Could I survive without a 4 wheel drive?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I'm pretty well fed up with my tractor. It's a 2007 Massey Ferguson. Least dependable thing that has ever been on my place. I literally have the kids follow me with the service trailer when I'm using it. It's the newest tractor I've ever owned, the only 4wd, and the only FEL I've ever had. Sick enough of the thing to drive Just drive it in a and abondon it hole.

I'm a fan of the old iron. I'd prefer a IHC 656, or a Ford 6600. Could I ever go back no 4wd?

Since you have already stated that you cant unroll hay in your pastures because it gets too wet. I don't see how you could put hay out without 4wd unless you fixed a hay station where you don't drive into the pasture.

Sorry you've had all the issues with it. Maybe you can trade it in on something more reliable. I wouldn't want to be without at least one 4wd tractor, especially for feeding in the winter.

I couldn't make it without 4wd during the winter. Just bite the bullet and trade or sell your MF on a new Kubota M5 series tractor. Kubota seems to be good dependable tractor, it's no JD as far as being user friendly but Kubota makes a good tractor.

I'm afraid you guys are right. I have actually looked at some of the feeding stations that the university of Kentucky has built. Thought I might do a couple of them but I'd rather feed on my poorest soils, and try to build them up.

Whats the issdues with the Massey? I made it for years without 4wd, but after having it now, don't think I could go back to the aggravation.
Btw, selling my 656 was a mistake. Wish I still had her..sentimental I guess.

I should of added that a 2wd tractor is alright without a loader, but adding a loader and a bale of hay a 2wd tractor is pretty much useless in the mud.

bball":16sysc0f said:
Whats the issdues with the Massey? I made it for years without 4wd, but after having it now, don't think I could go back to the aggravation.
Btw, selling my 656 was a mistake. Wish I still had her..sentimental I guess.

It is constant and never ending. Dry clutch, and I use the loader nearly every time it's ran. Not a big deal, other than this one fails about every 400 hours. Leaks hydraulic fluid like a sain from every single fitting (except the fel). Knocked a whole in the oil pan about a year ago. The old man was driving it, but he didn't remember hitting anything. I buy fuel filters 5 at a time (probably not the tractors fault, but I run the same fuel in everything). The hydraulics connectors are perfectly in line with the top link. If you don't push whatever implement your using purposefully over to the left, the top link will break the connectors. Tearing down the sheet metal to get to anything, is such a PIA, that I have considered running it without, plus your disassembling it every time you use it. There is more, but that's a good start.

True Grit Farms":1wz2d70u said:
I should of added that a 2wd tractor is alright without a loader, but adding a loader and a bale of hay a 2wd tractor is pretty much useless in the mud.

I wonder if you filled a barrel partially full of concrete, and could hook it to the 3 point hitch, if it would offset that? I've seen it done. A hay man here has one set up like that.

Bigfoot":2pyqu3pz said:
True Grit Farms":2pyqu3pz said:

I wonder if you filled a barrel partially full of concrete, and could hook it to the 3 point hitch, if it would offset that? I've seen it done. A hay man here has one set up like that.

It works great on hard ground for traction, but in mud the front end of a 2wd tractor just sinks to the spindles if you have weight up front.

Bigfoot":3i62z2f4 said:
True Grit Farms":3i62z2f4 said:

Done it..it works

I've been feeding hay in the worst mud you can imagine for the past 18 years, with a 2wd. Do use the loader to feed hay, use a 3 point bale fork. You'll make it.

trade your tractor off for another 4x4.the M5s are nice but new they cost $63,600.i just traded a 2013 7040su 4x4 fel rops hydro for a 2012 case 110a cab 4x4 hydro fel.

bigbull338":3jr27f1q said:
trade your tractor off for another 4x4.the M5s are nice but new they cost $63,600.i just traded a 2013 7040su 4x4 fel rops hydro for a 2012 case 110a cab 4x4 hydro fel.
I can't spend what a new cab tractor cost.

Bigfoot":1v6tqemv said:
bigbull338":1v6tqemv said:
that case 110a listed for $43.900.he gave me $23.500 for the 7040.so i gave $19,000 for the tractor.i liked 1yr on mine paying it off.so my new note is $24,000 for 4yrs

bigbull338":3hj6nij3 said:
Bigfoot":3hj6nij3 said:
bigbull338":3hj6nij3 said:
that case 110a listed for $43.900.he gave me $23.500 for the 7040.so i gave $19,000 for the tractor.i liked 1yr on mine paying it off.so my new note is $24,000 for 4yrs

Not bad actually.

Bigfoot":ohokmim4 said:
I'm afraid you guys are right. I have actually looked at some of the feeding stations that the university of Kentucky has built. Thought I might do a couple of them but I'd rather feed on my poorest soils, and try to build them up.
Have you priced the cost of building one? I did several years ago and decided to stick with bale rings and a waste area.

I've been driving a tractor for over 50 years.Only driven three in all that time that had 4Wd.They belonged to someone else.I've seen a few times I would have liked to have one but fewer when I needed one.

We have a 4wd tractor, old County.. it's only job is scraping manure and plowing snow.. occasionally some subsoiling. Ranch across the river just got their first 4wd tractor and they've been feeding cows rounds for decades.

Getting a bigger 2wd tractor (90+ hp), optionally putting radial tires on it, and FAT front tires, carry the weight in the back, and you can do a lot with them still... They will be less forgiving to out right mud bogs, and worn tires of course

Latest posts