Could this spell disaster for us cattle producers?

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
I've been watching this story unfold and I can't help but think when I see whitetail deer off in the distance if this could be catastrophic to my herd as well as others? It's the ability to mutate that has me deeply concerned.

I hope there are some experts that will chime in on this thread and give some reassurances.

http://bit.ly/2DoSBEf

No issue to beef cattle. Governments are not serious about dealing with it yet. If they were, DNR would shorten the hunt season and take off any tag limits. When you have parts of the US like southern Michigan where the deer population is upwards of 300 per square mile, you no longer have healthy populations - just cesspools of disease. I would be far more concerned with the other diseases that deer do transmit to cattle, before CWD.

Aaron said:
No issue to beef cattle. Governments are not serious about dealing with it yet. If they were, DNR would shorten the hunt season and take off any tag limits. When you have parts of the US like southern Michigan where the deer population is upwards of 300 per square mile, you no longer have healthy populations - just cesspools of disease. I would be far more concerned with the other diseases that deer do transmit to cattle, before CWD.

You make an excellent point. When wildlife populations exceed healthy levels, they become a genetic pool for disease agents - parasites and microbes.

Caustic Burno said:
If you going to worry about anything it's hogs! They are already impacting herd health.

I had a dream about 2 weeks ago that I went out one morning and feral hogs were all over the top of my ridge. I guess I have read too many of the posts by you guys in Texas. It was a nightmare. I was glad when I woke up and realized it was only a dream.

I was reading an article a while back that a cattle farmer used hog manure as an ingredient in his cattle feed, not sure how trustworthy the author was. If we did that here we'd be hung drawn and quartered!

Bright Raven said:
Caustic Burno said:
If you going to worry about anything it's hogs! They are already impacting herd health.

I had a dream about 2 weeks ago that I went out one morning and feral hogs were all over the top of my ridge. I guess I have read too many of the posts by you guys in Texas. It was a nightmare. I was glad when I woke up and realized it was only a dream.
From what I understand they are not that far from you they are in Shelby and Henry counties already

Have no idea if this is the result of chronic wasting disease - or something else - but a friend/neighbor shot this about 3 miles south of our ranch. Another friend of his got one west of town but it had significantly larger "cauliflower buds" with velvet. Makes me wonder . . . .

rollinhills said:
Bright Raven said:
Caustic Burno said:

From what I understand they are not that far from you they are in Shelby and Henry counties already

Not good! I would rather have the Black Vultures.

************* said:
I've been watching this story unfold and I can't help but think when I see whitetail deer off in the distance if this could be catastrophic to my herd as well as others? It's the ability to mutate that has me deeply concerned.

I hope there are some experts that will chime in on this thread and give some reassurances.

http://bit.ly/2DoSBEf

Could be a disaster...... everyone should immediately high fence their pastures.

TCRanch said:
Have no idea if this is the result of chronic wasting disease - or something else - but a friend/neighbor shot this about 3 miles south of our ranch. Another friend of his got one west of town but it had significantly larger "cauliflower buds" with velvet. Makes me wonder . . . .

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What the heck???? :???: :???:

I will let you all know here in a few years. I live right in one of the hottest spots in Arkansas for it. My hay comes from a WMA where animals that have tested positive have been killed