Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

Ive finished 2017 books and have everything ready for the tax man. when just looking at the P&L I made about 10% profit . Because of the size of my operation its not really much money. I could make that money doing a number of things on the side. I have spent a considerable amount of time pondering the available options and I just cant not see me being happier with less to do and less to worry about. Life is about finding Love, comfort, joy and peace within yourself its not about who has the most . One day we all face reality and all men will be equal again at death.

M-5":1066y0on said:
Ive finished 2017 books and have everything ready for the tax man. when just looking at the P&L I made about 10% profit . Because of the size of my operation its not really much money.

Focusing on profit is much better than focusing on costs. But, profiting 10% of a small number does not give you a lot of cash for upgrades or expansion...

Sounds like you are enjoying the effort. That is another key.

The other item is are you seeing an increase in net worth? We are seeing some real depreciation in items like equipment, and flat valuations in land, so we have to bootstrap improvements to see a significant increase in net worth.

Stocker Steve":3hlgtt1q said:
M-5":3hlgtt1q said:
Ive finished 2017 books and have everything ready for the tax man. when just looking at the P&L I made about 10% profit . Because of the size of my operation its not really much money.

Focusing on profit is much better than focusing on costs. But, profiting 10% of a small number does not give you a lot of cash for upgrades or expansion...

Sounds like you are enjoying the effort. That is another key.

The other item is are you seeing an increase in net worth? We are seeing some real depreciation in items like equipment, and flat valuations in land, so we have to bootstrap improvements to see a significant increase in net worth.

steve , That's with some upgrades invested . I turn a majority of profits back into the operation . This was actual p&l . gross profit is a pretty good on it. Right or wrong I try to spend what I make on it and put it back in. at the end of the day its no different that saying I made 50% profit and used 40% in upgrades and took home 10% . Ive been doing p&L in business for 30 yrs and that's why I do it this way.

M-5":3rdinvki said:
Ive finished 2017 books and have everything ready for the tax man. when just looking at the P&L I made about 10% profit . Because of the size of my operation its not really much money. I could make that money doing a number of things on the side. I have spent a considerable amount of time pondering the available options and I just cant not see me being happier with less to do and less to worry about. Life is about finding Love, comfort, joy and peace within yourself its not about who has the most . One day we all face reality and all men will be equal again at death.

Mine is not a lot of money either.
They are not welfare and pay their way.

Caustic Burno":2j8eb3vo said:
M-5":2j8eb3vo said:

Mine is not a lot of money either.
They are not welfare and pay their way.

And mine did not require a single trip to the ascs office to get some government cheese

M-5":1vvy7kis said:
I imagine Steve Jobs would agree 100 %...

True Grit Farms":1yqqd6f4 said:
Caustic Burno":1yqqd6f4 said:
callmefence":1yqqd6f4 said:
Bingo..
Being rich doesn't have to be about money. :tiphat:

Money doesn't buy happiness but the lack of it does buy misery.
You must not do any community services. I'm absolutely amazed how happy most folks seem to be that have very little in our community.

Grit if you really believe that give all of yours away and find out how happy you can really be.

Caustic Burno":10zm3lpe said:
True Grit Farms":10zm3lpe said:
Caustic Burno":10zm3lpe said:
Money doesn't buy happiness but the lack of it does buy misery.
You must not do any community services. I'm absolutely amazed how happy most folks seem to be that have very little in our community.

Grit if you really believe that give all of yours away and find out how happy you can really be.
CB, I'm not going to live like that, I'm just telling you what I see on a regular basis. I runaway from everyone for a week or so just to realize how good I have it sometimes.

True Grit Farms":3s5t2ma6 said:
Caustic Burno":3s5t2ma6 said:
True Grit Farms":3s5t2ma6 said:

CB, I'm not going to live like that, I'm just telling you what I see on a regular basis. I runaway from everyone for a week or so just to realize how good I have it sometimes.
Nothing wrong with that. Nothing more enjoyable than "Giving" especially if you can do it inconspicuously and then just watch the enjoyment of those that benefit. Just do it when you want to and not when someone else pushes you. As for net worth. Nothing but a figure that is accurate for maybe one day or can actually disappear in a heartbeat so don't put a lot of emphasis on it.

I sold my cows a few months ago. Gave my horse away and sold all the equipment. After running the numbers for a couple years I realized it's a losing battle. I flounder fished for 16 days in a row during November. And I've only filled my truck up 1 time in the last 3 weeks. I guess I'll mow my yard every 3 days this summer like my neighbor since I don't have anything to take care of...

JSCATTLE":skh2e1c6 said:
I sold my cows a few months ago. Gave my horse away and sold all the equipment. After running the numbers for a couple years I realized it's a losing battle. I flounder fished for 16 days in a row during November. And I've only filled my truck up 1 time in the last 3 weeks. I guess I'll mow my yard every 3 days this summer like my neighbor since I don't have anything to take care of...

Just had to rub in the fishing

if i wasn't busy doing stuff all the time i'd just become a drunk.

Caustic Burno":2fk9wgcz said:
JSCATTLE":2fk9wgcz said:

I moved down to the marsh. Closer to work and the wife family. I'm 5 min from 3 boat ramps on Sabine lake. When I get on the trout this summer I'll let you know. Maybe you can come down and we can catch a few .

JSCATTLE":1heow4gy said:
Caustic Burno":1heow4gy said:
JSCATTLE":1heow4gy said:

I moved down to the marsh. Closer to work and the wife family. I'm 5 min from 3 boat ramps on Sabine lake. When I get on the trout this summer I'll let you know. Maybe you can come down and we can catch a few .

I would love too.
You bet I will hook the Mako up and make a bee line.

Latest posts