Cough?

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
Ok, I finally was able to find some weaned calves at the auction house about a week ago. Will post pics soon hopefully to get some input on how I did, since it was my first time.
Background: I only bought calves at the auction that had been weaned and vaccinated. I bought 11 total and they averaged 595#. Three different sellers. A set of 3 probably hadn't been weaned as long as the others, as they still bawled occassionaly for a couple of days, but then settled in fine. They are out in a pasture (grass) and I give them a little feed (ground cob corn w/salt & mineral) in the evening part supplement and part training to get them into the corrals.
Question: The three that still bawled a bit for the first couple of days, I heard an occassional cough. My husband said, probably a bit sore throat from the weaning process. I sit and watch them on occassion and I hear an occasional cough (maybe 1 an hour) I don't think it is ever the same one consecutively. Now, when I feed the grain, I hear more of the occasional cough, again they seem to be taking turns. Am I being overly paranoid? And could this cough be just a feed/eating thing? All look very healthy, except I noticed a bit of the loose stool, which I am attributing to the pasture they are in, and if they were in the weaning process they were probably penned and on hay. None of the looseness I am concerned about at this time. Only the cough. By looks they all look happy and healthy.

In the past when we had hereford cows we would sprinkle some 4g crumbles onto the corn silage piles. Usually a precautionary measure each fall. We had a closed herd up until a couple of years ago, and now I am wondering if I am being overly cautious..... Thanks in advance for any input!

Your are not being paranoid any time you buy calves at a salebarn if there not backgrounded they are stressed and suseptable to disease.like shipping fever & pnuemonia. i would definitly vacinate & maybe even quarantine from the others you dont want the whole bunch infected.when i use to buy roping calves i was always battleing this.forget the auramiacin as for as a cure you will need a hard hitter if it is SF like micotil or nuflor

When I bring some home from the auction I hit them with la200 right off the trailer. If they don't need it it wont hurt them. By doing this I usually get anything before it gets to the point of needing something stronger. I keep them in the barn for 3 days, then if n o problems I turn them into a small lot for 3 -4 weeks before joing the rest of the herd.

watch the ears and make sure they are standing upright(on most cows..lol) and no watery eyes ect..

Something else you need to be aware of is dust pneumonia. A calf that is sale-barn weaned will pace/run back and forth trying to get his/her mother, stir up a lot of dust, inhale that dust and it causes dust pneumonia. I would water the corral for a few days til they settle down and get used to being away from their mom.

Mitchwi - by your post, you purchased vaccinated calves and they are on grass - so they shouldn't be having a dust problem.
Even vaccinated calves can easily pick up illnesses at the sale barn, so you are correct in wathing them closely. An occasional caugh is not a problem, and yes, bawling & eating can get them to caugh occasionally.
Watch for nasal & eye discharge & droopy ears (when they don't know your watching - becasue even the sickest calf will perk up their ears at something). Biggest thing - watch for them not eating. Vaccinated calves can get a bug and fight it off pretty well on their own, but if they aren't eating good & or have droopy ears, they are running a fever, and you should intervene with treatment.
Good luck. Sounds like you're doing right to me.

Thanks everyone, it has been 2 weeks since the purchase, I will watch extra close this weekend, and decide by Sunday whether to run them thru to give 'em a shot!

msscamp":ww9kmvtn said:
Something else you need to be aware of is dust pneumonia. A calf that is sale-barn weaned will pace/run back and forth trying to get his/her mother, stir up a lot of dust, inhale that dust and it causes dust pneumonia. I would water the corral for a few days til they settle down and get used to being away from their mom.

Thats right. Also watch keeping animals penned beside a road. My little brother one time had a show pig that got dust pneumonia. Cotton module truck screaming buy kicking up dust.

Scotty

just because they are weaned doesnt mean they are used to eating feed. plus if they are eating in a hurry or if the feed is dusty this could cause them to cough at feeding time. the loose stools are probably due to the feed change, and not so much the pasture unless its really lush. minerals might give them some squirts too. i would keep an eye for other syptoms like the others have suggested. if you area is dry and dusty like it is here, coughing from time to time is to be expected.

Latest posts