cotton farm

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
i looked at a place that was once a cotton farm and was put back in grass.
it still has a cotton base so the upland cotton direct payment is around 2400.00 so i'm told.
now i'm not a cotton farmer so this is all new to me and i'm not sure how all this works but i'm told that if i buy this place i'll be paid the 2400.00
doesn't make sense to me as why they are paying 2400.00 just because it has a cotton base.
without going any farther.
what are your thoughts ?

Down here the rice farmers get paid not to farm rice.. its called dcp payments here.. might be the same thing different crop..I was told that's all coming to an end this year ..

JSCATTLE"[color=#FF0000:jxq2v287 said:
]Down here the rice farmers get paid not to farm rice.. its called dcp payments [/color]here.. might be the same thing different crop..I was told that's all coming to an end this year ..

DCP payments are not linked to "not planting a crop". DCP payments are so small there is no way you could take a DCP payment to not plant a crop.

I would gladly take a cut in payments if they would de-fund USDA by the same percentage.

Larry

Larry I know several people that make as much on dcp payments as they do on there day jobs .. I'm not sure how much rice u guys have in Ohio ...but some of the rice farmers here get paid not to raise a crop .. to keep from flooding the market ...

JSCATTLE":15ssqbty said:
Larry I know several people that make as much on dcp payments as they do on there day jobs .. I'm not sure how much rice u guys have in Ohio ...but some of the rice farmers here get paid not to raise a crop .. to keep from flooding the market ...

:lol2: you're right not much rice in Ohio :lol2: . Being a federal program I just assume DCP is applied to rice the same as other grains, If I'm wrong I apologize.

Larry

No big deal it takes thousands of acres and its no where as much money as they would make farming .. but they make some money and can still run cattle on the landto make a profit ...

he is getting paid a small amount not to grow cotton.an he gets to retain his cotton base.now if you dont want the yearly payment.you can take it out of the program an not get paid.we still keep or wheat base even though we no longer grow wheat.

i spoke with the fsa office and that is correct for past years, but they said not to plan on that due to changes in the new farm bill.

Latest posts