• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cotton Seed?

BK9954

Reaction score
Reading cotton seed is around 24% protien. Going for .19 a pound from the gin which is $380 a ton. How is this cost effective? Was it cheaper years before? At this price its cheaper to buy cubes.

callmefence

Reaction score
Waterloo gin in Taylor is 230.00 per ton
They are currently out but still have a lot of cotton to gin. As soon as it dries out it will be available again.
Almost half the price of good cubes.
Twice the quality of feed.

BK9954

Reaction score
With the price here is not cost-effective I'm getting 20% breeders Cubes at 7.25 a bag which comes to 14.5 cents a pound.

TexasBred

Reaction score
BK9954":1ondhsih said:
With the price here is not cost-effective I'm getting 20% breeders Cubes at 7.25 a bag which comes to 14.5 cents a pound.
BK whole cottonseed also contain about 23-24% crude fat putting the energy level through the roof. It also contains considerable fiber from the hull. Given the choice between the two I will always choose WCS even if they cost more.

BK9954

Reaction score
TexasBred":lnwhzpvi said:
BK9954":lnwhzpvi said:
BK whole cottonseed also contain about 23-24% crude fat putting the energy level through the roof. It also contains considerable fiber from the hull. Given the choice between the two I will always choose WCS even if they cost more.
So,mixing cotton seed, a little cracked corn and molassas would be better then breeders cubes?

BK9954

Reaction score
I know some of my buddies around town do this. Especially the guys running registered stock.

callmefence

Reaction score
Just the cottonseed. You don't need to mix anything.
We've feed cubes or cake my whole life.
I can see the difference in wcs and the cattle eat less hay, instead of more.
If it's not muddy you can feed right in the pasture no troughs

BK9954

Reaction score
My brother couldn't get his charolais cows eat cotton seed without mixing creep feed with it.

TexasBred

Reaction score
BK9954":zuojq4sv said:
My brother couldn't get his charolais cows eat cotton seed without mixing creep feed with it.

As "Fence" said, adding cubes or any kind of feed for a little while helps. Doesn't take much and you don't have to do it long. Just something to help them make the adjustment.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
TexasBred":1gidhlp3 said:
BK9954":1gidhlp3 said:
TB is right I am going CSM versus WCS.
My favorite supplement for bad hay is
2-1-1 or 2-1 have it blended 14 to 27% protein depending on conditions

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I add corn to the wcs and the cows love it. I mix 1000 lbs corn, 1000 lbs wcs, 50 lbs of mineral, and 25 lbs of sodium bicarbonate per ton. Makes great feed and will put a shine on your cattle.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
City Guy":2eh7flxz said:
Ok, my ignorace is showing again. What is "gossypol"?

It is a chemical/enzyme in the cottonseed, associated with causing fertility issues in bulls, as well as other possible issues in cattle.

5S Cattle

Reaction score

Latest posts