cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

When I finally get all my info together and get started I will be using my cows in house for a restaurant operation. What is the general cost per cow for slaughter? They will be feeder cattle and I plan on keeping them as close to the 540 mark as possible for better marble in the beef. It will be a small herd (about 20).

What is the best way to purchase when getting started? Should I buy heifers already bred with a calf on their side? What is the going rate for a good line of Angus?

I will most likely do AI and lease a clean up bull because I don't have the room to keep a bull seperated year round. As it is I will probably have to lease some pasture for weaning. What is the average cost per acre in the south east area (SC)?

You have ALL been so Very Helpful with your postings!!
Thank You!!

Our local meat processor (Not USDA Certified) which processes various meats for people's own consumption charges $25 for the kill and .39 cents a pound (hanging weight) for processing. They cut & trim to your specifications and double wrap vacuum pack your beef.

They figure about 55 to 65% of live weight for hanging weight. Then less weight obviously for the packaged cuts (discarded bones, organ meat).

Our last beef we had processed was about a 675 lb animal that "packaged" out about 250 lbs for us. Everything from ribeyes to ground beef overall averaged about $2.75 a lb including our cost to raise the bull calf.

I am confused, is he going to raise his own cattle for slaughter for his restaurant? Shouldn't that meat be federally inspected? Is this going to be cost efficient.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

IMHO

:???:

cherokeeruby":1l2p99dg said:
I am confused, is he going to raise his own cattle for slaughter for his restaurant? Shouldn't that meat be federally inspected? Is this going to be cost efficient.

IMHO

Yes you are right. It has to be federally inspected.
How much more would it cost for slaughter at a USDA approved site?

The place that we get our cattle processed is inspected. $15 kill and $0.33 / Lbs hang wt. Some people will pay extra for the custom raised beef where as some will be turned off by it.

cherokeeruby":2r7qzjyn said:

IMHO

Just got a steer back from getting cut up at a usda inspected site they charged 30 for the kill .40 for the rest based of the hanging #

Latest posts