Cost of butcher beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
How do you guys figure the cost of having a steer butchered for consumption by others? Tell me what costs do you figure in to charge the folks who are buying it already butchered???
Excuse my ignorance on this.. just never have done it for others.

My processing costs are about 50 cents a pound hanging. So just take your anticipated hanging weight and figure how much you want to make minus the processing if you include it.

We sell 3 or 4 steers a year and we charge $2 per pound on the rail, cut and wrapped. We just had 2 killed the other day and our guy said that we are losing money doing it that way. He said we should charge $1.75 per pound plus the actual processing cost. Hmm...

ranchmom77":2zpgyqlz said:
We sell 3 or 4 steers a year and we charge $2 per pound on the rail, cut and wrapped. We just had 2 killed the other day and our guy said that we are losing money doing it that way. He said we should charge $1.75 per pound plus the actual processing cost. Hmm...

He77, I wouldnt do it for that amount. Can take a 7 wt steer to the sale barn and make almost good as that, and not even have to mess with feeding one out, taking it to the butcher, and all the other work involved.

We have our own USDA Label and our meat is processed by a USDA processor. We process 9 to 12 longhorns a year. Sell packaged, vacuum packed, frozen at year-around Farmer's Market locations as well as at our Ranch store. Our packaged meat readily sells for $6.00 a pound for 98% lean ground beef up to $19.00 a pound for tenderloin. Roasts and steaks are in between. All of our cuts sold average out to around $7.60 a pound. It works for us.

Bill

Running Arrow Bill":16orohgu said:
We have our own USDA Label and our meat is processed by a USDA processor. We process 9 to 12 longhorns a year. Sell packaged, vacuum packed, frozen at year-around Farmer's Market locations as well as at our Ranch store. Our packaged meat readily sells for $6.00 a pound for 98% lean ground beef up to $19.00 a pound for tenderloin. Roasts and steaks are in between. All of our cuts sold average out to around $7.60 a pound. It works for us.

Bill

I used to do that and found that I didn't have enough hamburger customers. Couldn't get enough markup on the meat to keep the store open. Basically, it was a breakeven deal so I stopped in '08

We sell a few head of drug free corn fed beef every year too. Most of the time it is a qtr or half and it is sold by the top live weight from our local barn. They pay the processinf which is around $125- 150 per quarter. We also sell from our home, whichis licensed. I charge pretty close to market price for everything. I check at the stores and move accordingly. Right now gr beef is $4/lb. We have been doing this for at least 6 years and have loyal customers.

Latest posts