Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43":2gkydmln said:
What items did you figure for cost..? I believe you are accurate with the cost.

Every penny that went into their upkeep, taxes, meds, hay, fuel etc.
I have been tracking cost per day for decades. Gotta know if you got paying or welfare cows.

TennesseeTuxedo":1v0dqox7 said:
Damm your taxes must be low.

Twenty bucks an acre.
That's school, county, and the joke emergency district.
The two acres with barns, shop and house run it up otherwise it is about 5 dollars an acre for Agg.

Bright Raven":2zjrin4k said:
Did you include cost of labor?

Yep I am tighter than a crabs butt and that's waterproof.
Cost were actually down a little this year compared to last, thank goodness.
So were cow prices.
I contributed the lower cost to our extremely mild winter last year along with lower fuel and fertilizer prices.

Caustic Burno":1yu4r5l8 said:
Bright Raven":1yu4r5l8 said:
Did you include cost of labor?

Yep I am tighter than a crabs butt and that's waterproof.
Cost were actually down a little this year compared to last, thank goodness.
So were cow prices.
I contributed the lower cost to our extremely mild winter last year along with lower fuel and fertilizer prices.

Thank you.

I figured the break even price based on my sales at 1.70 .
That number could get crazy high quick.
Lot factors in there depending on debt load operating cost, pricing in your area.

I honestly don't see how it's possible to make money with cattle. Between land, truck, tractor, taxes and insurance payments, a smaller operation can't do it. I have enough problems getting the cows to pay for themselves, the deer and a new tractor.
Sometimes I think I'd be better off doing nothing, but I tried that, and it's no fun.

True Grit Farms":22v6r18x said:
I honestly don't see how it's possible to make money with cattle. Between land, truck, tractor, taxes and insurance payments, a smaller operation can't do it. I have enough problems getting the cows to pay for themselves, the deer and a new tractor.
Sometimes I think I'd be better off doing nothing, but I tried that, and it's no fun.

The only I can see is debt free.
My new tractor is 07 Model followed by a 77 Model sold the 67 like an idiot.

I haven't figured mine, but I will eventually. I'm not through spending money for the year yet. Your numbers usually mirror mine pretty closely. I have slipped below a dollar a time or two. Some Mohican will post on this thread, that they can keep a cow for a year, with 4 rolls of hay and a bag of mineral. I guess it's all in the management. :shock:

Caustic Burno":1sq7r3b4 said:
Lot factors in there depending on debt load operating cost, pricing in your area.
with a herd of longhorns you could cut that cost in half..

ALACOWMAN":10uma4yi said:
Caustic Burno":10uma4yi said:

But the sale price would go down 80%.

Caustic Burno":21uf4y21 said:
ALACOWMAN":21uf4y21 said:
Caustic Burno":21uf4y21 said:

But the sale price would go down 80%.

Yeah but consider your savings on income taxes. ;-)

Thanks to everyone that shared their costs. One question I have is how do you figure the price of equipment? Just depreciate it over 5 or 10 years? And then after that just use the cost of repairs and maintenance?

Just get a job in town and pay for the equipment out of it. Keeps the cost of running the cattle down since it doesnt need to come out of that pot.

:lol:

Latest posts