Cougar Killed a Woman in Oregon.

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
http://www.kezi.com/content/news/Missin ... 90611.html

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office says a dead hiker was likely killed by a cougar, marking the first verified fatal attack by a wild cougar in Oregon.

A medical examiner said Tuesday 55-year-old Diana Bober's body had injuries consistent with an attack by a cougar.

DNA samples are being flown by the Oregon State Police to a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service laboratory in Ashland for further analysis.

Bober's body was found Monday in the Mount Hood National Forest in Welches, about 40 miles southeast of Portland.

She was reported missing Sept. 7. Her car was later found at the Zigzag Ranger Station several miles away.

Bober, of Gresham, was an avid hiker who often trekked in the Mount Hood and Columbia River Gorge areas.

I hate this. Tragic and unnecessary. But why do people refuse to heed warnings and take necessary precautions? I don't live on the west coast. And I don't hike. But I know you shouldn't hike alone. Especially a woman. Women are targets for more types of predators than their male counterparts. Sad result.

JMJ Farms":1jbj27wo said:
I hate this. Tragic and unnecessary. But why do people refuse to heed warnings and take necessary precautions? I don't live on the west coast. And I don't hike. But I know you shouldn't hike alone. Especially a woman. Women are targets for more types of predators than their male counterparts. Sad result.

A friend of mine's mother was murdered hiking alone. It doesn't make sense why people do it.

The fatal cougar attacks this year in both Washington and Oregon might have something to do with the city people passing laws outlawing hound hunting for cougars. The cougar population has absolutely exploded over the last 15 or so years. The Oregon Dept of Wildlife said yesterday that there are about 5,000 cougars in the state. That is over triple what it was a few years ago.

Way more hikers are killed from falls than animals of any type. I've come upon the scene of a recent elk kill by a cougar; had a grizz follow me back down the trail in Glacier 3 yrs ago; got seriously sick and got helicoptered out 20 mi from the trailhead; slid straight down the mountain on a thin skim of snow and almost bought it. (Yeah I'm a klutz). In none of these instances was I solo. But yeah, you have a narrower margin of error solo.
I'm glad most people never leave their couches. You get a mile in and the people hiking in flip flops and tennies peter out, and you have the wilderness to yourself. (Plus a few critters). Have hiked many hundreds of km and seen places I wish everyone could see, for even a minute. Truly humbling.

boondocks":kkhguemn said:
Way more hikers are killed from falls than animals of any type. I've come upon the scene of a recent elk kill by a cougar; had a grizz follow me back down the trail in Glacier 3 yrs ago; got seriously sick and got helicoptered out 20 mi from the trailhead; slid straight down the mountain on a thin skim of snow and almost bought it. (Yeah I'm a klutz). In none of these instances was I solo. But yeah, you have a narrower margin of error solo.
I'm glad most people never leave their couches. You get a mile in and the people hiking in flip flops and tennies peter out, and you have the wilderness to yourself. (Plus a few critters). Have hiked many hundreds of km and seen places I wish everyone could see, for even a minute. Truly humbling.
I agree but the heck with walking when you can fly, I charter a plane or helicopter everywhere we go just so I can see the land. And by the way flying around MT Rainier is second only to landing on a lake in Alaska so my son could take a leak of the pontoon with a momma grizzly and two cubs feeding on the shoreline. This is a beautiful country.

True Grit Farms":3081twnc said:
boondocks":3081twnc said:
I agree but the heck with walking when you can fly, I charter a plane or helicopter everywhere we go just so I can see the land. And by the way flying around MT Rainier is second only to landing on a lake in Alaska so my son could take a leak of the pontoon with a momma grizzly and two cubs feeding on the shoreline. This is a beautiful country.

I had some friends who were flying by Mt Rainier and decided to take a closer look. That was a fatal decision. I have flown with a bunch of Alaskan bush pilots. A couple of those I flew with put a plane into the side of a mountain, flipped while landing on a lake, etc and are no longer with us. Life is dangerous.

Stocker Steve":3lkb6f4q said:
greybeard":3lkb6f4q said:

Another reason to avoid Russia.

A few years back there was a young gal working for US Geological Survey in Alaska. She was eaten alive by a black bear. She radioed for help and was pleading her case as the bear was eating her.
Having worked in Alaska in big bear country I ain't packing no Glock 40. When able to I packed a little Sako 375 H&H or a 12 ga. When work didn't allow for packing a long gun I had a S&W Model 29 which is 44 mag with hand loads loaded as hot as we could make them...... and I felt under gunned.

Dave":3v8a24bz said:
Stocker Steve":3v8a24bz said:
greybeard":3v8a24bz said:

A few years back there was a young gal working for US Geological Survey in Alaska. She was eaten alive by a black bear. She radioed for help and was pleading her case as the bear was eating her.
Having worked in Alaska in big bear country I ain't packing no Glock 40. When able to I packed a little Sako 375 H&H or a 12 ga. When work didn't allow for packing a long gun I had a S&W Model 29 which is 44 mag with hand loads loaded as hot as we could make them...... and I felt under gunned.
You have a lot of firepower in a Glock 40 with a 16 round capacity. Myself I'd choose a G 40 Glock its 10 mm Auto, but I know JMJ likes his 40 cal Glock.

True Grit Farms":1rxpkg4s said:
Dave":1rxpkg4s said:
Stocker Steve":1rxpkg4s said:

You have a lot of firepower in a Glock 40 with a 16 round capacity. Myself I'd choose a G 40 Glock its 10 mm Auto, but I know JMJ likes his 40 cal Glock.

Would rather shoot one of my Glock 21 45s. But they are so dang big to carry. If I was in bear country I think I'd take both 21s, my 40 and my 1911. And possibly my beretta 9mm and ruger 380 (as GB said, for me if the rest didn't get rid of the bears) :bang:

JMJ Farms":1c9zexhw said:
True Grit Farms":1c9zexhw said:
Dave":1c9zexhw said:

Would rather shoot one of my Glock 21 45s. But they are so dang big to carry. If I was in bear country I think I'd take both 21s, my 40 and my 1911. And possibly my beretta 9mm and ruger 380 (as GB said, for me if the rest didn't get rid of the bears) :bang:

Having worked in big bear country and had a couple run ins with bears. I don't want a pistol of any kind if it comes time to shoot or get ate. I consider a 375 H&H the smallest thing I want. And I know a number of Alaskan big game guides. They don't pack pistols.

Bestoutwest":28gpj9a5 said:
greybeard":28gpj9a5 said:

Allegedly, this is a recording of a bear attack. Different people, but not very pleasant. I can think of better ways to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXN2XPMjoY

That clip was faked.

The documentary of that guy is interesting, even though the guy was a nut case. One of the family members mentioned that the real tape has never, and will never be released.

Dave":3g6u6oyg said:
JMJ Farms":3g6u6oyg said:
True Grit Farms":3g6u6oyg said:

Having worked in big bear country and had a couple run ins with bears. I don't want a pistol of any kind if it comes time to shoot or get ate. I consider a 375 H&H the smallest thing I want. And I know a number of Alaskan big game guides. They don't pack pistols.
I agree with you Dave, I think I'd like a 12 ga shotgun with a slug followed by buckshot if I had a choice.

Latest posts