Cost of raising a calf to wean

Help Support CattleToday:

kleiny72

Reaction score
I am curious what the cost to raise a Holstein calf to wean age is.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

A bag of good milk replacer is $53 here. It is not hard to feed bag before weaning. Then medicine if he needs it. Probably $75 is what it costs me.

I would have to say at least $100 to 8-10 weeks, if you figure milk replacer and starter type feed. Not counting any medicine, plus any shavings, straw or whatever for bedding. AND YOUR TIME.....which most of us don't count since we would quit while we were ahead. Holsteins require more concentrates, ie; grain , than maybe a beef breed as they will get potbellied on hay more easily, and they will be growing more frame before they put on "meat" so to speak. Are you wanting to raise one for a learning experience maybe for your kids? If you are thinking of raising one for the freezer, right now they are bringing about $.60 to $.75 a pound, or less; you would be better off buying a 6-700 lb. one that could go out on grass in the spring. Or invest in a beef breed steer that will finish out quicker and with more meat than a holstein. Prices for our beef feeder steers has hit a real low and they can be bought for $1.00 a lb. alot of places. I have raised alot of dairy calves and would not even think about taking on the work and cost with how low the prices have gotten. Couldn't make it pencil out. And they don't sell as well in the fall winter as they do in the spring, and you will need to feed them good so that they will grow and not just hold their own. You will have about the same or more in the calf, not counting your time, as he would be worth at weaning of 200-250 lbs.

Latest posts