Cost of keeping a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90":1n94ni34 said:
Sterling Marketing president John Nalivka projects cash profit margins for cow-calf producers in 2017 will average $78 per cow. That would be $99 per head less than the estimated average profit of $177 for 2016. Estimated average cow-calf margins were $438 per cow in 2015. Does this sound about right?

No.
Costs vary widely by operator and by region. I am sure their margin numbers are correct some where some day - - but they are worthless here.
Sterling is guessing that 2017 fall market will be like 2016. Hope they are wrong.
I make more per head back grounding than I do raising sucking calves, and it is over a shorter time frame. :idea:
I see cows as a way to build up soil.

Stocker Steve":13ty09y3 said:
RanchMan90":13ty09y3 said:
Sterling Marketing president John Nalivka projects cash profit margins for cow-calf producers in 2017 will average $78 per cow. That would be $99 per head less than the estimated average profit of $177 for 2016. Estimated average cow-calf margins were $438 per cow in 2015. Does this sound about right?

No.
Costs vary widely by operator and by region. I am sure their margin numbers are correct some where some day - - but they are worthless here.
Sterling is guessing that 2017 fall market will be like 2016. Hope they are wrong.
I make more per head back grounding than I do raising sucking calves, and it is over a shorter time frame. :idea:
Same here. I try to make that 2017 margin in 3-4 months with bought calves. A man would have to be a bto to make a living on those cow calf margins.

RanchMan90":2fj13wij said:
Same here. I try to make that 2017 margin in 3-4 months with bought calves. A man would have to be a bto to make a living on those cow calf margins.[/quote]

FinBin numbers show a better return/cow with over 200 cows. They don't calculate return/acre.

Latest posts