Corrientes?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I was noticing how cheap they run. Are they good for anything other than roping?

It is a breed of cattle. They are usually the breed used in team roping and steer wrestling.

It's kind of funny that back in the late 50s and early 60s, any cattle we broguht across the border from mexico were referred to as corrientes

What would happen if one crossed a Corriente cow with a Jersey bull... tiny, heavy milking, easy calving, athletic little cow with a wicked set of horns? :lol2: Maybe?

I'd been contemplating cow sizes and figured that if I can have a 1300lb Hol/Angus nurse cow that raises 3 Hol-cross calves with ease, why not have an 800lb low maintanance Jersey cross that can raise 3 calves with ease? Just seems more economical and the Corrientes look like really rugged creatures. Even if the smaller cow could only raise two calves, if she could do it on just grass all summer and not need hay until late October, I'd be better off than using the Hol/Angus who needs alfalfa pasture after late-summer and needs hay in mid-September.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure you would be improving anything by adding the corriente, but I see where you are going with this.

You might be better crossing the jersey with a very easy doing individual, not necessarily a breed, that does well on forage alone (though I of course will suggest murray grey :D ) but I reckon you might be better off if the jersey was 3/4 and only a quarter of some easy doing beef breed. Which is trickier to arrange I know.

Keren":3kniuxw4 said:
I'm not sure you would be improving anything by adding the corriente, but I see where you are going with this.

You might be better crossing the jersey with a very easy doing individual, not necessarily a breed, that does well on forage alone (though I of course will suggest murray grey :D ) but I reckon you might be better off if the jersey was 3/4 and only a quarter of some easy doing beef breed. Which is trickier to arrange I know.

I agree. With the corriente you're removing milk and just getting smaller physical size. If the cow milks well enough to raise multiple calves she's gonna need good feed. Milk takes input!

For a nurse cow I'd rather cross jersey with a good milking moderate hereford to get the temperament and a cow that will be about 1000lbs. They'll easily raise 2 calves on just grass and breed back, if want to put 3 or 4 calves on her you'll need to supplement.

I've had alot of jersey hereford F1s a few years back that consistently raised two calves, their own and a holstein bullcalf that was grafted on them.

I also had herefordXholstein and holsteinX angus. The jerseyXhereford consistantly raised the best calves followed by angusXholstein followed by herefordX holstein.

edited to add: Remember nature don't tolerate extremes and 800lb cows is certainly leaning towards the extreme on the lower end.

I have a set of corriente cows that I picked up for cheap that I breed to angus bulls and there calves all come out black and healthy. They are some of the easiest calving, easiest breeding suckers there are.

dun":1bb6u8jc said:
It's kind of funny that back in the late 50s and early 60s, any cattle we broguht across the border from mexico were referred to as corrientes

Spanish meaning is "trashy or cheap".

1982vett":ipbsareh said:
Onthebit":ipbsareh said:
And what is a Corrientes? :?:

Fence crawlers!
the corrientes ive been around "ropin' stock" where more calmer than longhorn. we had more jumpers and wilder longhorn then any. corrientes horn length and frame size more moderate then the longhorn

ALACOWMAN":3v6vsmh4 said:
1982vett":3v6vsmh4 said:
Onthebit":3v6vsmh4 said:
And what is a Corrientes? :?:

Fence crawlers!
the corrientes ive been around "ropin' stock" where more calmer than longhorn. we had more jumpers and wilder longhorn then any. corrientes horn length and frame size more moderate then the longhorn

Hey now, I didn't say any thing about being crazy or wild. :lol2: I just said fence crawlers. :nod: Maybe they just like to use barbwire to scratch and itch. Guess barbwire is a close resemblance to cactus and mesquite. :p

Cross to a Dexter. You will reduce the frame size without sacrificing much if any "milkability". I run a few and they are plenty meaty, and docile to boot - just smaller in size but they fit nice in the freezer.

PML

My brother-in-law and sister raise corrientes and corrientes x longhorn crosses for the rodeo industry. Right now that is really the only market for them. They say that they are really hardy and handle extremes in temperatures (they live in SW Idaho) and they never have to assist in calving. They are born small and very vigerous. I am wondering what a corriente x jersey bull would be like. Big toad stickers and major attitude :D

HOSS":q607o4n9 said:
My brother-in-law and sister raise corrientes and corrientes x longhorn crosses for the rodeo industry. Right now that is really the only market for them. They say that they are really hardy and handle extremes in temperatures (they live in SW Idaho) and they never have to assist in calving. They are born small and very vigerous. I am wondering what a corriente x jersey bull would be like. Big toad stickers and major attitude :D

Don't know that it would be an improvement on either but couldn't hurt anything either. :nod: