Corriente semen needed!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Where can I get some purebred Corriente semen? My cousin has 4 longhorn cows, and we need to breed them AI. We'd like to use Corriente on them for roping calves.

[email protected]

I believe SEK has corriente semen

<A HREF="http://www.sekgenetics.com" TARGET="_blank">www.sekgenetics.com</A>

dun

> Where can I get some purebred
> Corriente semen? My cousin has 4
> longhorn cows, and we need to
> breed them AI. We'd like to use
> Corriente on them for roping
> calves.

Hey Dun where all do you get your semen I've heard you say before that you AI 100% of your herd. Just wondering what all animals you used. We've been using bulls from Accelerated Genetics for a couple years now on our heifers. Jake

[email protected]

ABS and CRI/Genex (now have absorbed Alta). I've tried to get semen from Select Sires but the local rep won't return calls. Accelerated won't deal with the independent dealer that we used to work with and we aren't on a regular route for their own rep.

dun

> Hey Dun where all do you get your
> semen I've heard you say before
> that you AI 100% of your herd.
> Just wondering what all animals
> you used. We've been using bulls
> from Accelerated Genetics for a
> couple years now on our heifers.
> Jake

We use either Polled Hereford or Red Angus. Unless you are looking for those two breeds the ones we use wouldn't do you much good.

dun

> What bulls are you using we are
> looking for a some different ones
> to start using...

For smallish heifers we use Basin 79E from ABS, we've used HLH Buster from CRI/Genex and BC HOBO 1961 from ABS. Hobo calves look "potty" because they have such tremendous capacity, but they turn out to be really good cows. For bigger heifers, usually x-breds, we have used Glacier Nyack. They're born easy and grow like weeds. They're long and skinny at birth but they really fill out well. We used Cherokee Canyon last year and really like the calves but his daughters calving ease numbers really suck. I talked to Gini Chase (Mrs. Buffalo Creek) and she said they've had no problem with his daughters that they have kept. This year we used a lot of Glacier Chateau from CRI/Genex, I've seen his daughters and they are really dandys. Glacier Nyack isn't cataloged by ABS any more but we picked up an extra cane of semen to use in future years. We like Nyack well enough that we use him as a cleanup bull on cows. In the past we used KCF Bennett E135, a Polled Hereford to add some heterosis, really like his calves. Just bred one of his daughters last week. He isn't available anymore so we used KCF Bennett J119, not my first choice, but Select Sires doesn't seem to want to do business with us. They had our first choice after E135. You have to realize that our breeding program and our selections are based on OUR requirements and wouldn't necesarrily be right for anyone else. We select bulls for small to moderate birth weight with above average weaning and yearling weights. Milk isn't an issue unless it's too much milk. We like moderate milk and smaller statured cows. We like cows under 1100 lbs and closer to 1000 is prefered. Grass isn't an issue this year, but most years lately we've had poor grass conditions. Our weaning weights without creep, even from heifers run in the low to high 5's seem to average around 540. That's at about 6 to 6 1/2 months. Sorry this runs so long! If you want other information you cn e-mail @ <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>

dun
> Actually I've been looking at Red
> angus for some of our red females
> what are the bulls you would
> suggest?