Cost of Corn Gluten in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Just wondering how much Gluten was in your area. Big range here. Ranging here from $139 - $200 per ton.

Guess I Need to go give my commodity broker a big KISS.

$80.56/ton delivered

What does corn gluten look like? Do cattle like it alone, or does it have to be mixed in with other grain?

GMN

GMN":mok5k9nl said:
What does corn gluten look like? Do cattle like it alone, or does it have to be mixed in with other grain?

GMN

We feed pelleted CG so it looks like all the other pellets. Some cows do have a palitablility issue with it at first but usually get used to it after a few days.
The CG is mixed with cracked corn and soy hull pellets. But we used to feed just straight CG when we needed a high protien level supplement

dun

Dry Distillers Grain (DDG) $90 a ton picked up at plant
Wet Distillers Grain (WDG) $26 a ton picked up at plant

have never feed it before but thought I might go pick up about 4 ton of DDG plant 36 miles away

Anywhere from the cost of trucking to about $30/t. This is meal, sometimes dry and sometimes wet. Pellets are qite a bit higher. Of course we have 6-8 plants within about 60 miles of here and 3-4 coming on line in the next 2 years.

Corn gluten and ddg's are not the same thing. Corn gluten comes from a wet milling process and ddg's come from a dry milling process. Corn gluten has a higher protien level. You really can't compare the two by price.

We tried corn gluten last year - weren't realy too impressed with it. How's your all's gains when using it? We also felt like the cattle just didn't look as good when using it.

Corn Gluten works better as PART of a feed --around here its mixed 50:50 with soyHulls. They balance each other real well.

I've never fed Gluten alone- but NC State has a paper out about feeding it free choice- that had good results.

There may be a reason why some areas do well on it and others don't. My extension agent says that our local mill has a better quality product than other mills do.

Latest posts