Cotton Seed Meal/ Growing Replacements

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2pnnbvv4 said:
TexasBred":2pnnbvv4 said:
Well he has no grazing..so it's either supplement in one form or the other or sell everything off. Even if he plans to sell them you get a 2:1 return on your feed cost.
That's what hay was invented for!
Can't question that. Hay that has been tested and has some feed value or you may still need to supplement a bit with some added protein.

Should be a little less expensive this year judging by what I've heard and what I've seen cut. Many already got 2 cuttings and then the farmers will bale a huge amount of maize stalks after harvest.

Well it seems we are missing a lot of the problem with supplementing. The biggest thing is the growth stage of the grass you are on. If it is growing and in good shape then usually you will not need to supplement them. If is has stopped growing and is in the Fall stage of semi-dorament and waiting to go into the winter stage, a lot of the protein value is lost and it is mostly filler, this is when you need to supplement. In this case I would give them 1 to 1 1/2 pound of the 38% cotton seed pellet's. It can be gotten in size from around 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch sizes. It can be fed in troughs or if there is enough grass to keep it off the ground it can be trailed across the pasture. There is always hogs at the trough, the only way you can totally control the exact amount they get is to feed them all separatly. Not profitable. When grass is past growing stage, some supplement is almost necessary if they are to grow off good.

Latest posts