coughing calf

Help Support CattleToday:

vafarmgal

Reaction score
I have this heifer calf about 3 weeks and she has been coughing alot, its like a dry cough. And her breath stinks badly. When she sucks her bottle, she has to stop to cough and also she has to stop to swollow. Any ideas?

Also, have another heifer calf 3 weeks old with a big knot on her jaw, its hard and looks like she is sucking on a jaw breaker, will this go away over time? It dont seem to bother her, she's one of our "spunky" calves.

Coughing while bottle feeding is not all that uncommon. But if she does it all the time, check her temps, and see if she may be in need of some treatment. If you have doubts , always err on the safe side and treat, It is not uncommon for calves to get inhalation or asperation pnuemonia from inhaling milk replacer.
As for the bad breath....I can't advise on that. Maybe some listerine? Kills 99.9 % of bad breath germs on contact? Just kidding.

As for the calf with the swelling. you can find out easily enuff if you are dealing with a birth defect an injury or another problem such as an infection... manipulate the area, if it is soft like and you can push your fingers into it. it is likely an infection, and you may chose to drain it, to be sure insert a large bore needle and try drawing some fluid out, if puss or watery blood comes out , drain and treat with penicillen, inject the penicillen around the injury after you have fushed it, and lastly your last flush should be a bit of penicillen inside of the cavity you just left.
If it is hard, you can still try needle withdraw to see what you have in there. and treat accourdingly.
If it is in an area around the teeth, check inside the mouth for swelling and puss area, it may have an object stuck inside the gum or teeth area as well.
I recently saw a calf that was born with a defective mouth, likely due to a broken jaw when it was born, and she is now 3 years old, but looks like a lumpy jaw.

Hope this helps....good luck! :cboy:

not sure if she is old enough, but it could be lung worms. does she also cough if she runs? if so it would be my guess. one with the lump on jaw is usually an infected tooth which will dissapear in a week or two. seen quite a few of those when i had the dairy

Thanks!

The coughing calf---she coughs just about all the time. She has her tounge stuck out half of the time. And her breathing is pretty fast. She seems to do better when we dr her with Tylan. We have had to tube her several times. And she will suck her bottle better when it is down low and her neck is stretched out, she dont seem to cough as bad.

The knot jaw calf--- it isnt soft and mushy, its really hard and she got a couple of weeks ago and it got bigger, but now its stayed the same size for a week. I'll check her teeth, I bet thats what it is.

Thanks medic and jerry for all your advise.

Jen

forgot to mention that when we have tubed the coughing calf, the tube smells like her breath, could this be some kind of infection?

Call your vet. Agree with Jerry about the respiratory infection. You want to treat quickly and aggresively, as it can be deadly.

We give any cattle showing signs of respiratory illnesses a shot of Nuflor. Good stuff.

Take care.

Sounds like pnuemonia for sure........ Nuflor is the way to go.

Just so you don't faint at the price of it compared to other older and less expensive meds we sat down not long ago with a calculater and figured out that with the ongoing treatment you are forced to do with the La200 and other simular products vs. Nuflor one or two shots, and take into account time, labor,etc. Nuflor was a real bargain in the end.

We currently pay about 67.00 for 100 ml of nuflor plus shipping.

Latest posts