Cost of Flush

Help Support CattleToday:

TB-Herefords

Reaction score
Whats the general Cost to flush cows? I have some Fall Yearling Heifers I would like to flush and sell eggs on, then push them over to spring calvers. Would you suggest flushing heifers? I have little brains in this area. What's the marketablity of eggs from yearling heifers? They have stacked genetics and great proformance data, really good ratio's too. I still have to get yearling weights and ultrasouding done befor I decide which to ones to flush. Would it be best to breed for fall calves and then flush as two year olds? I would like to get them to spring calvers. I think some have the potential to be donor's and this would be the time to do it from the fall season to the spring crossover.

Thanks for the help

Why not let these heifers prove themselves for a few years. You might save some money. I know as a buyer I'd only buy embryos off of a proven cow that is known to out produce herself.

Do you have a market for the eggs? Most people I know would not buy the eggs unless the donor has proven offspring. As far as cost goes, is usually around $1200. Ours flushed 23 eggs and cost is per eggs after the cost of the drugs and set up.

i agree that a donor quality animal is one that is proven. even though a heifer's pedigree may be stacked...that doesn't dictate she's donor quality or even replacement quality. additionally, some may have concerns about super-ovulating a heifer to begin with- and the effects it might have on the heifers breeding life. $1,200 is about what i payed which included room & board of the donor cow and calf at side for about 30 days. that cost was based on 15 embryo's - beyond that, the cost increase was negligable per embryo (which in our case was good as the donor had 31). although there are probably many reputable companies that provide this service, my hat's off to TransOva. i felt that there service was excellent. good luck.

ROB

I've never met an embryologist that recommends flushing heifers. They all say it's too easy to mess them up for life.

What makes you think they are donors that need to be flushed right now? Are they sired by bulls you simply cannot buy semen on or just your run of the mill $50/straw type of "stacked pedigree"?

That being said, embryo prices have been more insanely priced than corn the past few years. However, those embryos typically come from proven donors.

This is a reply I wrote to a post asking about flushing and costs associated with it. I thought I would just repost it for you.

Flushing can be a very effective way to drastically increase the influence of a female much like AI has increased the influence of sires. However, before flushing a cow you must have a plan. A couple of questions to ask yourself are: Is this cow valuable to others in the purebred business, not just to me? Will I have a strong enough market for her offspring to justify the increased cost of ET? Can I afford to take a loss if she doesn't produce any embryos or if none make pregnancies? How does holding my commercial cows open to use as recips affect my bottom line/breeding plan if they end up open?

All of those are questions that you must answer before you even begin an ET program. Now if you have answered those questions and you still want to try your hand at it, there are a couple ways to go about it. The one that we use and that is the most cost effective is to give all of the set up shots ourselves and then do the AI'ing ourselves. We get all of the drugs along with a regimen from our embryologist. We usually coordinate ours with someone else in the area so that the embryologist doesn't have to come down to flush one cow. The flushing is done on farm, but like I said most often it is at someone elses place since our facilities aren't quite the quality necessary..... they would work if forced to use them. We then either freeze the embryos or do live transfer. You can also take the donor to an ET facility and have them do everything for you. It is more expensive and in my opinion doesn't work as well. It is better to keep cows at home where they are not stressed by new surroundings, as well as the ability to feed and maintain the female like you want. There is also less risk of disease.

As far as costs go, drugs and semen typically run between $300 and $500 depending on the cost of the semen and then you have additional costs for synchronizing the recips. Flushing if I remember correctly costs $200 or $250. Then to freeze or transfer is $50 per embryo. So if you get 5 embryos which is slightly above average, and do live transfer, your cost would be roughly $1,000. Now this is give or take a couple hundred depending on cost of semen, embryologist charges which could differ from ours, boarding fees if you take the donor to the collection facility, AI'ing and shot costs if someone else does it for you. The best way to estimate your cost would be to find a embryologist that is close to you and that somebody you know uses and talk with them about it.

Hope this helps some..... I know it is a little lengthy but there is a lot to consider.

I had two experiences with embryos.

1st I bought a group of embryos from a reknowned breeder. Full sib embryos. My goal was to raise a bull from his genetics as an outcross to my herd and raised under my conditions. I got all heifer calves. I put these embryos in good milking cows in our herd who had raised heavy calves but perhaps were not the ultimate in structure. the ET calves were born and raised right with the rest of the herd in the regular calving season.

Quite a few of my regular AI calves beat these embryo calves at weaning.

The next year we flushed our best two proven old pathfinder cows. Bred them at that time to the most highly proven bull in the breed that met our criteria. Goal was to get daughters to put back into the herd.
spent about 2000 and had good results. got embryos into all the recips we had ready and had good conceptions.

At weaning time I had to reach over a bunch of good AI calves to keep some of these heifers. they have made good solid cows but not spectacular. The ET bull calves got lost in the mix and while we tested a couple they were surpassed by our regular AI calves.

My point is this. I concluded that my hard earned money was better spent and I had better advancement getting a good AI service on every cow and striving for a 70 percent conception on a single service.

I would never waste money on flushing an unproven heifer unless I had someone beating me over the head with money to buy the embryos.

Latest posts