Couldn't be at home this weekend so...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
...I decided to take some pics of campus this evening. (Just ignore the snow, it'll go away eventually. ;-) )

DSCF0395.JPG

Athabasca Hall

DSCF0396.JPG

Looking west towards the engineering buildings

DSCF0398.JPG

Proud to be Canadian (west side of Bio building)

DSCF0397.JPG

Construction working on laying ground for the new Chemistry building destined to open in 2010; Bio building & greenhouses in background, Assinobioa Hall on the left

DSCF0399.JPG

Bit of a courtyard on the north side of Biology

DSCF0400.JPG

Diggin up a big hole (can't really see it in this pic though...bad lighting)...I think they're expanding the bio building a bit more, but not really sure.

DSCF0402.JPG

Looking across Quad to Assinobioa and Athabasca Halls

DSCF0401.JPG

Pembina Hall...

DSCF0403.JPG

Building of the Registrar and Chemical Materials Eningeering building (aka Physics) on the left.

The three Halls, they're almost a century old, and there's been known cases of ghosts occuring in these buildings because they were used as a sort of hospital to house folks with the Influenza virus (or something like that...I was told about it but can't remember off the top of my head) that occured after the war (WW1 I believe....some of you can probably help me out here!) and many died from the epidemic.

Anyways, enjoy them.

The sign that points to "Tory" - what is a tory?

If I remember, wasn't there an old political party called the "tories"?

Would they be the same usage of the word?

that occured after the war (WW1 I believe....some of you can probably help me out here!)

I know some of us are older than others, but I don't imagine any of us date back to WW I (the Great War)!! :lol:

jw":269vqha8 said:
that occured after the war (WW1 I believe....some of you can probably help me out here!)

I know some of us are older than others, but I don't imagine any of us date back to WW I (the Great War)!! :lol:

Ask dun, he dates back to the Mayflower. :lol:

cfpinz

cfpinz":2pp1p2fa said:
Ask dun, he dates back to the Mayflower. :lol:

cfpinz

But that's in canuck land. We landed further south then that

dun

jw":1opsuvpk said:
The sign that points to "Tory" - what is a tory?

If I remember, wasn't there an old political party called the "tories"?

Would they be the same usage of the word?

"Tory" is just the name of a building used by the Faculty of Business; named after Henry Marshall Tory, the first President of the U of Alta. Its a big tall building that sticks out like a sore thumb looking across the river valley. THere's also the Turtle, or the Tory Lecture theatre, but I'll show you that some other time.

Yes there was an old political party called that, but now they've called themselves the Conservatives...but they're still called the "Tories" today, for some reason...I don't think they'd be the same usage of the word...

Alice":9gqccp85 said:
How old is this campus/college?

Alice

The university campus will be celebrating it's 100th birthday (or anniversary, which ever you wanna call it) next year. So as of now, it's 99 years old. Waaaay back then, it was just a fraction of what it is now. Where the engineering buildings and some other buildings are today (and a lot of the residential areas IN Edmonton), used to be farmland 99 years ago.

Dusty Britches":18tyj5p5 said:
It was the influenza (flu) virus of 1918 that killed thousands of people worldwide.

Thank you. That sort of explains why Pembina Hall was built when it was (built 1914; Athabasca was built in 1911; and Assinobioa was built in 1912).

Latest posts