Could save someones life

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Ok. I found out this morning that Japenese Hornets are attracted to lights at 5 am I thought I had killed the whole nest but I was wrong. I drove up and parked about 40 yds from the nest and went into a shed came back they were swarming my headlights and I had a head lantern on they swarmed my head i cut it off and proceeded to jump in my truck well the Bas turds got me on my back. I cut my headlights off they left... I cut them back on they came back. I just thought I would share that with you all especially if you know of any nests on your place and may be working at night. :2cents:

M-5":3qieblym said:
That's not uncommon for wasp to come to a head light or yard light. That's why you see so many toad frogs hanging out under the lights. I have never been stung at night though.

Those jap hornets covered my lights so bad it dimmed my lights pretty bad. I never noticed the wasps before I will be watching now.

I have issues this time of the year with red wasp while on the river setting bush hooks. they havent stung me at night but its a little unnerving having 4 or 5 crawling around on your head knowing what they can do.

Nesikep":2zygxo2u said:
if you killed the lights, how do you know they went away?

skyhightree1":2zygxo2u said:
Those jap hornets covered my lights so bad it dimmed my lights pretty bad.

In other words my lights were dim once i got back in the truck when they weren't before... I cut my lights off for a minute or two then back on and they were bright as they were when I drove up.

If you think the light makes them mad try out an open cab dozer pushing a fire line at night. The lights and smoke together makes them real mad. But yes, I have had to shut down the dozer and turn the lights off a few times. I have mowed hay a lot of the night and never seen them though.

Yea I learned a lesson today lol

FM - Your wish is my command :lol2: :lol2: ;-)

ResizedImage_1440642184581_zps7d50da00.jpg

We call them Yellow jackets.. and yep, they're mean b@stards.. I've been stung at least 10 times this year, they're really bad this year too, we must have several BIG nests.

Anyone got any tips for finding the nests that doesn't involve accidentally stumbling over them?

skyhightree1":3vwvvv83 said:

Dam sky what you do. Run out and hunt one down. I'm impressed. :tiphat:

fenceman":14hc6opi said:
skyhightree1":14hc6opi said:

Dam sky what you do. Run out and hunt one down. I'm impressed. :tiphat:

No I kept it after it stung me this morning notice it was dark... I sent pic to wife who is a nurse incase I got sick and took one home with me. I still have a big ol welp on me she put marker on it said if gets bigger I gotta go to hospital

They were dying to see me today :lol: :lol: :lol: I made sure to give them some of my secret specialty drink for them.

These were under a well cap on the farm.. They were sprayed and died on the nest.

IMG_20150829_082643_411_zpsda88cb32.jpg

I killed a ton of these today from inside my truck they came out landed on truck and died.

ResizedImage_1440889281154_zps4ac510cc.jpg

ResizedImage_1440889282029_zps7366723c.jpg

I was really happy to have a cab tractor today. I hit a next of something, hornets/yellojackets/visous looking stingy things and the swarmed the tractor and stayed with it for a 1/4 mile. Then most of them left but a dozen or so stayed with it for another 1/4 mile. I was glad I had a good distance to go before I needed to get out.

dun":22b55zr3 said:
I was really happy to have a cab tractor today. I hit a next of something, hornets/yellojackets/visous looking stingy things and the swarmed the tractor and stayed with it for a 1/4 mile. Then most of them left but a dozen or so stayed with it for another 1/4 mile. I was glad I had a good distance to go before I needed to get out.

Glad you were on a cab today... I like looking out at them but in the back of my head I think what if there's a hole they find there way in. Were you bushhogging?

My wife's been checking calves some for me, as my day job has picked up quite a bit, and she called to say she didn't think the hot wire was working as a calf had his head stuck through it picking. So, I talked her through getting the fault finder to see what was going on. We had just had her first lesson on it a few days ago. We found the problem, and it was a jumper from another fence had gotten torn off/lost. At the end of the bad section is a steel pipe post with a floating brace. The floating brace was FULL of "red waspers" she says. lol We know it's wasps, but my grandparents/old timers all called them waspers, so we continue the practice. Anyhow, I think there is no way it's FULL of wasps. Probably just a nest right there at the gap where it meets the upright post. She can't fix it, because now she's out of wasp spray. I get home and take a half can up there with my jumper wire. She was right. It was FULL of waspers. :lol2: It took a trip to the barn to get the tractor/bushhog, used it to place the running bush hog against the post to shake them out, spraying them down out the back window. Came back later with diesel/remedy until it was empty, went back with a gallon of permethrin fly spray until it was gone, then found the last wasper spray on the farm I guess. I bet there was over 50 wasps in that pipe, coming out both ends before it was over. I am so glad she didn't push the issue when she was there. And to stay on topic, they flew "toward the light" I suppose.

skyhightree1":20m81vbl said:
dun":20m81vbl said:

Glad you were on a cab today... I like looking out at them but in the back of my head I think what if there's a hole they find there way in. Were you bushhogging?
I had just finsihed and was heading to the house to refuel.

50 'waspers' is nothing.. the yellow jacket nests around here have probably about 20,000-100,000.. they're the size of a good beehive and have HUGE underground excavations... Most times you find them by tripping over them... you sure figure that out quick!

Latest posts