It mainly goes on groceries and fuel.

Possum on the half shell gets a little tiresome. Won't belong before there will be some bald eagle eggs in the cottonwood on the Never Never.
A oouple of eagle eggs and some fryin size spotted owl, maybe some grits and I'm set for all day. Sold a cow the other day and had to go to a
bank to get my money. They said I could put it on deposit with them. I told them, "No thanks, I still had pockets that ain't never seen money yet.

Can't take it with you and you might as well have the new stuff just as well as your heirs. First thing they will do is buy something nice in your " memory". I might as well buy something nice and enjoy it and they can " remember the day Dad bought that he was so happy".

Can't take it with you and you might as well have the new stuff just as well as your heirs. First thing they will do is buy something nice in your " memory". I might as well buy something nice and enjoy it and they can " remember the day Dad bought that he was so happy".
You'll never see a U-Haul behind a hearse !

Ok lets say I wanted to live on $65-75k a year. Draw a salary so to speak. Then how much would a man need in there.
estimate what debt you will have and living expenses, probably use what you have now in total expenses monthly. to last 10 years at 4% return, at $72k/ year you need $600,000. this is a good link to use to calculate it. https://www.fidelitybank.com/resour...or-how-long-will-my-retirement-savings-last/? https://www.fidelitybank.com/resour...PLATE_ID=www.fidelitybank.com_4&PostBack=true

Between SS and my retirement I bring home about what I did when working. Frugal doesn't begin to describe my wife. She has a closet full of nice clothes. She only shops at thrift store. She gets real nice name brand quality stuff for pennies on the dollar by shopping the right stores and taking advantage of opportunity when it arises. We have a big pantry. When things we use come on sale we stock up. Of course meat and a lot of vegetables and fruit come from our own place.

When people look at amount of money needed for retirement, they tend to think in terms of their present spending, lifestyle and health. When they actually retire, they can spend all their savings in one year on travel and fun stuff or they can live on very little. Just depends on what they do and how they live. The unknown is how long your money needs to last. Some people might need their money to last 30+ years. And the last 10 years of expenses may be related to dying (poor health) more so than living. For poor health (physical or dementia) for an extended time, the living (dying) costs can be huge.

When people look at amount of money needed for retirement, they tend to think in terms of their present spending, lifestyle and health. When they actually retire, they can spend all their savings in one year on travel and fun stuff or they can live on very little. Just depends on what they do and how they live. The unknown is how long your money needs to last. Some people might need their money to last 30+ years. And the last 10 years of expenses may be related to dying (poor health) more so than living. For poor health (physical or dementia) for an extended time, the living (dying) costs can be huge.
Exactly. Health bills and travel can add up quick.

Plus, it amazing what you spend when you have time. All those things you have been wanting to do you can now do... and they aren't cheap.

We always use to joke at work how much money we made when we were bowed up. Not because we got paid so much more... but because we couldn't spend as much.

I make no excuse for enjoying life either. The contests on who can live on the least are for the birds. I work to play. 😄

The contests on who can live on the least are for the birds. I work to play. 😄
I can appreciate that...

But just like buying anything else, cows, land, vehicles... it's a skill to get more value than average. Nothing wrong with living on "least" as long as you are getting as much or more out of it than others that are living large.

I make no excuse for enjoying life either. The contests on who can live on the least are for the birds. I work to play. 😄
Same. Had a company dude riding in my truck last week, I asked him if he had any hobbies or stuff he did outside of work. He mumbled through a few weak ones, then asked me the same. After I listed them, he said "Wow, that's a lot, huh?" and I replied with "Yeah, why do you think I do this sh**? If they were free you'd never have met me"

Or, some folks like me pack a cooler before heading. No way I'm paying $1.50 for a bottle of water or a soda.
we pack a cooler too. or thermos of coffee if its a morning adventure.
I pack a cooler every morning along with a lunch.
But your missing the point.
Maybe you've never not had water on a hot day.

Latest posts