Coughing and heavy breathing - What next ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcollins

Reaction score
I have a hereford steer 650lbs. He has been coughing and has heavy breathing. Give him a weeks worth of LA200 and b complex. Still breathing heavy and coughs alot when he is eating. The weather out here in Idaho is 100 degrees so I was a little surpised to see this. I did buy him from the sale yard but that was over two months ago. Appreciate any advise on what to do next?????

My sugestion would be to put a thermometer in him, if over 102 use a good broad spectrum antibiotic, something like Draxxin, Nuflor, Baytril, A180, Micotil, one of those . LA200 won't get it. He's probably one that a feedlot had touble with and was sent to the sale. I would give him 2 rounds of a MLV vaccine, in hopes of improving his immune response.

Larry

Hot, dry... and dusty?

Only coughing and heavy breathing when he eats?

Temperature is?

...could be something, could be nothing. Is he out on pasture or a dirt lot?

He is in a pen. Dry lot and it is currently very hot 100. Most of this coughing comes after or during feeding. Can get to be point were his tongue is hanging out from the coughing. The hay does have some dust in it but the other steer that is in with him doesn't have a problem with it. I haven't had time to get his temperature yet.

Latest posts